Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Chasm: The Rift

Has anybody played this game?? I have and I think the game is really atmispheric and
very scary at the same time (especcially the Sarcophagus boss on the first episode..he scared the shit out of me when I first seen him with his rocket launcher and a chainsaw and I remeber that I had to hide from him while he's making those ominious footsteps since you can't kill him with guns)

here's a example for I am talking about

http://www.action-forms.com/games/chasm/

BlackFish said:

Why does the volcano chaingun thing look strikengly familiar to Unreal's shard gun? :P

Lets see...Chasm is a older game am I correct?? (Chasm actually came out before Unreal) It might be possible that the Unreal team stoled that model from Chasm and made it into a shard gun (Unreal is a shitty game anyway that makes Chasm a way better game)

Um...Unreal is 100 times the game chasm is. Chasm has one good thing about it...some of the smoothest model animation i've seen

Chasm was totally awesome! Too bad they never had GL rendering available... does the game work under XP?

I would totally buy that game if I could. I played the demo of that all the time. Great game.

I've got this on CD upstairs. It's not a bad game actually, and the levels mask the engine's shortcomings well.

I wonder that Doom 3 will play like Chasm: The Rift?? Because Chasm's gameplay was pretty slow paced and creepy at the same time (and I noticed that the bosses in the
game are more like puzzels then a regular boss fight..hmmm I wonder that Doom 3 is going to be similar to that??)

and I wonder that anybody here will make a Chasm: The Rift TC for Doom 3??

Then again Chasm: The Rift is truely a underrated classic of all time

it looks like they used the quake engine.
for a minute i thought it was a newer game, i was gonna say "screw buying that!" but it is from 1997.

never heard of it or played it. well if it is a quake engine game chances are, if you are a code monkey, you might be abke to get it to work with more modern quake ports

i have it. i picked it up for 10$ about two years ago. it's pretty interesting.

it's not quake engine or even too close...in fact, I dont think it's true 3d. I know the editor looked like a doom editor and you couldn't do room over rooms

I think it's fine in a league of it's own, I don't see obvious "clone-marks". The locational dismemberment is awesome :D

People bash Chasm as a Quake clone badly all the time :( I really liked the game. Didn't it have Glide support at one point?

And yes, the map's format IS sector/linedef based, though I saw a floor over floor at one point. Hmmmm...

Nightmare Doom said:

I tried to work this game on my XP but it will not work and I wonder how to work it on my XP..any ideas?

This is the same problem I am having...

Heh, the enemy footsoldiers are called Mongs.

Anyway, I havent ever played the game, so I can't really judge it, but isn't the title a little redundant? I mean, it's like calling a game Doom: The Fate, or Quake: the Tremor, or Diablo: the Devil, or Heroes of Might and Magic: the Champions of Power and Presdigitation. Just my zwei Pfennig.

Well whatever, maybe it's to steal peeps looking for the PC fighting game "Rift" when it was out around Chasm's time. Who knows.

They went on later to make Carnivores and now I believe, that Dr. Moreau game with a humanoid goat with a blown-away crotch... can see a pun from that already.

Also, XP sucks for DOS games, don't expect any wonders to work if it can't launch at all. If you really want to play it so bad, go back to any 9x os, or find another, older computer.

I played this a while ago, it was a lot of fun, but I didn't get too far because it ran badly on my hardware.
Before it's time, perhaps?

gargoylol said:

And yes, the map's format IS sector/linedef based, though I saw a floor over floor at one point. Hmmmm...

I think it's even more limited than that. I don't remember seeing a single non-90 degree wall in the game. They used a lot of tricks to mask this... I think the world itself is closer to ROTT than anything (a fixed floor and ceiling height for the entire map), but the engine can create 3D objects which seemlessly act like part of the map (ie, slopes, height variation, a rough cave wall, etc). I think the game came with the editor, so someone who cares can fire that up and check (I don't feel like installing it again).

Hmm, now where have I seen something that looks almost exactly like this weapon before...

Yeah, I played the demo back in early 1997. I later read that the main program sucked because of bad level design but I have to admit that the demo´s graphics where quite impressive, if not to say outstanding. IMO it was the first fps to feature rain, transparent water and very detailed polygonal objects (candels, sheets of paper) and it was released months before HexenII/QuakeII.

Transparent water would be completely invisible - you mean translucent :).

Anyway, it wasn't the first, as translucent water was one of the features of the GL version of Quake 1.

it does have a very quake-ish look to it.

i'll have to check it out some time, i wonder if they have released the source code. hell i wonder if anyone has ever asked

NiGHTMARE said:

Hmm, now where have I seen something that looks almost exactly like this weapon before...

That weapon was the only reason that I got
Chasm: The Rift when I seen a screenshot of that weapon on the game box

The game is very impressive for it's time (not to metion the soundtrack on the CD which is very moody) and it remains underrated till this day.

Danarchy said:

Anyway, I havent ever played the game, so I can't really judge it, but isn't the title a little redundant? I mean, it's like calling a game Doom: The Fate, or Quake: the Tremor, or Diablo: the Devil, or Heroes of Might and Magic: the Champions of Power and Presdigitation. Just my zwei Pfennig.

Actually, the game's storyline revolves around enemies who use time rifts to enter certain stages of human existence. So really the title isn't as redundant as you may think, as Rift refers to Time Rift. And a chasm, well, that's just a cave or something - plus it sounds cool.

I played the demo back in the day, and it´s indeed inspired by Quake (1). I think I read an interview where the developers stated that.
I liked the athmosphere and some monsters where really cool. The level design sucked though, almost completely horizontal mazes.

This game was well-programmed, imo. It could run moderately well on a 486...a lot more than Quake could do. Quite impressive since they looked fairly similar graphics-wise.

Actually Chasm was being developed and then finished before Quake, but they couldn't find a publisher in time or had some troubles with one (I forget) and ended up being released one year after Quake. It's a shame it got so overshadowed, because Chasm had some cool features like being able to shoot off certain limbs to prevent enemies from using that limb to attack you (Shoot off both arms and they'll start kicking you :). There were a few other neat things like a mission briefing before missions with actual voices and (simple) mouth animations and blinking. Definitely a lot more than Quake had, although by techical terms I don't know if the engine was actually any better.

As I look at these screenshots the first thing that comes to mind is not that this looks like Quake... but more that it looks like Unreal. Just the way the pixels stretch on the models and levels... they stretch the same way in unreal to give both a somewhat fuzzy look.

But then again, what would I know.