Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sargebaldy

Doom Enigma is dead

Someone asked me about the status of D:E and I decided to call it dead. Anyone with any maps for the project, feel free to release them independently or for any other project you so wish.

Apologies to everyone who was involved in the project. I probably shouldn't have accepted the reigns from Nami in the first place :P

So it doesn't go to waste, here's the logo Thomas van der Veken created for it:

Kudos to everyone who was involved in the project.

[deadproject]sargebaldy[/deadproject] :(

On the bright side, this presumably means a flurry of cool map releases in the near future.

BlackFish said:

Were any of the maps done?

There were 4 in the demo, and i've seen one almost complete map by Chris Hansen.

wow, you mean a project got started and then died before completion

shocking

my entire world is falling apart before my eyes

That's a bit of a shame. As I recall my version of E3M7 was complete (or very nearly complete), so I guess I'll upload it to the archives sometime soon. I think I was also doing another level I was going to say you could use, but I think I moulded it into something else, so at least none of my work has gone to waste.

On the other hand, how many maps do you have complete? And by complete I mean totally ready and just waiting to be joined into a wad file. Maybe it would be an idea (and if the authors don't mind) just to join everything complete so far, and then upload that multi-map wad to the archives. Maybe that would be better than people just uploading what they have done as single levels (if you can be bothered to do it that is).

Edit: What Boris just said :) Having just played through my map all I need to do is a bit of fine tuning with some item placement. I didn't realise I could be so tight with ammo :P

I never even saw a final version of your map, in fact I haven't really got any word about any sort of progress whatsoever in at least a year. I wouldn't release the finished maps, because I don't think that's my call to make. Plus most of the maps are for episode 1 and I don't think there'd be a very nice balance as is. And as the idea was to make a 32 map megawad and I don't really feel like I'd be right in releasing anything less than that. If people would rather release their maps individually or for some other use I think that's their call to make. Chris Hansen seemed to wish to use his map elsewhere, and Ellmo placed his in another set a long time ago.

BlackFish said:

Were any of the maps done?

10 or 11 iirc. I'd check but I don't have Doom on this computer.

sargebaldy said:

I never even saw a final version of your map, in fact I haven't really got any word about any sort of progress whatsoever in at least a year.

Well perhaps you should have replied to the last post in this little thread :P

If you don't feel like releasing the maps you have as a single wad that's your call, but I think it's a shame. I would have thought there is enough to make a pretty reasonable 8 or so map wad. But if not I'll just upload my level to the archives in a week or so.

I think you guys are missing the BIG picture here... a Doom Conversion got canceled!! Rarely do conversions ever get canceled... usually they just stop being worked on and fall apart despite the author's objections that "It's still being worked on and will be released", until he fades from existence. This is big news, and alot of projects being worked on right now need to take a word of advice from SargeBaldy and Doom Enigma.

The Flange Peddler said:

Well perhaps you should have replied to the last post in this little thread :P

aw crap :P

well, there are a good few maps that could be strung together into something but i honestly think it'd make doom2 look consistent in comparison. i can see how you'd want to include your map in some sort of set though. i just don't want to release other peoples work without their permission in some sort of weird hodgepodge set with strange gaps and a large fraction of the maps having already been released in the earlier demo. i have two maps in the final beta myself so i can see where you're coming from, but how it is it just wouldn't be a very pretty release even if everyone wanted to use their maps in it, which doesn't seem to be the case.

You could do a "what we have" release so we get not only cool maps, but all the other features that would have been in it (if there was any other cool features in it), just make sure the 'what we have' release is actually playable, unlike twice risen

Well I guess I understand if you don't want to release what you have as is. I'll release my map anyway. Probably in a week or so, wanna get my CC2 map done first. I'll probably stick some pics of what I have so far (which is about 99.9% done) on WIP soon.

Could I still get a copy of that .deh file? I wouldn't mind seeing how it works, and I'll probably include a tag 666 monster in my map anyway. Any idea of what will happen with lilwhitemouse's contribution?

Anyway, if you do decide to release an 'as is' wad set then tell me and i'll send you the final version of my map once it's done.

lilwhitemouse's contribution was a gift to nami that she in turn decided to use for D:E., so i suppose she can do as she will with it. the deh.. i will have to dig up. how it worked though was it just used the death codepointer from the keen (or cyb, or spider) on an additional monster. the as-is thing is pretty doubtful since it seems most people are already working on revamping their maps for another use (i'll probably do the same shortly). though you might want to get in contact with thomas van der velden, his (wonderful) e3m1 along with yours would make a really great duo set.

the as-is thing is pretty doubtful since it seems most people are already working on revamping their maps for another use

Ah right, suppose that makes sense, if i ever do an 'as-is' release of one of my old Final Fantasy based TC's people might find map 4 VERY familiar...

Well that bites. Why did the project die again? it sounds like people were still working on it. Why not hand it over to someone else?

On my account: I made this level for a megawad, not for a set of levels where half of it has already been relased. As you say, SargeBaldy, this might very well be the general perception among the authors. So in short: I'm gonna use this level as a personal release of some sort. But I wanna thank Nanami and SargeBaldy for having tried to pull a good idea off and for having the integrity to stand up and end things when the hill has become too steep...

sargebaldy said:

you might want to get in contact with thomas van der velden, his (wonderful) e3m1 along with yours would make a really great duo set.

I might just do that. Were any other E3 maps complete? They together might make a reasonable little wad (assuming the authors don't mind).

Use3D said:

Well that bites. Why did the project die again? it sounds like people were still working on it. Why not hand it over to someone else?

they weren't.. or at least i received no real word on it for most of a year. the project was already handed over to someone else, me. i didn't feel like tossing it off to someone else just to get the responsibility off my hands.

The Flange Peddler said:

I might just do that. Were any other E3 maps complete? They together might make a reasonable little wad (assuming the authors don't mind).

i believe you were the only two with E3 maps that had actually gotten anywhere.

ellmo said:

? pwned...

Yes, owned all right.

WHO INVENTED BACKSEAT MODERATION!?!?!?!!??!?!?!? People like me for sure.

Bashe said:

WHO INVENTED BACKSEAT MODERATION!?!?!?!!??!?!?!? People like me for sure.

Thread cleaned of the string of off-topic posts your piece of backseat moderating generated.

OK: first, last and only warning. Next time it's an immediate ban.