Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terra-jin

Doomworld's history

Doomworld really is a unique community. I've been reading through the depths of posthell, the only place where a newbie like me can find some old threads, and I think it's very good stuff. I hear the veterans of Doomworld speak of all-time favourite threads, so I'd like to learn more about this community and it's history.

Please write down what you think are the most memorable moments of Doomworld, or the best threads ever seen. To me, the Shadowrunner-ordeal comes to mind, or the infamous spammer Unicorn. What are your all-time favourites?

Speaking of flamewars, I remember that big Doom64 TC flamewar and the subsequent NewDoom Exodus about a month later.

Hmmm, I'm wondering... what's with that "I AM A MORON I AM A MORON"-stuff?

EDIT: That Exodus, wasn't that the thread where everyone said they were leaving Doomworld?

Terra-jin said:

timeline

that's the answer

Nope. That's where Phoebus went on another one of his banning frenzies and wiped out what seemed like half of the members. They all ended up over here, and several others followed. He eventually let a lot of them back in, probably because NewDoom was empty.

Man, Woolie's whole SLIGE megawad thing was just great. I don't think i thought so at the time though.

*looks over the thread*

No, i definitly wasn't impressed.

How could you guys have not mentioned Fiffy yet? In the early days he was quite the legend... The whole SA fiasco was just priceless.

gatewatcher said:

timeline

that's the answer

Now it's XD.

the doomserv hacking controversy was the last megahuge flamewar i was personally involved in.. oh wait i guess i was involved in the doom64 thing.

Terra-jin said:

I think that was when people using the "³" instead of "3" when referencing Doom 3.

Well, there's the whole Username saga. Sadly, I could only find the end of it:

http://www.doomworld.com/forums/doom3/messages/11580.shtml
http://www.doomworld.com/forums/doom3/messages/11669.shtml

And here's me being retarded:

http://www.doomworld.com/forums/doom3/messages/11345.shtml
http://www.doomworld.com/forums/doom3/messages/11330.shtml

Man, the old Doom3 forums are great. They were all speculation back then. Fun times.

The old Doom 3 forums are legend. People were a lot funnier back then when stupid n00bs got their asses (and innards) fried and deadnail posted Doom rap song lyrics.

Ichor said:

Nope. That's where Phoebus went on another one of his banning frenzies and wiped out what seemed like half of the members. They all ended up over here, and several others followed. He eventually let a lot of them back in, probably because NewDoom was empty.

Mainly because certain people bitched at him for doing it.

Grimm said:

The same Fiffy who made those horrible levels?

Yes, one and the same, featuring the patented "eXtreme detail" (or whatever he called it).

When DW first got their forums, Fiffy decided to test if the img tag worked. Harmless enough, but what he decided to post was some ultraviolence from Rotten.com or some similar gore site (he had a thing for including images like that with his maps at the time too, as I recall).

Well, he gets promptly banned and decides to go off to the Something Awful forums (which were free at the time) to "rally his troops" against the "evil nazi webmasters" at DW. Most people didn't know wtf he was talking about and could care less, but a ton of DW people started a giant flamewar with him. Fiffy was still living the illusion that he had friends at SA and that Lowtax (for some inexplicable reason) would come to his rescue and attack DW.

Unfortunately for him, it turns out that Lowtax and some other webmaster whose names also starts with L were friends, so his little plan backfired. Hard. Lowtax flamed him to hell and back and probably shattered his epic ego into a million pieces (for a day or two, anyway).

After that I believe he started some more trash with SA and also became an infamous enemy of that site. Of course he has more scandals with the Doom community (I seem to remember a string of emails between him and prower), but I think this stands out as his lasting legacy.

5 Years of Doom
10 Sectors
The age of Boom/Doom Legacy