Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

Bots?

Any news if Bots will be included with doom3? My 56k is very very evil and won't play online. :(

A little OT somewhat, but is it still set so that only those with broadband can play? I know before they said that 56k won't be supported.

Since I've been using broadband I don't know how I survived without it... exept for multiplayer. Doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is you can't beat LAN for stress-free gaming.

DoomUK said:

Doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is you can't beat LAN for stress-free gaming.

True, but sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to get a game to run on x computers. Just two days ago we tried to set up FarCry at a friendĀ“s system for hours - in vain.

Alientank said:

A little OT somewhat, but is it still set so that only those with broadband can play? I know before they said that 56k won't be supported.

Source?

Scabbed Angel said:

Source?

Oh it would be a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago one of the first Doom 3 interviews, mentioned that 56k is way to slow to transfer all the info for movements etc.

Alientank said:

That probably just means "if you lag, sorry, but we can't do anything about it". I'm not sure why a quote like that would be made, unless they seriously mean like every server would be "you must ping this low --> to enter" heh. Because ANY game after quake1... maybe quake2, is awful on 56k.

When I first played quake3 I was like "oh neat, they added a delay to the railgun to balance it out!" ... then I realized that half-second delay was LAG. Oh my God.

/me rubs his cable modem lovingly

Even though I do have sympathy for the 56k people, gaming is getting so broadband-only'ish that if for the sake of better LAN-like pings across the world they'd mess it up for high-pingers, I'd say go for it (although I don't know how optimizations wouldn't affect both, or would hurt one and help another).

Any old statement that id made concerning the nature of multiplayer code is pretty obsolete since they switched from peer to peer networking to client server.

I bet the code is similar to q3 and will suck on a dailup. Going from q2 to q3 on a dailup was a big difference, in a bad way. Probably why I never played much q3 back in the day.

TwiNCannoN said:

Because ANY game after quake1... maybe quake2, is awful on 56k.

well, that's just stupid.
I only got broadband about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago...now...fuck...has it been that long? Anyway, I played loads of UT on it and it was just fine...quake 3 even, to a lesser extent. Empire earth, starcraft, AoK, jedi knight 2, diablo 2...anything and everything, i didn't mind, you just get accustomed to it...I would mind now, however

Quast said:

I would mind now, however

Mmm hmmmmm...

When I get broadband, i'll drop kick my 56k into the woods. But that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon...So, no bots? No one answered my original question and instead this thread turned into a 56k for doom3 thread...

I don't see why it wouldn't be playable on a 56k. The commands being sent are pretty much the same as those in Quake aren't they? I mean movement and firing is all that's really required, nothing's changed in that department.

The graphics are pumped up quite a bit but that's all your cpu and graphics card.

-E

My guess -- there will be bots. That's just a guess, but I don't remember hearing or reading anything else about it.

If there AREN'T any bots, rest assured, there will be some made by the mod community.

Endureth said:

I don't see why it wouldn't be playable on a 56k. The commands being sent are pretty much the same as those in Quake aren't they? I mean movement and firing is all that's really required, nothing's changed in that department.

The graphics are pumped up quite a bit but that's all your cpu and graphics card.

-E

Well they said before it would be broadband only because 56k can't keep up with all the data being sent.

Endureth said:

The commands being sent are pretty much the same as those in Quake aren't they? I mean movement and firing is all that's really required, nothing's changed in that department.

Physics.

Theoretically if someone shoots a box off a shelf, all the clients will calculate the box tumbling to the same place. Might not happen that perfectly though, due to differing hardware and whatnot, so all that needs to be synced. Which is an extra bunch of packets...

In games like UT 2004 where they just have ragdoll bodies and weapons, not much environmental stuff, this isn't such an issue, but with Doom3 where there are a lot of physics objects which could have an impact on gameplay (boxes blocking lights, for instance), it plays a much larger factor.

And before any rich fucking scumbags say "U all bettr upgraed u gays!", there are people in the world who's telephone exchanges belong to the 1970's, who cant get broadband AT ALL, not that i ever play online anyway, i hate the whole online gaming culture, from idiotic CS players to downright sub-human Everquest scum

it should be an ovious thing that 56k isnt supported. or if it was it would be useless.

doom3 is all about single player, not MP. if you want MP games get UT2004 or stick with quake 3.

yea i too want to play doom3 MP, but most of my time will be single player only. Id was not making a blockbuster online game here, they wanted the ultimate single player experince.

if you are a MP only person doom3 may not be the game for you, or if you plan on playing Doom 3 more online then this game is not for you. other games are made for this and may have better preformance, and more players. simply put doom 3 was not made for MP fans,

Sephiroth said:

if you are a MP only person doom3 may not be the game for you, or if you plan on playing Doom 3 more online then this game is not for you. other games are made for this and may have better preformance, and more players. simply put doom 3 was not made for MP fans,

well considering there's a $50k or whatever multiplayer tournament for it in 3 weeks or so, it cant be all that bad. i'm sure that the tourney is more for publicity and showcasing the game, but i still expect there to be a competitive D3 MP community

mje said:

Mmm hmmmmm...

What? I dealt with and enjoyed my long tenure with 56k...and, as I said, didn't have issues. But after finaly getting DSL service back home, and now cable, I wouldn't go back to 56k

Quast said:

I only got broadband about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago...now...fuck...has it been that long? Anyway, I played loads of UT on it and it was just fine...quake 3 even, to a lesser extent. Empire earth, starcraft, AoK, jedi knight 2, diablo 2...anything and everything, i didn't mind, you just get accustomed to it...I would mind now, however

that's the thing, you "get accustomed" - get accustomed to losing due to something out of your control, get accustomed to constantly being at a disadvantage. There's no real way to play on 56k for any real length of time without either getting pissed or fed up with something, since it's just so much worse than lower ping. It's just so bad in the "newer" games these days because they don't care about modem optimization I guess... but even for broadband, quakeworld really does have a better netcode than like, anything honestly. I just don't get it.

And before any rich fucking scumbags say "U all bettr upgraed u gays!", there are people in the world who's telephone exchanges belong to the 1970's, who cant get broadband AT ALL, not that i ever play online anyway, i hate the whole online gaming culture, from idiotic CS players to downright sub-human Everquest scum

Woah, there. I had to deal with 56gay up to a couple of years ago myself, it may suck but well... life can be harsh. At least you have an option like "move", imagine being accepted to a major sports team and then like getting some career-ending injury :p

TwiNCannoN said:

that's the thing, you "get accustomed" - get accustomed to losing due to something out of your control, get accustomed to constantly being at a disadvantage. There's no real way to play on 56k for any real length of time without either getting pissed or fed up with something, since it's just so much worse than lower ping.

you won't be loosing so much if either you're good and/or you play to have fun and don't give a shit...or play on 56k only servers. there were a few for UT that I tended to play on exclusivly.

Or even RTS games, where a high ping wouldn't put you at much of a disadvantage as say a FPS. I used to consider myself a pretty damn good, not godly, AoE: RoR RM player when that was hot, and i always had a red bar in the zone when everyone else seemed to have green bars.

It's all on how you deal with it. If you're getting frustrated and pissed off about it, you're probably not going to be willing to compromise and change the way you play due to the situation.

But you are right about todays games. But I was talking about the latter half of the 90s when quite a lot of people were still gaming with 56k and the games were suited for it...it wasn't that bad, despite you're saying it was

TwiNCannoN said:

At least you have an option like "move"

who is going to move away from a job/career/family/friends just to get away from 56k?

The trouble is I can afford Broadband etc but it's not available in my area for at least another YEAR! (I can't move because my house kicks ass). I'm sure most other 56k users are in the same shithole as me...

Don't wait a year for it to be available. Call them and harrass them and have them send techs out to see about service constantly.

My cable provider told me they could never service my property.

So what did I do? I called them 2 times a month for 3 years to have tech come out and see if they could service it. Early this year they finally got tired of my bs and ran cable 600 feet to my house.

If I ever own another property that's within a 1000 feet of cable service and they say that crap again, I'll repeat my bi-monthly harrassment until I get service again.

Crisis King said:

The trouble is I can afford Broadband etc but it's not available in my area for at least another YEAR! (I can't move because my house kicks ass). I'm sure most other 56k users are in the same shithole as me...

I have the EXACT same problem...

Oh yeah mediaxs, i'm just about to do just that, but there are no cable companies in sight... or whatever, but i'm gonna bitch anyway.

DD_133 said:

I have the EXACT same problem...

Oh yeah mediaxs, i'm just about to do just that, but there are no cable companies in sight... or whatever, but i'm gonna bitch anyway.

you obviously have telephone service...see if they would/will get DSL service...or maybe even satellite