Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daicha

Something I've always wondered.

In the last level of Doom 2 when the cubes are flying at you, the sound effect of the cubes: I've heard this same goddamn sound effect in hundreds of games,tvshows, cartoons, commercials and movies ever since! Movies from low budget, to 100 million dollar spectaculars. It's pure cheese, but it rocked in Doom 2. I was just watching Underworld again and that sound was in it. I've realized 5 years ago (when it had only been used 200 times) that I don't recall ever hearing this effect prior to Doom 2. Is id responsible for creating this sound effect? Do these hundreds of things owe props to id software? The bastards.

I'm not sure who would know positively. It is likely that it was taken from a common library of sounds that can be used by anyone.

I know there's a pretty strong possibility of it being a generic sound archive sound, but as I've absolutely, positively never heard it prior to Doom 2 (which was ages ago), and then hearing it a million times, since right AFTER it's release makes me think they created it. Wonder if I can email the sound guy...

You are most welcome. I look forward to hearing what THE man says about this, as I've been wondering myself.

Here's a quote from that thread:

this my friends, is called royalty free media. im sure movies even before doom used "doom" sounds, that seeewooompisshhhh sound ive heard in alot of explosions. its just like stock footage.

I dare anyone to show me an example of the "Spawn cube" sound usage BEFORE Doom 2's release. I doubt anyone can. Other Doom sounds, I grant you, ARE probably stock sounds. But not this one. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know.

I'm sure nobody rediscovered any sound at all when they played DOOM. But they probably were all available before DOOM, including that sound... err maybe.

I should think some of the doom sounds where made by ID, like the distinctive doom shotgun, but others where just ones from that library

If i remembr correctly, someone said they heard one of the imp sounds in "Lawrence of arabia", i think thats suitably before doom..it was made in the 60's wasnt it?

Hmm, interesting topic. I definately noticed more then one DooM sound in movies or normal TV.
I guess the door opening sound is the most common as far as I can remember.

deathbringer said:

I

If i remembr correctly, someone said they heard one of the imp sounds in "Lawrence of arabia", i think thats suitably before doom..it was made in the 60's wasnt it?

Thats no surprise, because the imp is camel.

Revenant! said:

Hmm, interesting topic. I definately noticed more then one DooM sound in movies or normal TV.
I guess the door opening sound is the most common as far as I can remember.

I've even heard that sound on Rugrats. :)

The imp's death sounds are used for many camel or reindeer sounds.

One of the imp's sit sounds are used in many growl sounds. One of the zombie's sit sounds are used in the same way, sometime played in sequence along with the imp's.

The cube spawn sound is used in just about any sci-fi movie or commercial/advertisement you can think of. Whether it be the beginnings of an explosion, a sudden rush of light, a piece of debris, usually a piece of stone or a rock, rushing by the camera... I could go on.

Many of the door sounds, both PC and the PSX/N64 versions of it, are used for many hydraulic and/or electric powered devices.

The door opening and closing sounds are on the History Channel. Watch Modern Marvels, and in the intro thing they show when the show starts and when the commercials end, both play one after the other. I have heard tons of doom sounds myself, but one I haven't heard that I'm wondering if its anywhere is the turbo door sounds from the PC versions of doom...

MasterOFDeath said:

The door opening and closing sounds are on the History Channel. Watch Modern Marvels, and in the intro thing they show when the show starts and when the commercials end, both play one after the other. I have heard tons of doom sounds myself, but one I haven't heard that I'm wondering if its anywhere is the turbo door sounds from the PC versions of doom...

Yep, I've heard them there. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in the other thread, even.

Hey Daicha, what's the word from Mr. Robert C. Prince?

i have heard many of those sound effect prior to doom and doom2. fact is these libraries where not commonly avalible until about 1994-95-96 with the interent. before you had to find them in a real library of sorts, off tape or maybe CD.

so with the interent came the ability to share stuff like this. thus those sounds were used more

Yeah I notice DooM sounds all over the place too. The reindeer (and offscreen polar bear) in The Santa Clause (the Tim Allen one) use tons of imp and zombie sounds. I also first head the doom 2 cube sound as Saberwulf's bat's in Killer Instinct. But yeah, it's used in a lot of other places too.

Mogul said:

Hey Daicha, what's the word from Mr. Robert C. Prince?

No reply yet. I'll let you know. The whole thing was one big whisky&coke fueled quest for useless knowledge:) You know the type. Anyway, I still am interested in the answer. I still would like irrefutable proof of the spawncube sound's usage pre Doom2 from any of those who have claimed to heard it. And obviously a definitive answer for Mr. Prince, if possible. I'll let you guys know if and when he responds.

this sound was used in noise unit's "drill" album... or some front line assembly album.. I forget.

What word did Revenant! say that is censored?

In one episode of Jonny Quest (the new one) I've heard Doom sound effects twice in a row. They threw these three device thingies into the water and it made the Doom door opening noise and then they threw in some more and it made the Doom 64 door opening noise. Two door opening noises in a row!

I've heard Doom sound effects everywhere. A...lot...

Daicha said:

In the last level of Doom 2 when the cubes are flying at you, the sound effect of the cubes: I've heard this same goddamn sound effect in hundreds of games,tvshows, cartoons, commercials and movies ever since! Movies from low budget, to 100 million dollar spectaculars.

I dunno where you live, but German TV shows are also using this exact sound on a daily basis!

Bashe: That would be "de fi ni te ly" (spaced out to make sure it's not censored). I guess it's something done in a Something Awful-like twist, to make sure people spell it right...

deathbringer said:

I should think some of the doom sounds where made by ID, like the distinctive doom shotgun, but others where just ones from that library

Yep it's the sfx for a camel howling.

You know, I think I've heard the shotgun sound somewhere else but it was after Doom so maybe they took it...

POTGIESSER said:

Yep it's the sfx for a camel howling.

this sound is also in age of empires rise of rome when you kill one of the camel rider guys.

Demon Hunter said:

this sound is also in age of empires rise of rome when you kill one of the camel rider guys.

Ever thought it's because it's a sfx of a camel?