Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amacratic

Possibility of expansion pack

Has id ever NOT released add-ons for their games after Doom? I think it's safe to say that there will be some sort of expansion pack.

As for co-op, Im going to guess it wont be done by id. Maybe a community project though.

Who knows... maybe id will release "DOOM 3: Earth is Doomed." A cooperative expansion pack scenario on Earth.

Amaster said:

Has id ever NOT released add-ons for their games after Doom? I think it's safe to say that there will be some sort of expansion pack.

Only Quake 3: Team Arena was actually created by ID themselves though. My guess is that there will be at least one official expansion pack, but it'll be made by some other developer.

I'm not holding my breath for an expansion. Mainly because we don't know if the game, or rather, the plot will accomodate for one.
And I recall id being dissapointed with Team Arena. Enough to put them off, maybe?

I'm glad Id was disappointed with Q3 Arena, so was I. I don't see an expansion for Doom 3 for two reasons.

1) I think the whole story will be told in D3 and
2) They're including everything needed to mod the game so they'll just let the community take charge.

I want this game now.

-E

Endureth said:

I'm glad Id was disappointed with Q3 Arena, so was I.
-E

Since when were they disappointed with Q3?! Carmack stated in the G4TechTV video that Q3 didn't sell as well or something along those lines but in no way, shape or form was it said that they were disappointed with it gamewise!!

There will be an expansion pack but Id won't be doing it.

Highlander

highlander said:

Since when were they disappointed with Q3?! Carmack stated in the G4TechTV video that Q3 didn't sell as well or something along those lines but in no way, shape or form was it said that they were disappointed with it gamewise!!

There will be an expansion pack but Id won't be doing it.

Highlander

Endureth's talking about Team Arena.

I would say it's a pretty safe bet there will be one. As far as who makes it, well, it probably won't be id, they'll take on a producing role or something like that I would think.

Just because they said they won't do one doesn't mean they won't get some other company to do it.

I THINK (big "THINK") I remember a quote saying that splashdamage, the same guys doing the mp maps, were also going to do an expansion.

I don't see an expansion for Doom 3 for two reasons.

1) I think the whole story will be told in D3

That didn't stop HL. Doomguy's story isn't the only one. 8D

i am sure they will. team arena was bad. alot of sotres could not sell it. i grabed a copy for $2, quake 3 at the time was still $20.

Hmm best ID expansion in the past... (not counting doom 2)

I gotta go with Scourge of Amaragon for Quake 1. Sick level design, great new stuff, just all around quality. Wouldn't mind seeing ritual attempt a doom 3 expansion pack. Gearbox (the guys who did opposing force) also springs to my mind.

Ritual's latest release was Star Trek Elite Force 2, and it was actually a pretty decent game.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

Ritual's latest release was Star Trek Elite Force 2, and it was actually a pretty decent game.

Not only that, but it probably has more graphical improvements to the base engine than any other game which uses the Quake 3 engine :).

NiGHTMARE said:

Not only that, but it has probably the best graphics of any Quake 3 engined game ;).

Including Call of Duty?

Alientank said:

I was pretty sure that they said before that they won't do one.

And I'm pretty sure they've said TWICE that they "probably will do one". At one point they even said they'd do a single player add-on.

I don't see an expansion for Doom 3 for two reasons.

1) I think the whole story will be told in D3 and
2) They're including everything needed to mod the game so they'll just let the community take charge.

Both reasons are flawed.
1. Doom 3's a retelling of Doom 1 and we don't even know which direction it's heading - there could be plenty of openings for a continuation of the story, taking the battle against Hell elsewhere. Fancy to Earth so that we get a retelling of Doom 2 of sorts.

2. Relying too heavily on the modding community is kinda naïve. Making mods for a game of Doom 3's caliber that are even remotely up to par with the official game is a pretty heavy task that requires years of experience even with all the necessary tools readily available to you.
I'd much rather entrust a full team of professional game developers with making a kickass add-on pack than rely on a bunch of amateurs with no professional experience to make a mod with shitty out-of-place replacement graphics.

NiGHTMARE said:

Not only that, but it probably has more graphical improvements to the base engine than any other game which uses the Quake 3 engine :).

I gotta get my hands on that game. It wasn't on the shelves here for very long.

dsm said:

Both reasons are flawed.

Not flawed. Both of my opinions are just different than yours, don't be a nazi ;)

-E

Endureth said:

Not flawed. Both of my opinions are just different than yours, don't be a nazi ;)

-E

Ok, they're not flawed, but they're not very convincing imo, given the fact that we don't know all the story details and all the ingame surprises yet. I've seen many games that didn't seem to leave the way open for a sequel that nonetheless got a sequel that fit perfectly.

As for the other reason, I didn't find it convincing because just about every mod I've seen out there, however awesome they are, have pretty much always been outdone by commercial games - I'm sure modmakers can do a bunch of really cool mods, but I think it'll take several years before they're really able to exploit the Doom 3 engine in really fantastic ways and by then, the general public (minus the hardcore fans) will have mostly lost interest in Doom 3 (by then HL3 will be all the rage :-P).

Oh and Heil Doom! ;-P

Doom2 is like an expansion pack. An extra weapon, few new monsters, gfx, 32 new levels, new music, still the same game is it not? It's not an add-on per say, it stands alone with it's own exe, but you could call it an expansion in a weird kind of way.

POTGIESSER said:

Doom2 is like an expansion pack. An extra weapon, few new monsters, gfx, 32 new levels, new music, still the same game is it not? It's not an add-on per say, it stands alone with it's own exe, but you could call it an expansion in a weird kind of way.

Agreed, although the trend was different back then and expansion/mission packs weren't really widespread (as far as I'm concerned, they didn't even exist back then).

This also supports my belief that a Doom 3 add-on could retell Doom 2 in a satisfying way. Imo the ideal thing for this purpose would be two mission packs, each with about 15 or 18 levels.

dsm said:

Agreed, although the trend was different back then and expansion/mission packs weren't really widespread (as far as I'm concerned, they didn't even exist back then).

This also supports my belief that a Doom 3 add-on could retell Doom 2 in a satisfying way. Imo the ideal thing for this purpose would be two mission packs, each with about 15 or 18 levels.

oooh, and just imagine the Doom engine rendering real life environments on earth! That could turn out very sweet indeed.