Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShaneAmp

More Keys?

Is it possible to create more keys in a Doom? I guess theres 6 already, but say i wanted like 10 for a level, that possible?

I'm not sure about this, but couldn't you use ZDoom to borrow some from Hexen, which has 11 keys already?

I guess he means it would have 11 plus the doom 6, but i dont understand much about that hexen format stuff, having never edited for zdoom

Ichor said:

I'm not sure about this, but couldn't you use ZDoom to borrow some from Hexen, which has 11 keys already?

It won't work. Even in ZDoom keys are so hard coded to their game that there is currently no way to extend their number.

You could try using the hexen puzzle items instead? It might be inconsistent, having a couple keys in inventory and the rest on the hud, but it should do the trick. You'll just have to spawn them with ACS and give them graphics (search zdoom.org/wiki for spawnspot)

Plan B then. Use items as keys. They just won't show up in the status bar. What I mean is you can use scripting to make an item act like a key, with a certain door or switch only working if you possess that item.

ok, if they dont show up on the bar would there be any way to make it so you know which ones you have?

Perhaps you can use the Heretic/Hexen inventory and just use some of Hexen's puzzle items as your keys?

Doesn't ZDoom have some feature to make your own pickups? (I believe it's called the DECORATE lump...)

Yeah, you can make a fake pickup (doesn't do anything if you don't attach a script) with an attached action to execute a script, maybe one which stores a variable or lowers a blocked segment of the door instantly? Like a thin blocking sector with a script to say "You need Darkhaven's big-ass key which you will have to drop all your weapons to hold to open this door." when the player presses use. Then, when you pick up the key, lower the sector...Etc...

Oh and EDGE lets you use a selection of new keys (green skull, green card, wolfenstien kets and some 'elemental' ones), however you need to make pickup items, pickup messages and doors to be opened by them yourself in the DDF, cause the makers couldnt be bothered!

[/EDGE pimpage]

Darkhaven said:

Yeah, you can make a fake pickup (doesn't do anything if you don't attach a script) with an attached action to execute a script, maybe one which stores a variable or lowers a blocked segment of the door instantly? Like a thin blocking sector with a script to say "You need Darkhaven's big-ass key which you will have to drop all your weapons to hold to open this door." when the player presses use. Then, when you pick up the key, lower the sector...Etc...

Why do you need the blocking sector at all? ACS is good enough to avoid such tricks completely.

you could use dehacked to make some items that aren't used able to be picked up somehow and change the pictures of them to make different ones like purple and green cards. I think that might work with other suggesitons

Using remote doors. lowering columns, etc., you can make a huge and complicated level without any keys at all. Or use in combination with the three keys for even more possibilities.

normally i probly wouldnt use keys, but i was attempting to redo a level from an old FPS, The first one i ever played, before the SNES doom even! But it needs a key for every door in ever level, so i dont think i can complete it based on my knowledge, at least not for a while!

alright, it may not have been released before doom, but it was 93. It's not that good of a game, but i used to play it on a big screen and it was the first FPS id seen, so it's a little nostalgic. The game was called Escape From Monster Manor, and it was for the 3DO Console, most people ive talked to have never heard of it, the ones that did said it sucked, but i always liked the haunted manson theme of it. Its more like Wolfenstein, all sectors are the same height, no floor texures, but the graphics and animation even look decent today, it was all done from clay models, and the resolution was higher. The worst things though, was it only had one gun, and everything took one shot heh. So probly as far i go will be just mapping the levels, and maybe make them death match.

Oh, and i took all the textures from screenshots, and mapped the first level out, looks just like it except for the player height is lower.

I would like to see that still. N64 and PS1 were my only consoles, and I got them just for Doom but still like others. Blood was great if Monolith would ever get all the bugs out of their game engine.

Id post a screenshot, but i dunno how to put one on here, you can google the actual game, i found screenshot when i did it.

yeah i rented it a few tmes way back when it came out, but didnt play it again until a this past year when i found an used copy of it. So i thought id try mapping outa copy levels for fun.