Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ph0b0s

Bugs in Doom Collector's Edition

Hey,
OK I've been a Doom fan since age 6 for starters, so I have all the original dooms and stuff. But my dad had ehar they don't work on WinXP, and I figured they wouldn't either. So he bought this Doom Colelctor's Edition thing, you know all 3 original Doom games. And the box claims they run under XP. However, I keep running into this same annoying bug over and over again. I'll be in the middle of playing, and suddenly the game will turn sideways. I mean, like the screen turns sideways, almost as if you were to turn the monitor on it's side, except the monitor is still upright. Sometimes when it goes sideways it even switches to this horrid looking 256 color. When I exit the game, the WHOEL DESKTOP is sideways! I know how to fix the desktop, butthat bug keeps showing up in Ultimate Doom CE and Final Doom CE. (I havn't played Doom II CE much on the XP)

So, do any of you have any clue what's going on here?

thanks,
staph

(ALSO...i tried installing the original Doom games on the XP. you know the ones that first came out 10 years ago, and they still run int =o the exact same error....it almsot appears to me like ID did absolutely nothing to tweak CE's performance....)

Perhaps it makes sense to suggest he looks at this, tries several, and decides for himself which one suits him best for general-purpose use.

Assuming no one can suggest a solution to the actual problem he asked about, of course.

It looks like your video card is a real mess if you get the same issue with both Windows and DOS engines... good luck with any others; maybe some use a sufficiently different method of rendering that will work with it.

But, of course, checking what Bloodshedder said makes sense as a first step.

Grazza said:

Perhaps it makes sense to suggest he looks at this, tries several, and decides for himself which one suits him best for general-purpose use.

Assuming no one can suggest a solution to the actual problem he asked about, of course.

Wow, ATB Doom sounds cool!