Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
highlander

Doom3 bundled with ATI cards August 3rd

Saw this on another Doom3 site.

The person who took these pictures asked the EB guy what was up and they said they were expecting the cards and Doom3 in their store August 3rd.

http://d3c.ngz-network.de/contentimages/misc/news/atibundle/2.jpg
http://d3c.ngz-network.de/contentimages/misc/news/atibundle/1.jpg

Looks like ATi wants to get in on the action also. Can't blame them. Now just get out some drivers that will give us ATI lubbers some excellent framerates!

Highlander

Heh.

"We're ATI and we are SO GOING TO KICK ASS when it comes to Half-Life 2! Nvidia can have their little Doom 3 because Half-Life is going to ROCK with our cards! So Nyeaaaah!"

"Um, Half Life 2 is delayed again. Sorry. We're dumbasses. We have no clue what we're doing."

"Ummmm.... you mind if we take back what we said about Doom 3? Can we please have a bundle deal with you too? Pretty please? We're really really really sorry about what we said."

Having one manufacturer of video cards specifically design for one game, and another specifically design for another... it must be one of the most ridiculous farces the computer industry has ever seen.

nVidia has been openGL-biased as long as I can remember. Same goes for ATI and direct x.

Not a farce.

Mogul said:

nVidia has been openGL-biased as long as I can remember. Same goes for ATI and direct x.

Not a farce.

Nvidia is not GL biased, they simply have a competent GL driver team.

ATI should have got off Gabe's fat arse and hired a few people who could code about, ummmm, say, 4 fucking years ago, but instead they, well, didn't, and are now sucking it up.

I don't care about nv/ati fanboyism. I run linux, and nvidia's linux drivers are superb. ATI's are crap. Hence, I use nvidia products. If ATI's drivers were on a par with nvidia's, I'd have been running a 9800 for the last year, not a 5900.

I don't care about HL2.

Valve is staffed by ex-M$ folk.

I care about Doom 3.

JC & Co have always supported linux and Mac platforms.

I spend my money accordingly... ;)

How else is ATI going to sell their cards?

Sheesh!!! Don't have a hairball, I'm only kidding.

Indeed,

The Bruce

I think the X800 XT looks better on paper than the 6800 GT and Ultra, but obviously now that we've got the benchmarks the nVidia cards are much better for Doom 3.

Has it always been the same case for the drivers? I mean, has it always been that nVidia cards work better with OpenGL games and visa-versa?

I have the X800 Pro and it's really, really been underwhelming me. I've always been an Nvidia fan, but I figured whichever "next gen" card came out first was the one I'd get as I was expecting to upgrade my GeForce 3 for two games this year: Thief 3 and DooM 3 (HUGE fan of both series).

ATI has been dropping the ball with it's drivers lately. They've botched it for both games I currently like playing (Thief 3 and City of Heroes). There are known issues with both games. Having to wait a full month for a new driver is lame, and then learning your problem still isn't resolved (which ATI specifically states they know about) just frustrates me even more.

Once Geforce 6800s become easier to get I am trading in my X800 for it. Whatever ATI does to remedy the problem will be too little, too late.

It's a fast card, but it certainly has issues. And ATI is not impressing me with the way they are handling it.

-Jomero

DoomUK said:

I think the X800 XT looks better on paper than the 6800 GT and Ultra, but obviously now that we've got the benchmarks the nVidia cards are much better for Doom 3.

Has it always been the same case for the drivers? I mean, has it always been that nVidia cards work better with OpenGL games and visa-versa?

I believe so. I know for a fact that Carmack has always focussed primarily on nVidia as he develops.

You know the 6800's are coming bundled with Doom 3 at EB aswell... the person who took those pics just likes to miss out that thing.

Mogul said:

Not a farce.

exactly

though visualy they are not different, they are different. each is programed different and runs different. now i am not saying one is better than the other.

each card handles them differently. often specs are given in direct3D unless they state they are OpenGL.

thats why it is bad to compar how far cry runs to how doom3 will run. farcry i believe uses direct3D doom3 is openGL. i always knew Nvidia would run Doom3 better.

so if farcry ran like shit on your system, and you had say an Nvidia FX5500. you may find doom3 will totaly kick ass.

Sephiroth said:

if farcry ran like shit on your system, and you had say an Nvidia FX5500. you may find doom3 will totaly kick ass.

Possibly. If it did it would be nice, but I'm still getting my 6800 GT though :)

Jomero said:

Heh.

"We're ATI and we are SO GOING TO KICK ASS when it comes to Half-Life 2! Nvidia can have their little Doom 3 because Half-Life is going to ROCK with our cards! So Nyeaaaah!"

"Um, Half Life 2 is delayed again. Sorry. We're dumbasses. We have no clue what we're doing."

"Ummmm.... you mind if we take back what we said about Doom 3? Can we please have a bundle deal with you too? Pretty please? We're really really really sorry about what we said."

Nice : )