Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

9800 pro users not need worry about frame rates

We all remember the old beta test that anandtech did and how the Geforce series cards were ahead, I noticed that in the high quality tests with 512 mb memory, a 3.06 with hyperthreading, and the old i850 chipset they were getting very nice numbers at 1024x768 which I figure most of us will use anyways, as seen here

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-12.html

over 60 frames high details in a beta. I guess if you take into factor that the game is now retail and I'm sure there's been many optimizations etc, that the game should run even better then that. I was worrying and thinking about buying a 6800 GT, but after seeing my 9800 pro going 60+ frames high quality on a BETA version of the game, I think I'll hold off. I know there's several 9800 pro users here so I thought I'd bring this back up.

Arioch said:

What if they've added more features since then?

I'm sure they have, but they've no doubt optimized the ARB2 render path that the R300+ and NV30+ cards use. I'm sure that having a 3 ghz or 3 ghz equivilant cpu and a gig of fast ddr memory should compensate for any loss.

Well of course I wasn't suggesting that I or anyone else rush to upgrade over our 9800 Pros. I was just suggesting that the final may not actually run as fast or faster as the beta did.

I also have a Radeon 9800 Pro. Personally, I'll be happy if the game runs with little or no choppiness. I probably won't be able to have the graphics on the absolute best settings, but I'm sure it'll still look great.

I, also am the proud owner of a Radeon 9800 Pro. Though my processor (Athlon XP 2000+) is a bit of a bottlekneck.

Deathmatcher said:

I´m lucky to own a X800 Pro.

Where do you live?
Also, when is your house empty?

Heh, i dont know what i have, other than its a geforce 4 and has 64mb, ah well, i'll have to find another RAM stick to get up to 512, and hope my 2 gig athalon can cope...still, i dont expect to be running it in anything other than low detail for a very long time, but even at low detail it will look better than my only other favorite modern FPS, SOF2

gatewatcher said:

Hopefully a 9600pro is arround 40-50 fps then.

Highly doubtful considering you have only 4 pixel pipes

Ralphis said:

I hope I get a decent rate out of my Geforce 4 MX 440!

I hope I get a decent rate out of my Geforce 4 MX 420!

...sigh. It kind of annoys me when people freak out when they can't get anything above a constant 30 fps.

Skeletor said:

...sigh. It kind of annoys me when people freak out when they can't get anything above a constant 30 fps.

Yes, damn them for wanting a smooth game experience

/sarcasm

Why is it that people with a more update computer love to put down those with less up to date specs?
30 fps is enough, considering the human eye can not see above that. I personally cannot see a major difference between 30 and 60 fps except some minor smoothing of movement, anything below 30 is when you'll see a huge difference.

Majuub said:

Why is it that people with a more update computer love to put down those with less up to date specs?
30 fps is enough, considering the human eye can not see above that. I personally cannot see a major difference between 30 and 60 fps except some minor smoothing of movement, anything below 30 is when you'll see a huge difference.

That is exactly what I'm saying. With constant 30 fps, there really isnt much of a difference between 30 and 60.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh shit, let's please not start this shit again. Every time I see this argument started, it ends up with someone getting killed. True story.

In any case, why in the world are they only testing it at 60hz? Good god, that refresh rate makes my eyeballs melt.

But glad to see that it's running like that at High Detail. Makes me feel better about my GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, which is slightly below a FX 5900 Ultra...

AlexMax said:

In any case, why in the world are they only testing it at 60hz? Good god, that refresh rate makes my eyeballs melt.

Doom 3 is capped at 60fps

AlexMax said:

Every time I see this argument started, it ends up with someone getting killed. True story.

LOL. Well, kind of why I didn't elaborate :)

Ah, thats what i have..bad thing?

I need more sodding RAM too, i might just get a 256mb stick at 400mhz and hope it works with my 133mhz ones..

deathbringer said:

i might just get a 256mb stick at 400mhz and hope it works with my 133mhz ones..

I hope that was a joke.

and IMO, people are WAY overestimating the requirements for Doom3.

Amaster said:

Doom 3 is capped at 60fps

No, the refresh tic is capped at 60 hz, it can draw above 60 fps. Big difference.