Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Doom ³: The Movie

mje said:

Mario Bros. was one of the most terrible movies ever. :(

I have it in my "so awful I had to buy it" dvd collection. I remember seeing it in theatres, funniest parts about it: the guns were super scope 6's painted silver, and the script ACTUALLY SET ITSELF UP FOR A SEQUEL. I mean, COME ON.

I also have street fighter, the live action one with van damme and the skinny-ass M. Bison... another terrible flick.

Another game->movie one is tomb raider. Though I didn't see it, I'm sure it's terrible :p

Speaking of, I'm looking forwards to AvP. I mean... Think about it for a second. It's a movie... made from a game... that was made from two movies. How bad can it be? :P

I thing I'm worried about is if te movie goes to hell like every other game realated movie ever made. PG-13!?! It's an M rated game! that at least needs an R. About the creature effects, how about the guy who did the warewolves in underworld? Thery were basically an animatronic suit. If CG monsters were to be used on real sets, they would stand out just enough to not look that real. If they used that I wonder who would play the CyberDemon?

Actually, I've heard Tomb Raider's not that bad.

Oh, and Street Fighter!! Ah! Forgot about it!

Until I see it, I'll assume that it blows donkeys....

A straight game to movie can never work.

If the Doom movie is going to do well, it has to start from scratch at the basic underlying ingredients that feed the Doom world. The biggest charm of Doom was the exploration of hell, a journey into an unknown world of fear and torment. The atmosphere came from the isolationism, the hostile creatures, the depiction of torment and the bizarre, twisted architecture. More than anything, the feeling that you should not be there.

If you strip every thing down until you are left with only the smallest plot devices (UAC, gateway experiments and government secrecy, 15 minutes of it to kick the movie to a start), you can take the above concept almost anywhere you like. You can throw in a moral element that describes the victims and the reason for the suffering, so that you are both piteous and sympathetic of them at the same time. You can explore the heirarchy of the denizens of hell, give a character to the antiheroes that rule this domain, create twisted monsters that visually portray the worst of the worlds evil. You can create utterly surreal buildings, dark gothic structures a mile high with one tiny door, bridges that have one end and stretch to infinity with tormented souls stoicly walking them despite the futility of it, caverns made of the flesh of sinners, bitter mockeries of the kingdom of heaven pocketed inside twisting towers made of giant eyestalks.... you can do so much if you take away the chains of the subject matter and just run with it.

It has to be a story about hell itself, and not just a tacky action movie where the hero saves the day and then has sausage and mash for dinner.

Okay, i think game to movie doesnt really work. Tomb raider, never saw it, Resident Evil, never saw it. Actually, I heard Resident Evil was good, but... well, screw them, some morons I know said that. But the only game-movie combination I ever liked was Spiderman. I dont know or care if anyone agrees with me, but I thought BOTH were good, Spiderman: The Movie, game. and the ACTUAL Spiderman movie. I think they could have gotten a better guy to play spiderman, but hell, he does get the slightly dorky aspect of Peter Parker going there.

Anyway, I just hope I don't see any goths there... I mean, I don't have anything PERSONAL against those little weirdos, apologies to any of you out there, but I've played Doom too long, I reach for the nearest sharp object or shotgun whenever I see a pentagram.

So... game to movie conversions are bad because you've never seen them? Excellent basis of judgement. Just excellent.

Anyway, I just hope I don't see any goths there... I mean, I don't have anything PERSONAL against those little weirdos, apologies to any of you out there, but I've played Doom too long, I reach for the nearest sharp object or shotgun whenever I see a pentagram.

Excuse me? It sounds to me like you're trying to confuse goths with satanists, and there is most definitely a difference. Fyi, I'm a goth (I might as well say so, everyone else seems to think so, but when I think about it I am beacuse I do know what goths are), and just because someone is a goth doesn't mean they're going to be wearing a pentagram.

Anyway now that I'm done with that. Fuck the movie, the game is the movie if you ask me. As realistic as it is and the way it is its just one huge ass interactive horror film, the best one ever, and we're gonna be in it in 18 days.

predat0rian said:

I say the movie should be so scary that it should be rated "ENTER WITH YOUR OWN RISK!!!"

*looks at the House of 1000 Corpses movie poster on my wall and reads "The most shocking tale of carnage ever seen"*

Uhhh...that wouldn't mean much.

Melfice said:

*looks at the House of 1000 Corpses movie poster on my wall and reads "The most shocking tale of carnage ever seen"*

Uhhh...that wouldn't mean much.

hahaha, so true

House of 1000 Corpses was a silly, silly film.