Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathbringer

Infinte horizon trick

I'm wondering how this trick is done, but i am looking for how it is done in Vanilla/Boom (not the zdoom way), ive seen it done in PS Final doom (havent played the PC one) so i assume it is possible

deathbringer said:

but i am looking for how it is done in Vanilla/Boom (not the zdoom way)

I'm sure PS Final Doom used an updated engine. Your best bet is ZDoom.

I've seen it done once, but it was in an example wad which was showcasing a bug in BSP.

exl said:

I'm sure PS Final Doom used an updated engine. Your best bet is ZDoom.

I think playstation had a moving sky in one of the final doom levels.

Yes and it had coloured lighting and a 'burning sky' in the end of doom and most of doom 2, ah well, i'll have to just make a gigantic area...

I think you do it by making a sector with f_sky as the floor and the ceiling and lower the ceiling to the floor.

Someoen explained it to me once, and I think thats how it works.

Danarchy said:

I think you do it by making a sector with f_sky as the floor and the ceiling and lower the ceiling to the floor.

Someoen explained it to me once, and I think thats how it works.

This is how you would make a sky that surrounds you, but for infinite horizon, you'd have to play around with missing lower/upper textures and whatnot. As Ichor said it's about using exploits of bsp.

Not sure, but maybe you could:

Make a large sector with FWATER and the sky.
Make another sector around that and lower the ceiling to the floor but keep the floor as FWATER. Make sure there is no above or below textures or anything.

Nah that just 'erases' the floor and makes the sky surround you. I'll try dans method out anyway. I'm really looking to make this work in EDGE GL, and GL ports dont tend to like some effects with missing textures anyway, i know that 'crystal sectors' make HOMs in GL ports for one...or maybe i didnt do them right...

deathbringer said:

Nah that just 'erases' the floor and makes the sky surround you. I'll try dans method out anyway. I'm really looking to make this work in EDGE GL, and GL ports dont tend to like some effects with missing textures anyway, i know that 'crystal sectors' make HOMs in GL ports for one...or maybe i didnt do them right...

In GL you won't be able to create an infinite horizon with cheap hacks at all. The kind of projection this requires cannot be simply faked. Even ZDoomGL doesn't yet handle ZDoom's infinite horizon special.

Can anyone tell me how they did it in the serious sam tech demo? Was it just a ludicrously huge stretch of land?

I played Serious Sam and mapped for it. It's just a really HUGE terrain, the horizone is finit. Sorry to spoil, but You asked for it.

Do you mean the horizon trick like in zdctfmp2.wad map14 where it looks like the ocean is going forever?

Probably, but mainly for ddmpack.wad (or something like that, its recent anyway) for skulltag where it looks like the ocan of lava goes on forever

tnt3.wad (ZDoom) uses that trick extensively in the second map.

Nmn said:

I played Serious Sam and mapped for it. It's just a really HUGE terrain, the horizone is finit. Sorry to spoil, but You asked for it.

I had to find out someway :( Although it was a good fake, what if you did something like that and rendered it through a portal - surely that would be a close enough hack?

yeah, that's one of the reasons I want to move to a portal engine for the new ZDoomGL engine.

Just make a huge surrounding sector that's about 8192x8192 (depending on the size of your level) and do what Dan said.

Ah i could try that, or use a skybox when EDGE supports them, though apparently 1.29 is gonna be moving to some 'new wad format', that i'm not sure i'm happy about, i'll keep making them the old way until they stop supporting it (as i'm sure they will), then i'll have to start including 1.28a zipped in with my wads...

deathbringer said:

apparently 1.29 is gonna be moving to some 'new wad format'

The possible new wad format is currently in discussion and certainly will not be in 1.29. We do not plan to drop support for the existing WAD format even if a new format is implemented.

timmie said:

yeah, that's one of the reasons I want to move to a portal engine for the new ZDoomGL engine.

Thats actually really intruiging. Will this be something like Ken's polymost renderer, in that you could possibly make moving sectors and stuff?

basically the renderer would behave like Prey's renderer, but it would just extrapolate the portals from the bsp rather than being placed manually. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have moving sectors with it.

2 sided segs are essentially portals, along with skyboxes and the Line_Horizon trick. I'm hoping that going with a full portal engine will make it easier support the software engine hacks as well.