Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

Very Bad Things

WARNING: Political post. Please don't send me to Post Hell!

Ya'll might wanna take a look-see at this. StopPoliceWare.org and the text of the bill. The jist is that the government wants mandatory security software installed on EVERY system built in the future, which will prevent the trafficking and use of "illegal" files and apps. A few salient points:

* This bill is being backed by many big entertainment companies, including Fox and Disney, and a number of music companies. Say so long to your MP3 collection, folx.
* There is worry that this act will persecute users of Linux and UNIX, and other open-source alternative OS's. As the Dilbert comic said, "The Holy Wars have begun."
* The definition of "illegal" material has not been completely defined, and the bill as-is leaves room for an expanded definition in the future. Whaddya think could be considered "illegal"? Freeware apps? Fan art/fiction? Doom .wads?
* Anybody who shares my belief that Microsoft is the great Satan will want to take a look at section 107 of the bill. I mean, think about it: Which company would be the natural choice for developing this standard "police ware," which would go into a "standard" OS? And check out that nice, built-in protection from anti-trust scrutiny. Mr. Gates must be cumming at the thought of it.

Take a look at this shit, folks, and think long and hard: Do I want to give Big Brother this chance?

heh. They can go fuck themselves. I'm staying with Windows 98, not goin' any higher. I'll just buy the new computer, and type in "format c:" and that'll be the end of big brother on MY end.

heh. They can go fuck themselves. I'm staying with Windows 98, not goin' any higher. I'll just buy the new computer, and type in "format c:" and that'll be the end of big brother on MY end.

Meh, oh well. Nice knowin' ya, pilot. See you in five years when you get out of Morningwood. Tell Bubba I said hi.

yea right is all i can say. like they expect me to use that. i build my own systems thank you! and i will use LINUX and win98 next time anyway