Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sharessa

ZDoom-Heretic Config

Does anyone know where I could find a config file for Doom Builder that lets me edit Heretic in Zdoom mode?

I've been experimenting with a Heretic DoomBuilder config that works with Boom-compatible ports... Is that what you're talking about?

No. He meant a Heretic config for ZDoom with Hexen's map format (to use all the cool features of ZDoom in Heretic.)

It shouldn't be too hard. Take the Things part from the Heretic config and put that into the Doom-in-Hexen config. The rest should be the same. All linedef and sector types are identical.

That would be great, but I have absolutely no idea what would need to be moved or where I would find it.

You don't need one. Just use ZDoom in Hexen format with the Heretic iWAD. Also, you still need to use the thing ID numbers from Heretic too. Write them down somewhere if you need to.

MasterOFDeath said:

Or you could just use DeePsea, it has a Heretic in Zdoom format config. :P

Really? Well, one more reason that Doom Builder and DeepSEA own the rest of the editors out there... Heh.

I tried to create one myself but DoomBuilder only gives me a not very helpful error message that there are errors but doesn't tell me what's wrong.

Not to programmer: If an error occurs you say what is wrong. How else should I find what's wrong??? :-(

You fail it. Dont make mistakes. You are supposed to be perfect!
Seriously though, you are probably missing a closing " or ; somewhere. Maybe a { where you need a } or something. Spaces in key names are not allowed either. There is no proper error checking for this, simple because I never bothered to write one, heh. But its not like everyone who uses Doom Builder makes his own config file anyway.

Since it's needed anyway why don't you create one yourself? There seems to be some demand for it. ;-)

While doing it I found some missing sector types in the DoomHexen config - some of the types originating from Heretic were missing:

79 = "Low Friction";
82 = "Damage -2 or -5% health (no protection)";
83 = "Damage -4 or -8% health (no protection)";
84 = "Scroll east + -2 or -5% health (no protection)";

Yes, the radiation suit does not protect from damage inflicted by these sectors, and they all work in Doom!

I have added these sector effects in 1.63 DoomHexen configurations for Skull Tag and ZDoom. Also error information will now be displayed when a configuration is rejected by Doom Builder. It will show you the line number on which it encountered the error and a description why it doesnt work.

Yes, now it was a matter of minutes to fix the config. Check your email so it can be included in the next release! ;)

Ah, thank ye muchly Graf Zahl. Now I can finaly get started on my Heretic wad which will probably never be finished.

Well, looks like my constant whining finaly got somethign productive done, and not just for my benefit. :)

Darkhaven said:

Really? Well, one more reason that Doom Builder and DeepSEA own the rest of the editors out there... Heh.

Actually, it's not too hard to make one for WadAuthor, either. Hell, I made a .wcf for a completely new IWAD (Actually a PWAD for something that uses no original Doom resources whatsoever, but I regard it as essentially an IWAD anyway, for what it's worth) for my Exhumed TC. It's just a case of knowing what you're doing (Never hard with examples to learn from).