Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Doom

Wait...I need a 512 mb ram or higher to have a full Doom 3 expirience? @#$&

Help, I have a Pentium 3 and a 256 megabyte ram! What advice can you give me?

um unless your processor is at least a p4 1.5ghz or its AMD equivalent you wont be able to run d3

Dr.Doom said:

I feel your pain. I just had to plonk down some bucks to get a new PC. Oh well, it could be worse.

Peace,

The Bruce

Yes, if your processor is atleast 1.5 or higher you should be able to make due with some more RAM.

If not you can still upgrade for D3 relatively cheap. Buy yourself a new mainboard with a decent processor and 256 more ram. You should be able to upgrade to a decent system for about $250 or so.

-E

I upgraded last year to a k7 1GHz (uc'd to 950), Geforce2gts 64mb, 512mb PC100 ram, SBlive 5.1, and i'm ready for Doom III.

No really. Think i'd survive on my p2 233? :X

Can't I just buy a new card and crack open my computer cover to install it?

Unfortunately, no. You'll need way more than just memory for Doom III... you might as well get an entirely new computer.

Cracking your case open? Bad idea.

But it shows how to install "expansion cards" by cracking the case open in the instructions, and I'm supposing that a 512 mb ram and Pentium 4 are expansion cards right?

Dr.Doom said:

Can't I just buy a new card and crack open my computer cover to install it?

i wish i could say yes... but its no

you need more than just a memory upgrade...

you need a p4 1.5 mhz minimum (or its amd equivalent) for a processor
you need a new mb one that supports the processor (seeing the highest p3 chips are 1.0ghz it is insufficiant for the game)

and you need completly new memory... as p4 and amd requires DDR memory

Dr.Doom said:

But it shows how to install "expansion cards" by cracking the case open in the instructions, and I'm supposing that a 512 mb ram and Pentium 4 are expansion cards right?

um its not easy as you may think

the mb has to support the cpu
and chances are the mb your using right now doesnt

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
• 384 megabytes of memory.
• Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
• An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

the specs above is what you need at minimum..
if your computer does not have the specs above or better than you need to upgrade

Doesn't a 256 mb ram support my cpu? It an E-machine by the way.

Pentium 3 Emachines eh?

You're still better off getting/building an entirely new computer rather than upgrading, still. It ain't worth upgrading bit by bit.

Dr.Doom said:

Time for an upgrade. :)

Dr.Doom said:

Doesn't a 256 mb ram support my cpu? It an E-machine by the way.

im sure your computer can support more ram....

but the ram is not the only problem you have

you need a complete overhaul on the system...

when i say that you have to upgrade most of the computer...

and the 256 it depends on what type of mem you got...
a p4 or the latest amd chips require you to have DDR memory

you have to remember there were different types of memory that came out...
there was your normal type then came EDO memory now theres DDR and DDR2 memory

and if your memory is not ddr or ddr2 then s of memory is concerned you need to replace the stick you got + add another on to get more performance

gargoylol said:

I upgraded last year to a k7 1GHz (uc'd to 950), Geforce2gts 64mb, 512mb PC100 ram, SBlive 5.1, and i'm ready for Doom III.

No really. Think i'd survive on my p2 233? :X

i hope your joking about those specs....

your processor is also not to the speed it needs...
and the geforce 2 gts rofl....
that isnt even enough for thwe game to even run
at minimum you need a geforce 3 with 128mb ram

memory most lily needs to be changed if its not ddr the only thing your ready for is in the audio department with the sblive card

uhm...Geforce3's never had 128MB of RAM. In Duffy's latest .plan update he says that it will be possible to run on 64MB cards.

Bloodshedder said:

uhm...Geforce3's never had 128MB of RAM. In Duffy's latest .plan update he says that it will be possible to run on 64MB cards.

maybe so but he still wouldnt be able to run it because he said himself its a geforce 2 gts that it has...
and guess what its way below the min requirements

Hell, screw that upgrade shit. Can someone tell me where I can find a quality PC for little money?

Wait about a year. By that time, the computers of today that are capable of running Doom 3 will be dirt cheap.

tkmaster said:

i hope your joking about those specs....

your processor is also not to the speed it needs...
and the geforce 2 gts rofl....
that isnt even enough for thwe game to even run

Nope, I know what i'm shooting for. A GF4MX is pretty much a GF2GTS, so I'll take that into assumption. I know it has no pixel shader so screw normal maps for me. It's still a pretty swank card, even if it doesn't have every damn feature on the planet.

Painkiller runs absolutely fine at max, hi-res; I wouldn't doubt id's optimizations in the renderer.

Don't underestimate the power of old computers!

Dr.Doom said:

Hell, screw that upgrade shit. Can someone tell me where I can find a quality PC for little money?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

Right there on the front page. $700. Not top of the line but it should be a good base to build a decent computer on. All you'd really have to do it upgrade the graphics card and add some more RAM later on but that system is fine as is to play D3 on and at a pretty decent price. It's also very upgradable.

It's not the only one out there mind you, but it's a suggestion.

-E

Bloodshedder said:

Yes they did have 128 mb. The Abit Sularo ti200.

gargoylol said:

Nope, I know what i'm shooting for. A GF4MX is pretty much a GF2GTS, so I'll take that into assumption. I know it has no pixel shader so screw normal maps for me. It's still a pretty swank card, even if it doesn't have every damn feature on the planet.

Painkiller runs absolutely fine at max, hi-res; I wouldn't doubt id's optimizations in the renderer.

Don't underestimate the power of old computers!

excuse me but the geforce 4 mx may not be as good as a geforce 3 in performance but it is still able to do some stuff the geforce 2 cant do.

the geforce 2 is way below the minimum requirements
hence it will **NOT** work

It *WILL* work. I've ran the alpha on my comp and it has a GF2. It wasn't fast, but it worked. And normal maps are not dependant on pixel shaders, all the features available in the alpha worked on my system.