Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Your current midi synthesizer

What is your current midi synth? If you don't know what it is, go to Control Panel and click on sounds and multimedia and check out the audio tab. It should be on the bottom. For older Windows, in Control Panel look for something with multimedia in it's name and click it. Midi should have it's own tab. Check what it is.

Mine is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. Pretty good.

If any of you have the misfortune that is Crystal FM Synthesis, I'm very sorry about how hideous that sounds and I hope you have better luck in your future.

Also, mention if it sounds good or sounds like crap or anything inbetween or better or worse.

Creative Music Synth (Sound Blaster 16, of course.) But MIDI files are opened by TiMidity, so unless they're on a webpage or something, the synth isn't used.

I don't much like how the synth itself plays music back on Windows, but I wouldn't trade the card on this machine, as long as I can avoid it (DOOM demands it.)

Microsoft GS Wavetable Software Synth. It's an all-purpose electronic cheese dispenser.

By the way, SBLive and its descendants absolutely suck for MIDI. Creative sucks.

It was on some Microsoft thing which would explain why it didnt work well, so I switched it to Roland MPU-401. Don't know much about MIDI, but I hope that's better.

AndrewB said:

By the way, SBLive and its descendants absolutely suck for MIDI. Creative sucks.

I still have a SB128 in my computer mostly for the MIDI

SW Synth on this computer, 5 or so others on the studio computer (multiple midi outs to hardware synths)

AndrewB said:

I DISAGREE.
AWE32 beats the hell out of anything released before 2002, and then has sex with its girlfriend.

Linguica said:

I still have a SB128 in my computer mostly for the MIDI

YES! My Doom box has a SB128, I love it.

AndrewB said:
By the way, SBLive and its descendants absolutely suck for MIDI. [/B]

That's very true, but I have a soundfont loaded on this machine, which has an SBLIVE! and it's not bad really. The soundfont is Silverspring 1.5. If anyone knows of any other free, good soundfonts I'd like to know about them.

AndrewB said:

Microsoft GS Wavetable Software Synth. It's an all-purpose electronic cheese dispenser.

Not true.

I bought a SBLive card last week (no joke) for just 30$ and DOOM Midi's sound MUCH better than they did compared to my integrated Nvidia sound-card.

Well, I'm glad no one has had Crystal FM Synthesis as their synth...

...yet...

ESS Extended FM -- it's somewhere between FM and wavetable in terms of quality. I think it sounds great.

Roland SC-55. It sounds great and is the same Bobby Prince used while composing the Doom/2 music.

AndrewB said:

Fuck ye, I love my SBLive and its 4mb soundfont.

Just cause ye have that huge awesome one erm... you suck.

Since I have a SBLive (ick, I wanna go on that sbawe64 again), I've got SB Live! Midi Synth (shitty) and Creative SW Synth (shittier). My own custom "Demon's Crest - 300k" soundfont is used. (which I made on my p100 w/ Awe64 when my k6 died and I was bored.)

I want my FM back.

Adplug does not suffice for this as it's only a WinAMP plugin.

Any suggestions for that?