Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Looks like they might have ditched the ultra-gay looking gibbing

I like gibbing, I hope it's in Doom 3. Remember that trailer we saw before though, with the super cheapo gibbing where the bodies seemed to just fall apart from a shotgun blast? That looked way too fake, after watching the new vid, I didn't see any gibbing, which is a good thing in a few ways, it doesn't look as cheesy as it did before, but I hope you can still smear imp all over the wall.

Do you mind not complaining about stupid shit that doesn't really matter or effect much of anything at all, game-wise?

It seems like the zombies will have gibbing (since they are people), and the demons will be engulfed in flames. I think it looks really cool.

The way they "melted" in the latest video looked very VERY cool as far as I'm concerned.

Reminded me a lot of how the mutant vamps in "Blade II" burned in the light.

I love it.

mediaxs said:

The way they "melted" in the latest video looked very VERY cool as far as I'm concerned.

I love it.

Ugh, please don't ever talk about Blade 2 and Doom 3 in the same sentence ever, ever again.

That’s exactly why I didn't like it. This isn't blade, this isn't Buffy, damn it this is DooM! I don't want my dead imps to melt away I want them sitting their full of hot lead for visual and yes sexual pleasure damn it! So help me god.

Melfice said:

Ugh, please don't ever talk about Blade 2 and Doom 3 in the same sentence ever, ever again.

I agree.

I really hope they beefed up the gibs from the E3 demo because I was underwhelmed. Somehow I doubt it though.

They should make the gore like JTHM, so whenever something gets stabbed there is a ton of artereal spray and flying viscera.

Wow, what the fuck does the effect used in Blade II have to do with the movie?

I thought the effect was cool. Yea, Blade II sucked. The effect works though.

You guys act like children.

It's sure as hell a better effect than just having the enemies vanish in a blink to save game rescources to stop pcs from slowing to a crawl. There might be a corpse stay option added later anyways.

Just for you pleasure:

Blade II and Doom 3.....Blade II and Doom 3...........Blade II and Doom 3.......Blade II and Doom 3........Blade II and Doom 3......Blade II and Doom 3......Blade II and Doom 3....Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3.

Happy now?

Black Hand said:

That’s exactly why I didn't like it. This isn't blade, this isn't Buffy, damn it this is DooM! I don't want my dead imps to melt away I want them sitting their full of hot lead for visual and yes sexual pleasure damn it! So help me god.

I like it, it's becoming the standard effect for banishing evil things. It's clean and doesn't distract. If there's got to be a standard, this one works for me.

mediaxs said:

You guys act like children.

Blade II and Doom 3.....Blade II and Doom 3...........Blade II and Doom 3.......Blade II and Doom 3........Blade II and Doom 3......Blade II and Doom 3......Blade II and Doom 3....Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3...Blade II and Doom 3.

Happy now?

Who acts like children?

-E

Melfice said:

Do you mind not complaining about stupid shit that doesn't really matter or effect much of anything at all, game-wise?

Do you mind not saying stupid shit like this won't affect the experience when infact it will if you think it looks totally lame every time you gib someone?

Really, what a stupid thing to bitch about. It is most likely to reduce the performance hit from all the bodies laying around.

It's a given that "corpse stay" will be an option, added later, or modded.

It's such an anal thing to worry about in what will be a great game.

At least the method to deal with bodies actually looks pretty cool.

You sit there and say "this isn't blade, it's doom 3".
Try and seperate the special effects from the movie you find them in.

If you can't then I guess anytime you see gushing blood in a movie you're gonna bitch, "omg, Kill Bill rip off" and write the movie off based on that.

Hey, let's start another thread on how gay the slime on the hellknights mouth looks. Because that's so damn important to. The slime is such a rip off of the lame movie "Cujo" cause that dog had drool n' stuff...yup!

I never compared it to movies or anything, so I don't know what you ass clowns are talking about. I said that it didn't look like it fit in with the game right, gibbing does, but that doesn't look like something I could take as real gibbing. I mean, a shotgun shot doesn't make an entire body rip apart but apparently the doom 3 one does!

mediaxs said:

Really, what a stupid thing to bitch about. It is most likely to reduce the performance hit from all the bodies laying around.

If you can't then I guess anytime you see gushing blood in a movie you're gonna bitch, "omg, Kill Bill rip off" and write the movie off based on that.

Hey, let's start another thread on how gay the slime on the hellknights mouth looks. Because that's so damn important to. The slime is such a rip off of the lame movie "Cujo" cause that dog had drool n' stuff...yup!

Calm down there Skippy. Regardless of all the drivel you’ve assaulted me with, it doesn't change anything. When you can backtrack through half a level and see corpses of monsters you’ve already killed it adds a very real feel to the game.

You really blew that movie thing out of proportian their is a significant difference between a corpse being their and NOT being their.

Oh you know what would be totally cool, maybe if when you shot at the monsters they should suddenly turn into 1000 rose pedals that fall slowly to the ground and then disappear that would be GREAT!

Alientank said:

Do you mind not saying stupid shit like this won't affect the experience when infact it will if you think it looks totally lame every time you gib someone?

I say it won't effect the experience because It won't. And if it does effect your experience then maybe you just shouldn't play it because obviously it's not good enough for you.

mediaxs said:

You've said it. Performance wise having all these high poly corpses on the ground isn't practical. I also figure that possibly they were unable program a sufficient physics variable system: IE: They didn't want models to clip through the dead ones and had trouble properly coding/animating an active model stepping ontop/over a dead model convincingly, so for the sake of simplicity, and the determination to keep a form of constant realism that doesn't give way to a graphical glitch they decided to them vanish.

Exactly.

I'm not the only one who has a clue.

And the shotgun doesn't make an entire body rip apart in doom 3.

That's the body disintegrating like all the demons do when they die.

It would be silly seeing a hellknight proped up against a dead trite... because of rag doll physics.

I thought that the shotgun being able to gib people kind of sucked, but on the other hand, I really liked the way you could see the skin peel off.

I was kinda hoping zombie gibbing would be achieve through the big ass weapons such as rocket launchers etc, or perhaps loads of shotgun blasts on a zombie corpse. I suppose zombies are practically falling apart anyway. In any case i still want to have moments when i could blast a zombie and see him tumble down a staircase or whatever, seeing the ragdoll physiques. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BlueSonnet said:

In any case i still want to have moments when i could blast a zombie and see him tumble down a staircase or whatever, seeing the ragdoll physiques.

How can you even doubt this? Even the id members where amazed about the situations you can get with the bodies and ragdoll physics (remember the gunning a zombie through a glass window scene).

I think all the zombies are gib-able and the demons desintegrate.

Melfice said:

I say it won't effect the experience because It won't. And if it does effect your experience then maybe you just shouldn't play it because obviously it's not good enough for you.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with that.

If the zombies gib just because you gave them an evil stare (heh), it'll really take away from the immersiveness. Think about how cool it was in Doom when you blasted an imp and it flew backwards from the blast - imagine this with ragdoll physics that would make enemies fly back and crash against a wall to slump lifelessly to the ground, imagine blasting a zombie up close so that he flies back and crashes through a window.
Making enemies gib whenever you blast them with a simple shotgun will completely remove an awesome effect that would add so much to the satisfaction of killing the enemies.

My biggest beef with Quake 2's sp was that enemies got gibbed way too easily, when I was more interested in seeing the neat death animations when I shot them.

Melfice said:

So you're saying if when monsters died they exploded in an explosion of flowers, it wouldn't affect the experience? Quit your whining for once.

in the latest icon show doom 3 video, it shows the scene of zombies tasting shotgun at the bathroom (which was in the pre-icons show video), and when he blasted that zombie in front of him in the shadows, you could clearly see piece of brain flying.

niguel said:

in the latest icon show doom 3 video, it shows the scene of zombies tasting shotgun at the bathroom (which was in the pre-icons show video), and when he blasted that zombie in front of him in the shadows, you could clearly see piece of brain flying.

This is true. The first zombie damn near vapourizes.

My guess is that only certian zombies will behave like this, likely the skinnier ones.

Dest-X said:

This is true. The first zombie damn near vapourizes.

My guess is that only certian zombies will behave like this, likely the skinnier ones.

Well, remember they get back up a few times... heh, maybe we're in for a real treat and they "gib as they're shot" - pieces of whatever flying off - until they're finally dead and then vaporize.