Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

No BFG/Soulcube in Multiplayer

In the latest IGN Interview, T. Willits and T. Hollenshead confirmed that the two power-weapons will not be implemented in Doom3 multiplayer. I find this a pitty to some degree. True, the BFG ruins some maps but it should be optional and not completely forbidden. There could be a server option "disable BFG", don´t you think?

Yes that's good. A soulcube can be used to instantly kill someone and that would not be fair.

Cool, they have finally learned (from the faults they have made with including the BFG in Q3A). Superweapons don´t belong into the MP arsenal.

BFG in Q3A wasn't really a BFG. It was a souped up plasma rifle.

But IMO it's good there's no BFG in multiplayer.

AirRaid said:

BFG in Q3A wasn't really a BFG. It was a souped up plasma rifle.

Actually I'd sooner say souped up rocket launcher... since the actual explosions did the EXACT same thing knockback/damagewise as rockets... yay for originality.

I can see that for the soul cube might not be included (as an option that is, I'm sure with that quote they mean "neither will be in either of the in-box maps") what with it's on-screen icon and how it processes souls, etc.

As for the BFG, didn't we see it in action in MP in the first G4 movie? Probably just a demo map or something of course, but that still means it'd be easy to throw in a map made for TDM or something.

TwiNCannoN said:

Actually I'd sooner say souped up rocket launcher... since the actual explosions did the EXACT same thing knockback/damagewise as rockets... yay for originality.

Wrong. They provide a significantly stronger kick back than the rockets do. For a good example of this, get a quad damage, aim straight down, and shoot. Try the same with a quad rocket. BFG sends you much further into the air. If you were to do an actual rocket jump with a quad rocket, if I recall correctly, the BFG still outdoes it.

Not to mention that the BFG is only found in (iirc) two maps in Quake III, neither of which are ever played at the pro level. It is as if the weapon never existed, so it has no real detrimental effect on modern gameplay.

EDIT -- Useless warrior, where did you hear that there were only five mp maps?

The five multiplayer map thing has been stated in a few recent ID interviews I'd read. One of the maps is a remake of q2dm1 "The Edge". If I find a url I'll post it.

I can't remember where the quote with the 5 maps including q2dm1 remake is (just looked around for a while and gave up heh), but I know it was said. Fairly old quote... damn damn damn. Now I'm gonna be pestered all night :p

btw, being as we're won the subject of powerups in multiplayer, has anyone seen any new info on the berserk?

It's been like, forgotten...

TwiNCannoN said:

I can't remember where the quote with the 5 maps including q2dm1 remake is (just looked around for a while and gave up heh), but I know it was said. Fairly old quote... damn damn damn. Now I'm gonna be pestered all night :p

The quote was from the PC Gamer interview.

What the fuck? What's wrong with you people saying the BFG isn't fair? If you don't think the BFG is fair, you should learn how the BFG works and in turn learn how to fight against the BFG. But with that out of my system, I think this is a bad thing; it should be optional... Not entirely forbidden.

It still depends on how the BFG compares to previous ones.
The Q3 BFG plain sucked cause it ruined the awesome balance of the other weapons. The Doom BFG is pretty fair, because it has a long "warmup time" and with a little skill and the fast player movement its possible to hide in most situations.
The Q2 BFG was a little bit more annoying but still pretty descent.

And yes, they should have made it an option instead of forbidding it in multiplayer (it seems thats the case).

I wouldn't say it really messed up Quake III's weapon balance. I mean, seriously -- it's only in two or three maps. And (I say with no exaggeration) none of those maps are ever played in tournament 1v1s or TDMs.

Not to take up for it too much.

I don't care - as long as the other weapons (minus the soul cube) are in.

mje said:

I wouldn't say it really messed up Quake III's weapon balance. I mean, seriously -- it's only in two or three maps.

It´s only in a few maps (and in no serious custom map anyways) BECAUSE it messed up Q3´s otherwise excellent weapon balance. But the maps where it is included are completely spoiled by it (q3dm12 for example would be a great map without this weapon).

Deathmatcher said:

In the latest IGN Interview, T. Willits and T. Hollenshead confirmed that the two power-weapons will not be implemented in Doom3 multiplayer. I find this a pitty to some degree. True, the BFG ruins some maps but it should be optional and not completely forbidden. There could be a server option "disable BFG", don´t you think?

Everybody is getting their knickers in a twist.

If the reference for the item is included in the header development file for the editor (for example, items.h or items.c), then there's no reason that it can't be PUT into DM maps, I think they're simply saying they aren't including it in THEIR STOCK maps.

That is, unless the multiplayer part is its own executable a la RtCW.

If it's in the objects part for the header file for Radiant, it WILL be available to mappers. If it does use a different executable, then you'll have to wait until the SDK comes out.

At any rate, I would think they know what they're doing concerning what is best for multiplayer. If they remove BFG, it is almost certainly for the best.

I liked the idea of bfg and soul cube in multi. Killing 5 players in order to instantly kill one player is a pretty steep price providing you are good enough to not get fragged before you soup up 5 souls. So I think Soul Cube should be allowed along with a option to disable both it and BFG.

That's my say, not like it is important. :P