Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

The Unofficial Megaman/MMX Appreciation Thread

I bet you thought I was gonna start a Metal Gear Solid Appreciation Thread huh? :p

Anyways, judging short bit in BloodSkull's thread about Megaman X (Thank's to Ralphis's information on the X series), I've been influenced to make this thread. I just want to know if anyone else here is a fan of the Megaman/MMX series. Personally, I enjoyed the classic Megaman games more. I mean, it's cool you can climb walls, power up your weapons, dash mid-air and stuff, etc. in the X series, but nothing can beat the good ol' classic like Megaman.

I recently purchased the Megaman Anniversery Collection for the GameCube and man that was cool. Finally, I don't have to spend 30 minutes trying to find my NES and my NES games and crap. Plus, I never had the chance to beat Megaman 8. I played MM8 at my friends house a while ago, but his memory card got erased :(. I beat MM1, MM2, MM3, and MM8 in about 3-4 days. My brother beat the other games. I have beaten the other games too, but on their original systems. The hardest MM game to beat, in my opinion, was Megaman 1. Gutsman was harder than Dr. Wily for crying out loud! All he did was jump up and down, disabling you for a couple of seconds so Gutsman could throw those big ass boulders at you! The bombs take too damn long to explode, but when they actually hit Gutsman, it's cool how it takes about half of his life away!

Megaman 8 was fun. Those anime cutscenes... wow, the voice acting was really bad, especially Dr Light's... Anyways, overall, the levels (not including the intro stages) were a bit hard and the bosses were kinda easy. Dr Wily was suprisingly easy in MM8. I remembered having a much harder time fighting that bastard. The weapon I used on Wily's first form was the Lightning Chain and I used Flash Bomb for the second form...

The two fighting games that were on the disc were interesting. IMO Power Fighters is better than Power Battles. The addition of being able to do the special attacks (ie: Pressing Up and Shoot will make Megaman do the uppercut) were cool. Although I really don't see why Duo was included in that game... I think it should have just been Megaman, Bass, and Protoman.

On to the X series... The only ones I've played were MMX1-3 so if anyone wants to enighten me more on the X series, go ahead. The SNES MMX games were fun, although I personally thought X3 was the best one out of those. The verticle dash is the coolest feature IMO. The two new mechs were ok. The Gold Armor and Zero's Sabre were cool. I just wish there was a capsule where you can do another Street Fighter move like the Shoryuken and Hadoken capsules in X2 and X1.

Anyways, does anyone else want to share their appreciations for the Megaman/Megaman X series?

I'm probably the biggest Megaman fan on these forums. Not much more to say about it. I can probably answer any questions you have about any of the series and how they're connected and such.

Also, Duo was including as a sneak peak into Megaman 8. TPF came out prior to MM8 as sort of a marketing device I think. The arcade games are weak, but I have fun playing them.

Also of note, MegamanX5 is practically a homage to every megaman game released prior to it. Some connections I've made are:

-Sigma Virus Stage 1 is Quickman's stage from Megaman2

-Many of the bosses are exact replicas of ones from other games

-Many allusions to Dr. Wily throughout the game

-Duff McWhale has remixed Bubblecrab music

-quid Addler refers to Launch Octopus for a few moments before you whip his ass

There are more, but I'm going to sleep

At the end of Power Battles (Duo's ending), it talks about the alien energy and why Duo has to return it. Then it says to find out more about Duo and the alien energy, it says to play Megaman 8. As I had stated earlier in the thread, I beat MM8. But that cryptic anime sequence at the end, I'm still confused. It still doesn't explain where the hell Duo came from (besides from Outer Space). Maybe I didn't pay attention to the craptastic dubbing hard enough... :p

I would like to give mad props to megaman 2 and 3...oh, and 4 too

edit: how many games are in this collection?

There are 10 games in the collection. Megaman 1-8, Power Battles, and Power Fighters. You can unlock remixed music from the games, 3 Art Collections (They're mostly concept sketches) and an interview with the creator of Megaman.

MegaMan X has to be one of my favourite side-scroller characters, but not in a way for me to write a speech about.

I made a shrine for Zero when he died in MMX6, but then he came back in MMX7 and I felt like an idiot.

Coopersville said:

I made a shrine for Zero when he died in MMX6, but then he came back in MMX7 and I felt like an idiot.

What about when he died in X, X2, X3, and X5?

I've played Megaman 1-7, Megaman and Bass (the snes version), MMX 1-6, and a few of the gameboy titles. Despite the series being milked for everything it's worth, as well as the amusing struggle for new boss ideas that were apparent in titles like MM6, I enjoyed them all. Megaman 3 is my absolute favorite from the NES series (I would say 2 for the longest time because of nostalgia, being the first megaman I ever played, but I believe 3 is the superior game). The X series is a tougher call... I don't have a clear favorite.

I suppose I should take a look at the new GBA series' one day...

Well anyway, I like the ones for the NES. Megaman 1 isn't that hard, but there are a few spots that still give me trouble sometimes, like most of the Fire Man stage and a couple parts in the Ice Man stage. The thing I've noticed about all of these games is that it always seems hardest in the very beginning because you have no extra weapons to choose from. Then it gets easier once you start defeating some of the bosses. And my favorite weapon of all time has to be Metal Man's buzzsaw. That thing is fun to use and very powerful, especially when used on Metal Man himself. A close second is Quick Man's boomerang.

Hey... where's the Mega Man Battle Network games?! Certainly you can't forget about those. Even if they don't play like the classic Mega Man games...

MegaMan 2 is easily one of my favorite games ever... One big reason is that I'm horrible at console games, so it's nice to have one in the series that I can actually beat without an inordinate amount of frustration :)

Heh, what about the legends series, eh?

I have the NES versions of 1-6... beaten them all without much trouble... I have 8 for the PS, also pretty easy... X1 and X4-6 were a bit harder than the original series, but it's still a lot of fun, and then I have Legends 1 and 2, though I couldn't beat the last boss on 2. Aside from that I've played (and beaten) MM7 (hardest final boss of the whole series, IMO), Rockman and Forte, MM2-3, and the Gamecube game based off of the battle network games. One of the best frachises out there if you ask me.

I personally think the X series is way easier than the originals. But then again, I can kill Megaman3 in 40 minutes flat.

Megaman Zero is quite an interesting series as well. It's by far the "grittiest" in appearance and harder than any other megamans I've ever played. It also ties in pretty well with the X series which makes me happy

Ahhh Mega Man X was my favorite SNES game for a long time after it came out.

It's hard to believe that the X series started only about a week after DOOM was released. It must be a coincidence, but both Doom and MM plain kick ass.

I've loved all the Megaman games since I was really little, and I still have good ties with them now. Praise be to Megaman and X.

Imp: amen.

MMX has the best music in video game history and the game is so freaking cool.

SFII anyone? Heh, in related info --

Mega Man X had a secret that allowed you to use the Hadoken (fireball) from Street Fighter and Mega Man X 2 let you use the dragon punch.

Pretty cool secrets.

mje said:

SFII anyone? Heh, in related info --

Mega Man X had a secret that allowed you to use the Hadoken (fireball) from Street Fighter and Mega Man X 2 let you use the dragon punch.

Pretty cool secrets.

Lizardcommando mentioned earlier:
I just wish there was a capsule where you can do another Street Fighter move like the Shoryuken and Hadoken capsules in X2 and X1.

Yeah instantly would kill an enemy or boss in one hit. However you need to have full health to use the capsule move. I'm only getting information from Mega Man X though. Man was that game sweet. Hey if anyone is selling MMX2 or MMX3 for the snes give me a pm and ill see if we can arrange a deal.

Mega Man rocks. Here's a short story... for most of my life, I loved video games, then I started to get bored of them. I actually went on a three-year period where I hated video games and stopped playing them, wondering why I had ever liked them to begin with.

Mega Man got me back into video games. Just one day I was insanely bored, and decided to play my NES. I found a copy of Mega Man 3 whcih I had gotten like when I was a kid, and I plugged it in. Instantly I remembered why I had liked games--because there were games like MEga Man, which were FUN.

I agree with the original poster--I enjoy regular MM more than Mega Man X. They just seem to have better, more fun game design. And speaking of X, consider yourself lucky if you stopped at X3--X4, X5, and X6 all suck, as does Mega Man & Bass.