Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holering

Official minimum specs?

Which I find to be bullshit, didn't they say somewhere that in actuality, the game was not going to run any faster with over 1 gig of memory?

Alientank said:

Which I find to be bullshit, didn't they say somewhere that in actuality, the game was not going to run any faster with over 1 gig of memory?

yep these specs are official

these minimum requirements are apparently courtesy of id's CEO:

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
• 384 megabytes of memory.
• Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
• An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

Alientank said:

I agree, 2 GB???? That's a load of crap. Hmmmm . . . 2 GB for a game, I miss Commander Keen.

If 2 GB is REALLY recomend then there will be a lot of disapointed DooM Fans.

Peace,

The Bruce

Fuck it, I've only got 1.5Ghz, and 512... It was good enough (kind of) for the alpha, it'll be good enough for me for the game! And it wasn't even optimized!

On a AMD 1.6 athlon, 512 megs of ram, and a geForce ti4200, at default settings, and with NO SOUND, the alpha ran beautifully on my system. With sound, it was shoppy when you fired your gun, but I would imagine that's more of an optimization/whatever problem than anything.

At 1024x768, FarCry demo ran just fine, with most of the settings somewhat above default.

Therefore -- I guess that system specs of that type should be just fine for an acceptable DOOM 3 experience. Of course, there's nothing wrong with upgrading if you've got the cash. :) I certainly would.

AirRaid said:

Well fuck. My graphics card is below the minimum spec :/

You could probably find a minimum spec quality card for between 50-100 dollars.

BlackFish said:

I suggest you nab a quick video card upgrade. An ati 9800 128mb is less than $200!

Agreed.

Man, 2 gb Ram? What BS...

I have £0 to spend.

But it's not that far under. I have a GF4 Ti 4400. But to see them quote such a high card as minimum sorta surprised me.

2 gig of ram, i think that must be a misprint, you sure its not HD space, yeah even gamespot refers to 2-4 gig HD space not RAM.

Lectrix said:

2 gig of ram, i think that must be a misprint, you sure its not HD space, yeah even gamespot refers to 2-4 gig HD space not RAM.

It could be a misprint. But who know, maybe 2 GB would be better. After all the Game industry drives the hardware market.

Peace,

The Bruce

tkmaster said:

just to let you know

geforce 4 mx is actually considered below Geforce 3 when it comes to performance

yeah, i know. dont have the cash to upgrade though. I stick with nvidia though. no ati cards for me.

*sigh*.....dont you guys see that the 2 gigs is what they recommend for a high end system? They're not saying you need 2 gigs.

Skeletor said:

*sigh*.....dont you guys see that the 2 gigs is what they recommend for a high end system? They're not saying you need 2 gigs.

Yup, I see that. But it still seems too much. I guess they could have said a high end system could use 4 GB, but is that REALLY any less resonable than 2 GB? Not for a high end system but that doesn't address our questions of what is needed to play DooM 3 smoothly.

Now I would agree the high end system they have posted is kickass. But are they just tring to say what a high end system is; or does it really have to do with what Doom 3 needs?

I have the power,

The Bruce