Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #191

Job wrote a nice intro, but it's 4am and I'm sitting here formatting t/nc because Job sent it to me in an .rtf file with no /idgames links, html formatting or any information about the levels at all. I'm not bitter, though. Nope. I'm a bigger person that that... Okay, no I'm not. You'd better sleep with one eye open, Job! ONE EYE OPEN!!

This week's /newstuff Chronicles is a bit sparse, but not without a few files to catch your attention. We've got a little gem from Ling and a couple diamonds in the rough as well as some mods worth taking a look at, with one truly ambitious map will make it all worth while though, so read on.

Here's a little tidbit of info from Shav you all may find interesting:
<shaviro> well. We will give you something good next week
<Job> (heh, is that a hint about RTC?)
<shaviro> yes. You may quote me on that! :P

There you go. You heard it here first.

• A Warm Place - Richo Rosai
    ZDoom - SP - 8086K - (img)(img)
    The title of this map assures the player of a chance to visit the depths of hell, which is one of the few things it does indeed deliver. Replete with introductory backstory and a panning camera to set a cinematic mood, this wad has a polished style in terms of fairly extensive scripting. Those who are short of patience, be warned: if you die early on, before an auto-save, you'll find yourself grinding your teeth as the introduction plays again. More often than not, this is a result of a slight puzzle earlier on that will probably force you to reload several times. Other ZDoom effects are present, such as slopes and colored lighting as well as ambient sounds. Unfortunately, plain architecture and lackluster fights keep this map from being much more than it could have been. These bland fights, coupled with a fairly plentiful supply of ammo, makes this a wonderul wad for less experienced Doomers. HOMs also periodically appear in the level, breaking up it's atmosphere and flow. Another con is the massive music wad accompanying this file, which weighs in at a whopping seven megs is bound to turn a way some 56k users (which is rather unfortunate because the music, which includes a great e1m8 remix, is really quite good and helps set the mood).. For all the nostalgia hunters out there, you'll notice a particular area very reminiscent of the Quake 2 prisons. The author shows a great deal of talent in scripting and could deliver some very well-polished maps in the future if he chooses to polish some of his basic mapping techniques. All things considered, however, this is a mediocre map which is certainly worth some consideration given the relative scarcity of playable wads in this week's /newstuff chronicles.

• Do It - Andrew "Linguica" Stine
    ZDoom - SP - 42K - (img)(img)
    Here's a rare treat from everyone's favorite Forum Sausage. Featuring his famous "suicide gun" (something most bloggers here should recall), here's your chance to see what it's like to be a real emo without having to humiliate yourself in public. Definitely worth a quick download for a laugh. So, uh...just do it.

• DTCA - Map 02 - UAC Mining Inc. - Cyber-Menace
    ZDoom - SP - 264K - (img)(img)
    Here's the latest installment in the Cyberdemon Army series, brought to us by Cyber-Menace. A lot of work was put into this map, and it shows. The custom music (vaguely similar to DBZ tunes, heh) is very energetic and puts you in the mood for the action that's always just around the corner. The gameplay is frantic but well-balanced, with a bullet or shell for every demon in the map, this is definitely reminiscent of what made Doom so famous so long ago. Even better, the map flows well and your objectives are always updated, eliminating any confusion as to what you have to do next. The puzzles are not difficult and fit perfectly into the map's themes. Scripted music and fights only add to the gameplay and the quality of the latter is matched by architecture and environments that are pleasing to the eye, sporting tasteful sloping, fog and near-perfect alignment. The only drawback present in this map is it's brevity - you'll find this to be a fun little level, leaving you wanting more. Highly recommended: wad of the week.

• Xaser's Lasers - Xaser
    ZDoom - n/a - 334K - (img)(img)(img)
    Here are the weapon replacements included in the mod, as described by Xaser himself:

1-Laser Pistol- Wimpy as hell. Don't use this unless you have to.Thanks to Daniel for Graphics and sound.

1-Neutron Blaster- Shoots out bursts of energy kind of slowly, but it takesno ammo. Cool, eh?Thanks to Scuba Steve for Graphics and Sound.

2-Plasma Pistol- Shoots out small plasma blast tings that do quite a bit ofdamage. It's slow, though.Thanks to Scuba Steve for Graphics and Sound.

3-Laser Rifle- It's like the shotgun, only 10x faster. Kick ass!Thanks to Daniel for Graphics and sound.

3-Double Laser Cannon Thingy- Very cool. Double barrelled, and coool!Thanks to that Wolfendoom Guy (Las Rojas, I think) for graphics, modifiedby me. Sound from xtrawpns.wad by Daniel.

4-Fusion Drill Cannon- This is probably the fastest gun in any game anywhere.Thanks to Valve for Graphics (Ripped from Half-Life). Sound ripped from Strife.

5-Ripper Cannon- Shoots lasers that tear through baddies and stuff. Very useful.Graphics from Strife. Sound from xtrawpns.wad by Daniel.

6-Plasma Cannon- Shoots out small, fast plasma that does quite a bit ofdamage. It's speed also makes it the most useful weapon at long range.Graphics from Dark Forces (I think). Sound from xtrawpns.wad by Daniel

7-MegaCannon- It's like a rapid-fire auto supershotgun on steroids, but ituses up ammo like HELL. DO NOT USE if you are an ammo-saving freak. :P

My conclusion: It looks like a lot of work went into this, so I really want to avoid saying that the novelty wears off quickly when using this mod. However, you may feel like you're cheating (and for those who really do want to cheat, IDDQD won't save you), which appeals to some players more than others. Either way, give it a try, you may find the possibility of being killed by a trooper in several shots to be a new, fun experience.

• Xaser Skin - Xaser
    ZDoom/Legacy - n/a - 293k
    Here's a new skin for the Doom marine. This one's for you if you always wanted to wear black and red flaming cowboy boots while sporting your favorite pair of Ray Bans™.

• Body Fade - Vilian
    Legacy - n/a - 9K
    This little mod might prove to be useful for anyone with a slower computer or simply wishes for an extra 10 fps when playing Nuts or Deus Vult. Simply put, this mod causes the bodies of enemies to fade shortly after their death. No special effects, no eye candy, just sheer utilitarian joy for those who haven't upgraded their rig since 1997.

If anyone thinks A Warm Place looks familiar, but isn't sure why, it's because it is from 2001/2002, and was (IIRC) a doomcenter feature.

I don't remember any HOMs when I played it back then, and found it quite exciting towards the end, barely making it out alive.

5p

heh. do it is funny.

even funnier is one of the comments on the /idgames page. "I'd never keep something like this. As fast as I downloaded it, I deleted it."

just you watch- you're gonna have a lot of wusses who whine about the linkin park/tool refs, or about the suicide thing.

No review of b-onahd? Heresy!

As a matter of fact, I'll cover it (but I have no screenies) since I'm a nice person and all, I'm somewhat rusty though:

BETA: One Nerd And His Doom by Hyena
10mb/ZDoom/SP - NO SCREENSHOTS BECAUSE I SUCK

The third in the One Nerd and His Doom series, BETA follows the storyline (somehow) of the somewhat twisted world of Hyena's love for Commodore 64 games and raining men. Unlike the other ONAHD wads, this one actually features a score system and one hell of an interesting storyline. I'd rather not spoil it and mention what it's about, but one thing is for sure, you'll definitely get a nice kick out of this. The dehacked and decorate work are fantastic (for a joke wad), as they include rather interesting modifications to the usual foes and weapons.

If there's one bad thing about this, the map is somewhat linear, as you don't need to revert back to areas you've already conquered for locked doors. However, the item bonus system (which involves various pickups) really catched my eye, as it's something that I've never really experienced in Doom, excluding the press release beta. The final area of this map is a really hard challenge, not to mention somewhat frustrating. Fortunately Hyena did add auto-save points, so you won't be going insane having to go through the entire level over and over again. I've only finished this wad once, but my score was 81804. Not bad for someone who sucks at SP.

Grazza said:

If anyone thinks A Warm Place looks familiar, but isn't sure why, it's because it is from 2001/2002, and was (IIRC) a doomcenter feature.

I don't remember any HOMs when I played it back then, and found it quite exciting towards the end, barely making it out alive.

Yeah, I was actually going to ask what it was doing here. I just played that maybe two weeks ago, actually.

Yeah, Wad of the Week, but considering it isn't all that big of a week, I can't quite brag too much...

So, Linquica actually put his Suicide Gun into action? That's quite amusing, and the biggest thing I noted about this week is... THERE ARE NO MORE DANIEL WADS!

EDIT: Can't wait for RTC Hub 1 next week.

My map wasn't reviewed either. Hordes of Chaos, a 5 map zDoom Heretic map. Bleh! Well, if anyone wants to try it out, it's right here : http://rydia.net/udder/prog/zdoom/hoc.zip

So it looks like it'll be reviewed next week, along with all the other maps missed this week, all the new maps for that week, and RTC-3057. Totally buried .. oh well, nobody plays Heretic anyway :P

Job finished up on Friday I believe, so if you uploaded anything around then, he probably didn't get to it

udderdude said:

oh well, nobody plays Heretic anyway :P

Not true. I do but so far I did only a quick check of your maps.

I had one minor issue with the text file. You should specify the version of ZDoom that is required to play this. Not everybody uses the latest one.
This WAD requires 2.0.61 to run properly because it is the first version that separates the sound of Heretic's imp from Doom's. Interesting that the first map(s) that put both in the same map is not for Doom but for Heretic... ;)

Cyb said:

Job finished up on Friday I believe, so if you uploaded anything around then, he probably didn't get to it

Heh, actually, I finished the actual reviews about 4am on Saturday. I periodically checked the ftp until I submitted the zip to Cyb. No dice, though. Never saw anything more even then. Heh, just noticed. The ultimate map07 review isn't there. I guess there's even standards for joke wads.

Yes, well, I uploaded B-onahd on wednesday and it wasn't added to the arhcives until Saturday morning. There's at least 10 other wads that were sent through at the same time, so next week's reviewer has their work cut out for them.

Thanks for the unofficial review, Deathz0r. It was flattering.

If deathz0r get's to review next week I'd say make small and short maps, alot of them just to see how many it takes to piss him off :P

Bloodskull/Shadowrunner: That is surely one of the least intelligent posts you have ever made.

I forgot to sign my review of Do it. but if anyone wonders I gave it a 5 and this comment was mine: Apparently I'm listening to Linking Park so I might just do it.

You're all gonna hate me next week, assuming my wad gets in. :P

Anyway, the suicide gun is 1337. :P

Bloodskull said:

If deathz0r get's to review next week I'd say make small and short maps, alot of them just to see how many it takes to piss him off :P

How about you just get banned and make everyone happy.

Bah... Linquica has sucked in all of the attention... my poor map... oh well, much better to have this happen then to have sent it in to t/nc #192 and have RTC pummel it into oblivion.

Do-It.wad kicks my shitty missed mod's ass. Especially because I know emo kids who want to kill themselves. I tell them to DO-IT.... dot wad.

P.S. b-onahd.wad is teh win.