Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Dreamcast Doom (Linux & Compet-N)

Okay lately I've gotten a habit of watching Compet-N demos windowed with PRBoom. I remember hearing about a port of Boom to Dreamcast through Linux and quite frankly, I want in. =)

I'm good at following instructions so long as they're correct. Could someone tell me how set all this shit up? Would I need to get a keyboard for my Dreamcast or is there a GUI like Dreamcast emulators?

The thought of having my Dreamcast constantly showing Doom movies in the background of my room sounds utterly dünifty to me.

I gave up trying to get Doom DC working. You're supposed to burn the zip onto a cd, and the Doom wads on another. Problem is, I can't get the damn thing to boot up (and yes, I'm using a boot disc).

So if anyone can let me know as well how to burn this sucker. Maybe I burn just one of the files? I'm not familiar as to how to burn DC games, so I'm clueless.

So if someone who has successfully burnt Doom DC I'd like some help too.

Whoa, deadnail made a topic. Ph333333333333r.

/me takes another hit and buries my brother.

Obviously everything I say here is useless and someone has something against it, maybe I should come to a realization that my contributions to this board are meaningless!

Although saying I hate console gaming really doesn't help anything about installing a source port on a dreamcast hehe

By the way, where did all the edit buttons and such go? They disappeared... ugh

I always hated console gaming..

I agree. The only good console games are racing games and some of the RPGs, though I like PC RPG's better.

Oh right, how could I forget SNES.

Ok, thats a decent system. I was practically in love with the Final Fantasy series and I still am to this day. The only system that looks moderately pleasing is the PS2. The Dreamcast just looks like a futile attempt at a 128 bit system; even though the graphics are decent, not many good games were produced. I think they halted the production of Dreamcast games anyhow? If I'm correct that is

Actualy, the Dreamcast is the best bet right now. Production on games hasn't discontinued, but Sega decided to stop making consoles or something like that. Anyway, Dreamcast has some pretty cool games on it, but PS2 doesn't. The only reason for getting the PS2 is to play PSX games and DVDs. The worst part is that it only has 2 controler ports. X-Box doesn't look very promising, and neither does Game Cube (have you seen the new Link)?

I guess Dreamcast isn't really that bad, but I have never really been a fan of Sega consoles. I was more of a Nintendo fan.

The Gamecube doesnt look that promising, my friend is obsessed with it though and works at nsider.com so he's always trying to change my perspective on things.

I'm a big fan of Playstation though, and as of now there really aren't many games released but I'm sure there will be a lot of hit releases soon (I hope)

Maybe I mixed up Sega discontinueing console production with game production for some weird reason, oh well.

Point taken =)

deadnail is trying to get the linux port of PRBoom working on DC linux on the DC. That seems much more complicated than just getting the Doom DC port to work. I haven't tried either, but heres a link for linux stuff on DC someone gave me.

BTW, saying consoles suck is as ignorant as saying PCs suck. Gamecube, PS2, X-Box currently don't seem to have too much to offer, but I'm tempted to bludgeon someone with a classic Castlevania, Contra or Technos game cart for dismissing consoles altogether as sucking. Bash X-Box, PSX, PS2, and N64 all you want though. Gamecube has potential but it better get some damn 2D games. PS2 is eventually getting a decent amount of good stuff in spite of its questionable quality and Sony's BS. You have to look beyond the shitty American and European markets and hype to see just what consoles have to offer. And emulation is a poor substitute for the real thing.

I never said console gaming sucked, I just said I never really enjoyed it as much as PC gaming.

(should have worded it more correctly)

Consider me ignorant, but I don't like it as much as PC gaming.

I used to hate dreamcast. Until I bought one with Quake 3, UT, Shenmue, MK Gold, DOA2, & Kiss Psycho Circus for under $100. Since then I've picked up Marvel vs Capcom 2, Star Wars Racer, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 for $10 a piece.

Not to mention, it's much faster than PS2. The only games with load times are Q3 and UT, and the loading is for only 5 seconds. None of this 30 second or more loading on the PS2. Not to mention, the price tag can't be beat. The only thing that's luring me to the PS2 is Metal Gear Solid 2 which will come out for the X-Box (and possibly the PC) anyways. PS2 is like the N64. The predecessor was great, but the new system sucks.

Whoa, deadnail made a topic. Ph333333333333r.

/me takes another hit and buries my brother.

INSOMNIA CURED!!

The only system that looks moderately pleasing is the PS2. The Dreamcast just looks like a futile attempt at a 128 bit system; even though the graphics are decent, not many good games were produced.

Ignorant banter. The Dreamcast has 8 megs of video memory with texture compression to boot, the PS2 has only 4 megs and no texture compression. Because of this, if you haven't noticed, most PS2 games run at 640 by 350 and not 480, and there is a helluvalot of jaggies in even the latest games like Devil May Cry. To compensate they use that damned film effect, which seems like a combo of FSAA and motion blurring, and in the end it looks like ass.

I mean, Silent Hill 2 and RE: CVX... both of those games look like I took my glasses off and that's rediculous. There's no damn question that RE: CV on DC looks a helluvalot sharper and cleaner, with better texture detail to boot.

X-Box doesn't look very promising, and neither does Game Cube (have you seen the new Link)?

I've seen quite a few screens and clips of X-Box games and there's no doubt they'll have the best graphics. Of course, if the games aren't fun there's still no reason to get into it. And the Gamecube? Its getting all of the Resident Evils remade in 3D glory that even a PS2 can't do, and its also got exclusivity to RE 4. That's enough reason for me to buy one right there, even if it weren't for Metroid Prime (FPS!).

deadnail is trying to get the linux port of PRBoom working on DC linux on the DC. That seems much more complicated than just getting the Doom DC port to work. I haven't tried either, but heres a link for linux stuff on DC someone gave me.

See the link worked for me. Don't put an apostrophe between the url bbcode and it'll work, stupid ass bug. I tried DC Doom. Wouldn't boot. I burned some DC NES and Gameboy emulators and they did.

Even if I could get DoomDC to behave, will I be able to play demos with it?

I used to hate dreamcast. Until I bought one with Quake 3, UT, Shenmue, MK Gold, DOA2, & Kiss Psycho Circus for under $100. Since then I've picked up Marvel vs Capcom 2, Star Wars Racer, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 for $10 a piece.

Quake 3? Its okay, for DC anyway. Shenmue? Looks great, just wish there was a game in that huge piece of shit somewhere. UT? That's a helluva party game right there, the DC port rocks. MK Gold? It was better when it was called 4 and was on the PSX. DOA2? Bouncy bouncy. Kiss Psycho Circus? Um, I wouldn't openly admit to owning that.

You need Soul Calibur, dammit. That and some Cap vs SNK.

Not to mention, it's much faster than PS2. The only games with load times are Q3 and UT, and the loading is for only 5 seconds. None of this 30 second or more loading on the PS2. Not to mention, the price tag can't be beat. The only thing that's luring me to the PS2 is Metal Gear Solid 2 which will come out for the X-Box (and possibly the PC) anyways. PS2 is like the N64. The predecessor was great, but the new system sucks.

You should try playing Soldier of Fortune for DC, it still has the insano loading times. You're dead right, though, the PS2 has some fucking rediculous loading times.

Soul Calibur (DC) vs Bloody Roar 3 (PS2)
Big detailed arenas vs small arenas that are mostly square
Highly detailed characters vs slightly higher detailed characters
Lots of voice vs lots of voice
Loads in 1 second vs loads in 25 seconds

The PS2 is just like the N64 and the Saturn in that these three systems have a lot of potential that can be tapped, but doing so is a ragged bitch because they are nigh impossible to program for.

ok deadnail, what you do is download the .zip file, and unzip it. next, what you do is double click on the .cdi file. you will probobly need disc juggler but i use nero ( if you have nero, us cdi2 neri to convert it ) then burn the game. ( does not need a boot disc ). then what you do is burn your i wads on a seperate cd. you will probobly have to rename them. it should tell you what you have to rename it to.
doom.wad -> not sure if full Doom 1
doom1.wad ->shareware Doom
doom2.wad -> Doom 2
doom2f.wad -> French version of Doom2 (missing Nazi stuff)
doomu.wad -> Ultimate Doom
tnt.wad -> One episode of Final Doom
plutonia.wad -> The other one :P

that's precisely what i needed. unbelievable how it's easy to find doom dc, but no clear instructions on how to burn it. i must've read the readme a million times.

Okay I got the cdi file. I have Nero 5 somewhere but that program is totally fucking useless so I'd rather try burning the CD with a needle and a zippo. Naturally Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum bombs out when I try to feed it the cdi, oh well. CDRWin might use it but I doubt it would use it properly.

So I'm downloading the demo to Djuggler which is an absoludicrous eleven Holy Jesus Lord of the Dance megs. This son of a bitch had better work.

I have already modified my iwads with the demos and tried them with the original executables and they play fine. =)

Dammit, hurry up. Stupid 56k. I want to get out and push.

Fucking Disc Juggler. Who in the neon hell uses this stupid program?! What's wrong with CDRWin!?

The Edit button is right between the PM and Quote buttons.

I NOW HAVE NO DOUBTS WHATSOEVER THAT DISC JUGGLER WAS WRITTEN BY A COCKMONGER OF SOMEKIND, OR PERHAPS A HERD OF COCKMONGERS.

Well I'll be damned, it actually works. I think I'll just add another session onto that CD... one with the iwads... yes, that should work.

I was expecting a framerate higher than 20 though. If its possible to change the retarded control scheme or gamma or somehow get the midi to play its not mentioned anywhere...

I NOW HAVE NO DOUBTS WHATSOEVER THAT DISC JUGGLER WAS WRITTEN BY A COCKMONGER OF SOMEKIND, OR PERHAPS A HERD OF COCKMONGERS.

Hm. Sounds like the kind of program Kat would want to hunt down the programmers of. :->

Step one, burn the damned cdi image (try not to vomit from Disc Juggler).

Step two, patch your iwads with the demos of your choice.

Step three, burn those iwads onto an ISO9660 (whatever, not Joliet) disc.

Step four, put in the DoomDC disc... its self booting.

Step five, at the TITLE SCREEN is where you change games. Scroll up and down with the pad, use the the start button to pick your game. Make sure the right disc is in.

Step six, enjoy your demos.

It'd be nice if there was a text file with DOS LINE BREAKS in it that was written in ENGLISH and not Russian then translated to Swedish that explained all of this shit.

Now if there was just a way to trick the midi into playing and maybe getting the controls to be about ninety percent less fagbastardly this would really kickass. =)

sigh... i worked all of last nite and didn't get a chance to try it out yet... well, there's tonite! dammit, school, end already!

Maybe you should try keeping your eyes open, you mindless twit.

Well there's a bigger problem, the Episode 4 movie and all of the Doom 2 movies DESYNC. NO! GODAMMIT!

I gave up trying to get Doom DC working. You're supposed to burn the zip onto a cd, and the Doom wads on another. Problem is, I can't get the damn thing to boot up (and yes, I'm using a boot disc).

So if anyone can let me know as well how to burn this sucker. Maybe I burn just one of the files? I'm not familiar as to how to burn DC games, so I'm clueless.

So if someone who has successfully burnt Doom DC I'd like some help too.

Try the forums at:

www.dcemulation.com

Got mine working first try, but then again I have been doing this crap for a year now. :)

Anyhow, I am very VERY eager to see DOOM on the DC about a year from now, if DehackED support works its way in, I'll be shitting! :)