Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
etimmerAZ

Lame Frames Per Second Question

Ok, here is a REALLY dumb question that is bound to send this question to post hell, but here it goes.

All this talk about frame rates I really don't understand. What is a good frame rate? Some say that 30 fps is good, while others say that is really sucks. Is there an optimum? Is there a real difference between 30 and 40 fps? (aside from 10 fps)

Sorry for that lamer question,

The Bruce

Yeah, there are differences (noticable) between frame rates. The point at which a person can't differentiate between frame rates changes, it seems, from person to person (I can tell 300fps from 200), as does the optimum value imo.

For a casual gamer, I'd think that anything above 30fps is fine. If you play pretty often, 50-60 should be the target. If you're pro, at I'd say at least 120 or 130. I personally like my Quake3 rates around 300fps.

Now, if you think for a moment, PAL TV displays at 25fps, NTSC-U and NTSC-J at 23.something and 29.something, and film at 24fps. All these tend to look smooth. So why does 30fps still look a bit choppy at times? The thing is, movies behave differently on screens than videogames when they're displayed. A film has this sort of natural motion-blur from the moving frames which compensates. Games do not.

This does end up affecting accuracy in the end. 30fps will make a player a little less accurate than one playing at 60fps.

the human eye can see ~35fps, so that's good enough for most people.

Haruko, I just don't see how you can tell the difference between 200 and 300 fps....unless of a non-constant frame rate. Maybe you have superman eyes!

choppiness in frame rates is due to an non-constant frame rate, meaning a frame rate that constantly switches up and down. You could have 1000 fps but if its not constant, and the fps switches down and up repeatedly, you will notice a difference in the scene is rendered on to the screen, ie., you'll see a slight slowness.

You can tell the difference between 300 and 200??? Whoah man that's amazing since your monitor can't even refresh that fast :P

Unless of course you've got an absolutely awesome monitor that refreshes at 300Mhz.

DJ_Haruko,

Thank you soooooo much. Finally a reasonable answer.

That was a very good article.

Thanks!

The Bruce