Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Crendowing

(Not) User-Friendly

Ok, I think it's safe to assume that most of the "modern" generation of FPS gamers have been abused by Windows and know very little, if anything, about DOS.

The purpose of this poll is to find out if many of we "elite DOOMers", as I have called you guys before, happen to be DOS literate or illiterate. In particular, I want to know whether you support launchers/frontends or wish that DOS should be the only legal way to launch games. Take your pick:

Windows 98 makes getting to pure DOS a huge pain. Sometimes the DOS prompt just won't cut it, and I am almost always SOL when that happens. I think I'm going to take a hint from some of you guys and put together a DOS based system for purposes of classic gaming.

Speaking of User Friendly, do any of you guys read that comic? It's great stuff. Check out the website here.

in win 98 dos is almost non functional

Bull...works fine for me. :)

My fucking version of D! wont work, even if I reset in DOS...I remember it working perfectly in Win95...damn microsoft.

Bill Gates is watching you!

Bullshit indeed. Win98 has perfect pure DOS, which is basically the same as DOS 6.22, but with FAT32 support, therefore better. If you are looking for pure DOS, edit MSDOS.SYS to allow you not to load the Windows GUI at boot.

the only frontend i use is the standard legacy launcher. everything else is pure dos commands.

Ppf. Let DOS die.

I used it for many, many years and it was always a good friend, but c'mon, it's not exactly cutting edge now, right?

Ppf. Let DOS die.

I used it for many, many years and it was always a good friend, but c'mon, it's not exactly cutting edge now, right?

All this coming from the biggest computer guru of all at DW...

Bullshit indeed. Win98 has perfect pure DOS.

Not entirely, but for the most part. But definately not while running Windows of course.

Dos is very user friendly:

to navigate type:
cd.. goes to an upper directory
cd..\.. goes to an even higher upper directory
(etc)
cd\ goes to the root directoy

dir/w directory listing in wide format
dir/p directory listing with pauses every page
dir/ad directory listing of subdirectories only

mkdir makes a directory
del deletes things
move moves things
copy copies things

of course you can always type a letter and a colon and you go to another drive.

-----
I'll tell you what isn't user-friendly:
3D Studio Max

I havent been able to figure it out even with manuals, docs, tutorials and the helpsystem (but then again, I cant figure out doom mapeditors either - not the controls, but how to make levels).

Bullshit indeed. Win98 has perfect pure DOS.

Not entirely, but for the most part. But definately not while running Windows of course.

Of course not while running Windows, that contradicts the definition of Pure DOS... No OS can emulate DOS perfectly and still run itself in the background... Some say WinXP does it in the best way possible... Even in Win98 I had some games that wouldn't run in pure DOS, because they conflicted with the Win98-specific version of EMM386, but they would run from within Windows DOS box, because the Virtual machine emulation somehow fixed things up.

I am the one you used to make fun of and call loser................... Now I am back. Back for vengence. Back for blood!

Too obvious.