Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

New Interviews About Doom... 3

Gamespy

GameSpy: Can you give us any idea how much hard drive space everyone will need?

Todd Hollenshead: About 2 GB. Also, tell people to defrag their hard drive before they install!

Gamespot

GS: Will there eventually be a way for more than just four players to engage in a Doom 3 multiplayer game?

TH: That's just an artificial limit that we set. You are going to have to have a powerful server to have more than just four people playing on it. People's network connections are going to matter. Doom 3 is basically a broadband-only game. When you start adding clients, you're going to start adding traffic, and you're going to add latency and performance hits on the server. I have no doubt that one of the first mods for Doom 3 to come out will be eight-player Doom 3. But it's my guess that eight-player Doom 3 will be most effectively played on LAN servers.

IGN

IGNPC: Can we expect to see all of the same weapons in multiplayer that we'll see in single player?

Tim: Yeah except for the BFG. One thing we learned from Quake II is that people really don't like the BFG in deathmatch.

One thing we learned from Quake II is that people really don't like the BFG in deathmatch.

As opposed to learning it from, say, Doom or Doom 2

edit: vvvvv WHAT THE HELL

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but why is Doom3 such a bandwidth hog? Aside from player movements and projectiles, what else is being transfered? I would think lighting would be client side, the only other things I can think of is things like rag doll effects and the extra data for the position of player limbs - would I be correct in this thinking?

the more power it requires from an individual computer the more power it requires online. that's the lesson i learned anyway- doom DM is almost instant, while later games such as return to castle wolfenstein require more data transfer.

I'm not a network programmer but I imagine rag doll stuff would be all client side, since it doesn't really matter that the position a body takes when it's dead is synced up.

useless warrior said:

I'm not a network programmer but I imagine rag doll stuff would be all client side, since it doesn't really matter that the position a body takes when it's dead is synced up.

Unless the corpse interferes with your movement.

Hold on a minute. If Quake 2 taught them that people don't like the BFG in deathmatch, then why the heck is there a BFG in Quake 3?

NiGHTMARE said:

Hold on a minute. If Quake 2 taught them that people don't like the BFG in deathmatch, then why the heck is there a BFG in Quake 3?

The Quake3 BFG was not very "BFG-ish," it was more of just a souped up rocket launcher.

Cool interviews. I want this game now. I updated my shipping today on my pre-order to 24 hours/overnight. I want this game now.

-E

Linguica said:

The Quake3 BFG was not very "BFG-ish," it was more of just a souped up rocket launcher.

More like a souped-up Plasma Rifle.

No BFG in DM? THE LORD BE PRAISED!!

It's interesting to note that the next game is going to be made with the DOOM 3 engine, as well.

This marks the first time in id history where they will create a new franchise (the game isn't a DOOM or Quake game), and use the same engine as they used on their last game.

Well, unless you count Dangerous Dave and the Haunted Mansion, which --MAY-- have used the Keen engine. I don't remember. But anyway, you get the point.

kristus said:

hmm.. looks like I gotta defrag again. sigh.

I'm formatting my hard drive, what chu talkin bout foo? :P

And no BFG? Well, that one right there dealt a chocking assblow to badfish! Although someone will make mods/maps with bfg in it :D

Heh. That would be neat if some of the oldschool DOOM players came into the scene and dominated DOOM 3, proving they could actually handle a 3d game. :D

Depends if the BFG was taken out on the engine level, because it's an even bigger bandwidth hog or something; or they simply didn't put any in the DM maps shipping with the game.

mje said:

It's interesting to note that the next game is going to be made with the DOOM 3 engine, as well.

This marks the first time in id history where they will create a new franchise (the game isn't a DOOM or Quake game), and use the same engine as they used on their last game.

Well, unless you count Dangerous Dave and the Haunted Mansion, which --MAY-- have used the Keen engine. I don't remember. But anyway, you get the point.

That wasn't a NEW franchise, there was a Dave game before it.

mje said:

Well... up to DOOM II they produced additional sequels of the same game. Only the Quakes were a fully engine based franchise where the base engine remained the same, but at the same time developed considerably, and the game content retained a vague theme but definitely varied (like with the Heretic and Hexen games.) In any case, the Quake era may end up being a transition between the true game sequels and the totally different releases with the same engine base that might occur in the future. All in all the Quakes were different games. The franchise is just a name. Perhaps they needed it to ensure sales; maybe now they don't, for some reason... either for their reknown as a company, the close backing of the video card industry, or (more likely) both.

They got rid of the BFG in DeathMatch!!?? It just isn't the same with BFG! The only people who don't like BFG are whiny n00bs who suck at dm.

I hope they make the BFG in Deathmatch an option. If they just leave it out, that's stupid. Put it in and then give people the option of disabling it. Also, if it's only out because they didn't include it in the maps that'll ship with the game, that's even stupider.

IGNPC: Can we expect to see all of the same weapons in multiplayer that we'll see in single player?

Tim: Yeah except for the BFG. One thing we learned from Quake II is that people really don't like the BFG in deathmatch.

The first mod will remove the artificial 4 player limit.

The second mod will replace the plasma rifle with the BFG. I admit that the BFG is not suited for FFA at all, but I much prefer the BFG in 1on1 maps.

But then again, I guess we'll just see how Doom 3 DM works out...I mean, the only reason the BFG works out in 1on1 in my mind in Doom 1-2 is that you as a player are fast enough to dodge it, with the slower moving speed I'm not sure that's an option...

EDIT: What the hell? How did I think [quote] but actually use [img] :(

Well actually hold on a second... Does anyone know what the BFG does in Doom3? One of my many Doom 2 mods was a BFG that flew through walls and pretty much killed everthing in its path for the entire distance in the level. Fun as hell, but not something you want in multiplayer.

It could be the BFG is much more badass than before, but from what they are saying it doesn't sound like it... Benefit of the doubt?

Also, if it's only out because they didn't include it in the maps that'll ship with the game, that's even stupider.

Actually hats better, it gives map makers the choice of including it, if the engine is actually programmed to prohibit its use in multiplayer, THATS stupid

deathbringer said:

Actually hats better, it gives map makers the choice of including it, if the engine is actually programmed to prohibit its use in multiplayer, THATS stupid

what i meant by "that's stupider" is that they should include the BFG in the included maps and then have the server operator choose whether or not they show up in the map. If there's no BFG's in the maps period, then, even if you wanted them, you can't have them because there are no BFG entities in the maps. That's what I meant...

mje said:

Where have you been? If you've read this post of John Carmack just a while ago, he quotes this...

http://xprize.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=396&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135

"Id vs Armadillo:
I am working on the rendering technology for the next game right now, so it looks like the balance will stay about the same for a while at least."

apsodifugy said:

Where have you been? If you've read this post of John Carmack just a while ago, he quotes this...

Todd H. and Tim W. confirmed it was the DOOM 3 engine, with some enhancements -- not a brand new engine.

Where have you been? :)