Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deldelda

wadauthor help in teleporting monsters (DV-style)

I'm wanting to make a large, DV-style map, in which the enemies will warp in at key points and make for fun battles. I don't need to explain this, however, as I'm sure you've all already played Deus Vult and know what I'm talking about ...

I tag the line the enemies must step over to warp, and tag the sector to warp to with the same tag (one if you must ask), but it says I have an invalid tag on the warp-line. I also have changed the line to the 'teleport monsters only' option. What am I doing wrong? (Do I possibly have to tag the destination object, or have the object in the tagged sector?)

Oh PS I'm using WadAuthor, but since I read the thread on which editor is best, I may try to learn DoomBuilder too.

deldelda said:

(Do I possibly have to tag the destination object, or have the object in the tagged sector?)

If you are using ZDoom with a Hexen format map you have to tag the destination object.
If you are using standard Doom format you just need the destination object in the sector but make sure it appears in all skill levels.

Alright, I have the destination object in the sector, but it still says "Linedef 111 (fyi: the linedef to cross to teleport to the sector) has an invalid tag; the linedef requires a non-zero tag that references at least one object".

1. How do I use wadauthor (<--edit) (this is for doom2, not hexen) to reference an "object"?
2. Do certain sector tags do different tags? Because I usually tag things in order, one first, two second, and so on. If so, is there a big list of tag properties that I'm missing out on? Because it says my tag is "invalid" but it references the sector to warp to. And yes, it's the front sidedef (not the back) that is facing the enemies to warp to the sector, so I know the problem isn't that.

Apparently you don't have a sector with the proper tag. Are you sure the line and sector have the same one?

would it help if I posted a link to the file, so someone could fix it and tell me what they did?

deldelda said:

please tell me why the imps won't teleport and what the problem was.

• They don't wake up (i.e. they don't hear you)
  • You have no sector with tag 1
That's pretty much it.

Sector 13 has a tag of 1.

And assuming that no walls between me and the imps are "block sound", they should wake up, right?

EDIT:

I was tagging all the sidedefs in sector 13 with a tag of one ... but I didn't realise I had to go to the sector tab at the top and click on that little box on the bottom, and drag it to one ... okay, thanks.

DOUBLE-EDIT:

Okay, I'm having trouble waking up them thar imps. Any advice? PS I re-uploaded the map, so now they warp ... if you clip your way into their room to wake them up, that is ...

deldelda said:

Okay, I'm having trouble waking up them thar imps. Any advice? PS I re-uploaded the map, so now they warp ... if you clip your way into their room to wake them up, that is ...

There are basically two ways to do that. The common method in the original Doom is to connect the room with the teleporting monsters with the rest of them map, with a slim sector. Another, IMO cleaner way is to set the teleport rooms sector to the same number as sector in the normal part of the map. When the player's shot is heard in that normal sector, it will also wake up the monsters in the teleport room (since it's the same sector number). To make the monsters teleport in at a special time, you can simply surround the monsters with a raising or lowering sector or door.

Yeah, I know a level in doom2 that had the first method used in it ... but yessir, I like the second one, and I like the delay feature you mentioned, too! I'll have to use that, because it sounds really cool!

Thanks for all your help!

The monster teleport takes 2 sets of tags:

Create one sector, or use an existing one.(where you want the enemies to teleport to.)

Give it a tag number.

Put your teleport destination there.

Make your holding area outside the normal gameplay area. I make these with 4 sectors: One is where the monsters are, 2 is the door or lowering floor, (or whatever you are tagging to release the enemies.) 3 is just something besides the door to give a teleport line. 4 is an area beyond the teleport line that the monsters can move into.

Tag your teleport line. Make sure the front is facing toward the monsters or WadAuthor ignores it is a teleport unless they happen to walk back across it the other way.

Select the teleport line and then "properties"

Change the tag number to that of the sector you already tagged with the teleport destination. (Of course, also make sure it is given the properties of a teleport.)

Figure out what action you want to release the monsters. (walking across a linedef, activating a switch, etc.)

Tag the door or floor sector in the holding area with the same number as the activating line. (make sure the activating line is set to make it an opening door or lowering floor so the monsters can get out and cross the teleport.)

If, as Boris asked, the monsters can hear the player, they will move as soon as a door opens. Select the properties of the sector the monsters are being held in and change the sector so it is the same as one you know there have already been some gunshots fired in.

Monsters can also tell direction, so don't put your teleport line in the opposite direction the player is when the triggered door opens.