Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
useless warrior

Doom 3 engine speculation

http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/download.php?view.45

For those of you that haven't heard, Rtcw 2 was unofficially announced by Todd Hollenshead, you can check it out by going to the url I posted. He doesn't say who is developing it or on what engine. The doom 3 engine seems like a definite possibility. I'm not too pumped because I thought Rtcw was a pretty average fps, all nostalgia aside.

But more importantly (and on topic I promise), he says that Id is not interested in doing a Doom 4, which would probably be a remake of doom 2, which would have been pretty sweet. Instead he says Id is going to pursue a new IP (intellectual property). This alone is worth discussion. My mind races with the possibilities, but I keep thinking about Carmack saying he wanted to do Rpgs...

One more thing, the commenter speculates that the new IP will have a new engine and goes on to mention how Carmack said he had "one more engine left in him".

This is great news to me, because I thought Carmack was going to retire after Doom 3. Having him stick around is a good thing in my book, he is a guy that has used his position and prominence in the industry for good things. It's going to suck when we lose him.

However it seems premature to say that the next game will not use the doom 3 engine. Assuming the engine has any flexibility at all, it should be here for a good long while, in one form or another (quake engine anyone?). So if my speculation is true we could have Carmack around for a good while before he designs a new engine. Which makes me feel warm inside, kittens all around!

Back when they were making the decision on what to do next, the two options they had to choose between were Doom3 and an RPG called "Quest". If my memory serves me correctly.

The question is, whether the new engine will be an improved doom3-engine (similar to the quake2-engine being an improved quake-engine) or something completely new. id mentioned it wouldn´t take them another 4 years to do the game so it is likely they will keep a considerable amount of stuff from the doom3 engine for their next game and add, say, shader 3.0 and stuff to it.

I remember Quest. I had mixed thoughts about it. Could be good I guess but I'd rather see something else. Whatever it is, I hope they implement displacement mapping. That just looks too sweet to ignore.

-E

I really think ID doing a Zelda64-esque adventure game would be cool. It certainly wouldn't be as great as a Zelda game, but probably pretty sweet.

They will most likely do another first person shooter since that's what they like to do and what they do best, but hopefully they'll try a slightly different style and not do yet another Doom/Quake inspired game.

I'd like to see a first-person perspective massively multiplayer game, set in a sci-fi environment. Elves and pixies and shit like in Everquest do nothing for me. Unless they were severely lovely hi-poly bump-mapped elves who wore bugger all. But I'd rather see a gritty, somewhat more life-like, albeit futuristic, setting.

And giant fucking guns, none of your wave-a-wand crap.

With hi-poly bump-mapped physics-enabled ultra-femme hi-tech mercenaries wearing bugger all.

Hey, it's not easy being a sad old git... ;)

I read an interview with Carmack that stated that doom3 wouldnt be the last in the doom series (that would be insane) but for their next game Id wants to create a new game that isn't a doom or quake and that the engine for the next game wouldn't be as great a leap as between quake3 and doom 3 engines.

The bigger question here is, while JC might stop making engines, will he stick around id, and more importantly, who will make engines for id now, and will they be as good as what JC did?

Alientank said:

The bigger question here is, while JC might stop making engines, will he stick around id, and more importantly, who will make engines for id now, and will they be as good as what JC did?

That's not a very good question. That's nothing more than huge speculation, and not even good speculation at that because there's nothing to back any of it up.

gatewatcher said:

That's not a very good question. That's nothing more than huge speculation, and not even good speculation at that because there's nothing to back any of it up.

Considering JC has said before that he wants to focus on other things in interviews before, and that he has probably one engine left in him, others here I'm sure recognize the interview as well. I just don't have a link to it. So yes it is a damn good question.

How is it a good question if he's already said he's got at least one more engine in him? And how is it a good question when you question him taking another position in id, rather than build a new engine? And how is it a good question when you say "who's going to build them now" when afaik he's still the one doing the building?

Besides, what makes you so sure they would even need someone (or multiple people) to build new engines? I'm pretty sure it's been said that id believes they can use this new engine for years down the road.

So no, it was a stupid question. It doesn't really even make sense.

Well I think it's a good question alientank. This is essentially a speculative thread, just because no one could answer the question doesn't mean you can't speculate about the future of id. In fact:

spec·u·late
1 a : to meditate on or ponder a subject : REFLECT b : to review something idly or casually and often inconclusively
2 : to assume a business risk in hope of gain; especially : to buy or sell in expectation of profiting from market fluctuations
transitive senses
1 : to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence : THEORIZE <speculated that a virus caused the disease>
2 : to be curious or doubtful about : WONDER <speculates whether it will rain all vacation>

Weak.

Ok let me try. I think carmack will kill everyone at id, giving id no future. I base this absolutely on nothing, which is ok.

Scabbed Angel said:

Why are you always so whiny and critical of people?

Because like you said, everyone is stupid. Which is why I suppose you can all say Carmack is finished despite the fact he's basically said he's not. As for being whiny, well I'm not being whiny here, I'm just trying to show that what alientank said is wrong, not to mention half unintelligible.

Thanks for contributing, your mongliness has derailed the thread nicely.

I don't think Carmack is done, it just seems to me that in most of your posts you could afford to act less like an asshole to people. I appologize for my mongliness and encourage the thread to continue... although I'm suprised you'd mind if it was derailed.

i think they will be using this engine for a while to sqeeze out everything the engine could do

the lone crouton said:

I'd like to see a first-person perspective massively multiplayer game, set in a sci-fi environment

Planetside? Neocron?

gatewatcher said:

Because like you said, everyone is stupid. Which is why I suppose you can all say Carmack is finished despite the fact he's basically said he's not. As for being whiny, well I'm not being whiny here, I'm just trying to show that what alientank said is wrong, not to mention half unintelligible.

Thanks for contributing, your mongliness has derailed the thread nicely.

You are being a whiner, fuck man, people agree like scabbed angel, all you do is bitch and moan about everything. JC said himself another engine left in him, ok, so whos going to do it after him? That is a question, and it's the one I asked which is totally valid. As for saying people are stupid, you just made yourself look like an immature assclown with this remark

gatewatcher said:

I think carmack will kill everyone at id, giving id no future. I base this absolutely on nothing, which is ok.

You say others are stupid, yet this is the most stupid out of place thing I've seen in this thread so far. I speak for a few when I say "STFU".