Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CelT

New movie. Cacodemon inside!

That Cherub scene was one of the only things that have scared me in all of the doom3 trailers and screenies. I can't wait for this game.

Some other thoughts on this movie (aside it being amazing, of course):

looks like hand grenade is confirmed. anyone else see that like half-second scene of it being held?

also, reloading is FAST. Wow, chaingun/rl reloaded in like half a second. Good news to me :)

oh yeah and plasma shooting noise rocks :D

edit: also, confirmed cyberdemon, I noticed.

They talked of the monsters they chose to recreate for D3 that were from the originals, so they may have cut a couple baddies out from D1 and D2. :/

Go to PlanetDoom, and look at the characters/enemies list, the caco has been posted, for all you who aint seen him yet.

I think it does have one larger eye from what i remember from the video, however it seems to be constantly shut all the time... and opens on occasion, anyone else know if it has a large eye or was i seeing things?

Oh wait... yep i double checked, i'm not seeing things, its big and orange. It looks like it opens from time to time to check where you are. :D

I think its that slit on his head above the multiple eyes.

Where is it? *lectrix fill Scabby with sceptical joy* It doesn't show in the pic... or is that where what appears to be a skelletal nose?

If only i knew, how to take screenies in real player without it appearing as a black blank screen, i could show ya... :(

Absolutely wonderful.

You know, I had kind of followed Doom 3 with a "Man I REALLY want to get that game when it comes out!" attitude.

After seeing more of the interviews on this clip and seeing Id's motivation behind it, it has turned from a nagging desire to a true lust in every sense of the word to get this game. It is more like the kind of lust that I would be willing to overdraft my checking account ($0.05 in it at the moment with no job) just to get the game. Unfortunately I feel that wouldn't be fair to Id if they didn't get money on it at the same time.

Support for 6 channel surround? Absolutely incredible. Just listening to the infant (Cherub?) crying in that corridor after the lights went goofy made my heart skip a beat. And, that's only from a video clip.

The one thing I have to say that really turns me on to Doom 3 BESIDES having the best graphics technology at the moment (and quite possibly the best that will ever exist) is like I said above, Id's motivation in making a quality game. All of the people at Id had been working on that game for four years, and starting off to a shaky start, Doom 3 had seemed to me, more like a fantasy. More of a "Well shit, I doubt I'll EVER see that in a game" attitude, to an absolute reality. I honestly would say that the people working at Id software are probably the closest things to Einsteins in the 21st century.

I also liked how Carmack addressed the alpha issue in the video clip... His almost agitated attitude toward it was pretty funny. "Whatever! It's not a demo it's a stolen leaked executable!" I honestly hope that it would put some people's worries to bed as he had stated that it was a fresh compile of the technology to put on show at E3. IIRC the audio wasn't even completely integrated for support on the latest and greatest chipsets (Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, for example) and from what I understand all processes were "running on one thread," which would suggest it was all in a serial process and there were no parallel threads to spare for audio and other game functions. Obviously this would probably cause some problems for the gamer playing it as the outputs from the system were all coming in one serial communication to the peripherals, with the mass disorganization in the unoptimized code.

I'm no expert on this theory (though I think somebody from Id corroborated it at one time), but I'd have a hard time believing that the full game would run like that, and the problems it displayed didn't seem consistent with those you'd find stemming from lack of RAM or video resources, especially with things like the broken audio, the skipping ambience, etc...

I really think Id has done an excellent job in their new game. Not only on the technological perspective, but also how smoothly they revived the Doom franchise without (like stated) making the legend seem less deserving of such a title.

I look forward to Doom 3 and I am confident that their new intellectual property will be just as mind-boggling, especially on new fronts. GG Id!

Also... Anybody know if the Doomguy talks in the game? I think that'd be interesting.

Lectrix said:

If only i knew, how to take screenies in real player without it appearing as a black blank screen, i could show ya... :(

Thanks anyways : ) I'll just dl it when I get home from work.

Laguna said:

I honestly would say that the people working at Id software are probably the closest things to Einsteins in the 21st century.

They're game developers, not physicists. I'm sure Carmack has a 150+ IQ but still comparisons to Einstein are a liiittle over the top :)

Laguna said:

Also... Anybody know if the Doomguy talks in the game? I think that'd be interesting.

We see a lot of cutscenes of what appears to be him arriving at the Mars base, etc. So yeah I guess we will be hearing him at some point, even if it is just a few 'yes', 'no' and 'don't touch me there' replies.

Lord FlatHead said:

ROCK. All you people can stop whining about the Cyberdemon as well - it's appearance in Doom 3 is confirmed in this video.

The "they stole my baby" part... god damn. I need Dolby Surround. Badly.

All in all this new video doesn't reveal too many new things about the game, though all the cutscenes and cool behind-the-scenes stuff is a real treat to watch. Now let's just see the goddamn game on the shelves already.

pics please...can't download the movie at work... >:E

edit: /me reads the rest of this thread...then goes to PlanetDoom...

Lord FlatHead said:

They're game developers, not physicists. I'm sure Carmack has a 150+ IQ but still comparisons to Einstein are a liiittle over the top :)

Just because they have a different profession and didn't work on the Manhattan Project doesn't mean they couldn't be close to that.

BTW, I believe 180 was the bar that Einstein set for the Intelligence Quotient, and that's a pretty gay standard to judge intellectual prowess by.

Also, if John Carmack isn't a physicist, how come he's building God damn space rockets? :/

lol, link isn't working :P
Was it captured from the video or something new ?

edit: has someone an alternate link to the high quality version ? I am not registred at gameshack and I am tired of doing it :P

doesnt anyone else think that the caco looks too small, compared to the original - AND less demonic. but i really had difficulties to really see it properly even on the video, because of the quality.

niguel said:

doesnt anyone else think that the caco looks too small, compared to the original - AND less demonic. but i really had difficulties to really see it properly even on the video, because of the quality.

I actually agree it looks kinda small. But it looks quite demonic to me.

And I did see the eye, it was cool.

That Cherub scene was one of the only things that have scared me in all of the doom3 trailers and screenies.

Same here.

For a brief moment while watching that vid, i thought someone had taken the one eyed guy from Monsters Inc. and dipped him in shit.

The cacodemon looks alright i guess. I was just expecting something bigger and... i dunno, more evil?

That was a kickass movie..... in the 70meg version right around 10 mins into it theres the opening to a song that starts playing and I'v heard it before but I dont know who its by does anyone know?

Can somebody help me! I've downloaded the g4_icons_doom3-hi movie from fileplanet.com, and I've got 3 .avi files that won't work in either windows media player or creative media source player, I only get sound and no screen. Please help!

Spike said:

For a brief moment while watching that vid, i thought someone had taken the one eyed guy from Monsters Inc. and dipped him in shit.

The cacodemon looks alright i guess. I was just expecting something bigger and... i dunno, more evil?

Yeah, it doesn't look that evil to me either. But maybe it's the quality of the movie. It's hard to see what it really looks like.