Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
insertwackynamehere

Techno Rock

Does anyone know any good FREE techno rock on the net? http://www.futurecrew.com/skaven/ has some good stuff (esp. Revenge Of The Cats and Corrupter), along with d_in_cit of Icarus, and some of the original Doom levels as well. I also like things like DoomII's d_runnin and d_runni2, and Doom d_e1m1, d_e2m2, d_e2m9, d_victor, DoomII d_dead, d_runnin and other stuff.

Any suggestions on free techno rock music I might like? Thanks!

On id's ftp (and probably somewhere else on the internet) you can download all of Quake III's music. Some of it is OK.

Quake 3's music was made by Frontline Assembly. I don't think you can download their stuff for free but some CD stores sell them. Their old stuff I think is their best. Ofcourse this doesn't help you if your planning on adding new music to a map or something but its still interesting just to listen to.

At ftp.idsoftware.com, I'm pretty sure you can find most, if not all, of Quake III's music. Seriously. :)

Shtbag667 said:

Quake 3's music was made by Frontline Assembly.

no, sonic mayhem

Quast said:

no, sonic mayhem

Wrong, it's Front Line Assembly. And FLA isn't...Techno Rock, whatever that is.

NO

Industrial has nothign to do with rock.

Also, Sonic Mayhem sounds like God Lives Underwater without the depressing lyrics.

Dan's in denial because he's into that tedious Throbbing Gristle and some of the less interesting Skinny Puppy crap. :-P

No, Sonic Mayhem did do the music for Quake 3. They even released a CD that you could buy for a limited time that had all the Q3A music on it.

Mogul said:

Bill Leeb and Sonic Mayhem wrote the Quake III music. Period.

Almost correct. Leeb worked with Chris Peterson (FLA sidekick at the time). AFAIK, Bill can't program a synth, he's more of a writer/producer.

Danarchy said:

Industrial has nothign to do with rock.

it doesn't? there's an entire subgenre that disagrees with you.

To be more specific on the Modarchive link, go to Artists Listing and look up Purple Motion and XTD. They are both good artists that fit the "technorock" category.

Liam said:

it doesn't? there's an entire subgenre that disagrees with you.

You mean industrial rock? Thats the one exception, and it's the vast minority.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

To be more specific on the Modarchive link, go to Artists Listing and look up Purple Motion and XTD. They are both good artists that fit the "technorock" category.

Thanks! Skaven (on the site I linked to) mentions Purple Motion also, so I'll check them out. Props to being the 4th ontopic post :P

Danarchy said:

You mean industrial rock? Thats the one exception, and it's the vast minority.

it's the most popular style of industrial music ever, in fact the only one to enjoy major mainstream success. just sayin.

Liam said:

it's the most popular style of industrial music ever, in fact the only one to enjoy major mainstream success. just sayin.

No, I would say EBM (Electronic Body Music) or *shudder* Future Pop would be the most successful quasi-industrial-related genres. The vast majority of bands signed on to Metropolis seem to bill themselves as one or the other. They're far more popular in Europe than the US, however.

There's not a damn thing wrong with futurepop.

Also, I'm not seeing the connection here between nu-metal and industrial rock. Wouldn't they call it nu-industrial-rock? UR TEH DUMBZ.

david_a said:

No, I would say EBM (Electronic Body Music) or *shudder* Future Pop would be the most successful quasi-industrial-related genres. The vast majority of bands signed on to Metropolis seem to bill themselves as one or the other. They're far more popular in Europe than the US, however.

the metro records styles of futurepop and nu-ebm/elektro-lite/whatever the fuck you call it when oldschool ebm or electro-industrial artists lose their flare, still appeal mostly to a niche group of people. not that i'm equating popularity with talent, mind you. but the fact still remains that, at least here in the states, there are 10 people who would lick trent reznor's asshole clean for every 1 person who owns and enjoys a vnv nation record.

Numbermind said
Well, considering nu-metal was born out of industrial rock's ass...

no?

edit: this is a hell of a derail but i really have no idea what the hell 'techno rock' is. i've never heard that term used to refer to any established artist ever. skaven and the doom midi name-dropping aren't making it any clearer.

Liam said:

the metro records styles of futurepop and nu-ebm/elektro-lite/whatever the fuck you call it when oldschool ebm or electro-industrial artists lose their flare, still appeal mostly to a niche group of people. not that i'm equating popularity with talent, mind you. but the fact still remains that, at least here in the states, there are 10 people who would lick trent reznor's asshole clean for every 1 person who owns and enjoys a vnv nation record.

Well, I couldn't find any sales figures, so it's kind of hard to tell conclusively. I get the feeling that bands like Apoptygma Berzerk and VNV Nation sell a hell of lot more than FLA, KMFDM, etc, though... However, I would agree that "industrial rock" is far more popular in the states.

Numbermind said:

Well, considering nu-metal was born out of industrial rock's ass...

Uh, no. Numetal = metal - talent + hip hop sometimes.

Laim said:

edit: this is a hell of a derail but i really have no idea what the hell 'techno rock' is. i've never heard that term used to refer to any established artist ever. skaven and the doom midi name-dropping aren't making it any clearer.

Yeah, never heard of that either. I have no clue what insertwackymusicnoobhere is talking about. I always thought techno was Kraftwerk and rock was The Beatles, and I have no idea what a combination of the two would sound like.

And as long as me, Faint and Liam are posting here, pretty much every music thread will be derailed into something industrialish. :P

kraftwerk is not techno and my name is not laim

Liam said:

kraftwerk is not techno

Hrm...then what is techno? And what is Kraftwerk then?

and my name is not laim

ops! lololololol