Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notadoomer

what is your favorite wad editor of all time?

My favorite editor of all time is dck and i would want to know what other people use to make their wads. so what is your favorite editor of all time?

notadoomer said:

i would want to know what other people use to make their wads

I'd have thought the "Tools used" field in the text files that accompany WAD releases would have told you all you need to know...

DooM Builder all the way. I remember over a year ago, I was trying out various editors - DEU, HEU and the like. I got good with visualizing texture alignment. But then I was thinking of doing HeXen - that's when I finally found about DeepSea. It was the most powerful editor at the time, but I only had shareware.

But then DooM Builder entered my life, and for textures I just have to hit the 'a' key at strategic sidedefs in order to instantly do what would take 3 minutes beforehand... the saved time really adds up. And I can do natural areas more, also, having perfectly aligned curvy cliffs. :D

I used Wadauthor in the past,but DoomBuilder is now my choice.

I could live without Doom Builder by switching to Deepsea, but I have nothing that can replace XWE.

WadEd. Check out my levels, which speak for themselves, before judging on the program -- a tool is only a tool, after all.

I used to use Wadauthor, but wouldn't get very much done. Then I switched to Doombuilder and well, I kind of fell in love with it.

First I tried out DCK when I was young (14 or 15years old I think) and filled e1m1's garden with cacodemons.

And then I tried mapping again in 2002 with wad author, etc...

Now I am using doom builder and it is probably the best editor ever. :P

I use both doom builder and wad author.

WadAuthor: For sector construction, thing placement, minor texturing, minor floor/ceiling adjusting, tagging

Doom Builder: Majority of texturing, Texture alignment, lighting, majority of floor/ceiling adjusting.

I just started messing around with doombuilder quite recently.

I used to use a combo of WinDEU32 5.24 and Doom Builder (WinDEU for building, DB for texturing) because I didn't know how to drag vertices in DB. Now that I've discovered how, WinDEU has been trashed, and Doom Builder is the one I use. After all, there's no support for Zdoom/Hexen/Jdoom/<insert port here> in WinDEU.

By the way, right click to drag stuff in Doom Builder.

I first started out with WadAuthor but found it to be way too slow and time-consuming to make good maps with.

I switched to Deepsea and fell in love with it - UNTIL I realized the unregistered version had a map-size limit which crippled me considering I could only make pee-wee sized maps.

I stuck with Deepsea anyways, so later I ran into Doombuilder. I fell in love with not only its simplicity, but also its awesome auto-texture-alignment, its 3d-mode, and just everything about it.

No doubt about it, my favorite wad editor is easily:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
DooMBuildeR
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
CodeImp is tha man - DOOMBUILDER 4-EVA!
=)

Nothing can beat WadAuthor/DoomBuilder combo (in my world of sadness & despair)

Since Doombuilder came out, I can't go back to using any other map editors. The 3d mode is especially helpful, and a big timesaver.

WadAuthor, DoomBuilder, XWE combo, for me. I have heard great praise for both DoomBuilder and DeePsea, but I cannot make a map yet using just those. Not intuitive enough for me. I can't understand them. Some of the greatest maps you'll ever see are built with only these, but not for me.

Each person must decide for themself what is the best tool to work with. Maybe only one or two will have an interface easy enough for you to understand. I won't dis any of them (other than for personal reasons.)

Choose your poison. When you find it, you will know. Whichever one it is that allows you to make your imagination come true, THAT is the one.