Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
purist

.BAK

Bearing in mind I'm not very tech literate could someone advise on what to do in this scenario:

I'm working on a level (using WadEd) and about to make a room into a sector. Carelessly, I don't realise that the editor is indicating that it wants to make the whole level a sector rather than just the room. When I do realise - it's too late. Once I've clicked all lindefs (the impassable lines) have turned into two sided with their textures removed.

Since I'd saved before creating the room I exited without saving thinking I'd rather remake the room than retexture the whole level. I later that day had another go but got a load of run time errors.

Yesterday I thought I'd have a third attempt but when I tried to load the level via WadEd it wasn't there. At first I thought it was strange cos the file was there but then I realised it was a backup (.BAK) file rather than .WAD and WadEd couldn't recognise it. That .WAD file had seemingly disappeared without trace!

Basically, I just want to know how to change a .BAK file to a .WAD file if possible.

Cheers, Chris.

That's easy as hell. Right-click (our slowly double click) on the .BAK file, and rename the extension to .WAD. Bingo. Or if you're a commandliner raised on DOS,

ren BLAH.BAK BLAHH.WAD

And whee.

The extra H is there incase if a BLAH.WAD exists, just to be safe.

Why are you using WadEd anyway? That was the first editor I used and it had more bugs than an old half-eaten donut that's been lying on the sidewalk all week.

Perhaps he's a purist that welcomes the bugs as a challenge to entice his creativity.

I suppose. I use DCK, which is like WadEd, but with far less bugs. The only down side is that I have to be in DOS to use it (a small price to pay though).

Ichor said:

I suppose. I use DCK, which is like WadEd, but with far less bugs. The only down side is that I have to be in DOS to use it (a small price to pay though).

Dck is a great editor, but as you say you need to be in dos for use it. :/

Still it was the first editor I used, to put about 20 caco-demons in the "garden" of e1m1.

codeimp.com]Doom Builder is essentially WADED for Windows (even easier to use in fact, no more fiddling with 'Make Sector' that hangs the comp so often in WADED), so perhaps you should try that.

I started with WADED back in 1995 or so, and only switched away from it last year when I discovered DeePSea (which I paid for and subsequently abandoned for Doom Builder... go figure). I wish I had switched away sooner, because I realized how badly WADED was inhibiting my mapping abilities (you can't even make a sector inside a sector without manually defining all the sidedef definitions, or else the program will hang).

myk said:

Perhaps he's a purist that welcomes the bugs as a challenge to entice his creativity.

That sounds like me ;)

When it comes down to it; I still use WadEd, mainly because OF the much-lauded MAKE SECTOR feature, or rather the SEC DEFINE mode... I'm only human, so I've every right to a seemingly silly preference. And that is it. But still, WadEd doesn't really stop me from doing what I want to do, so there's no complaints from me.

VolteFace said:
(you can't even make a sector inside a sector without manually defining all the sidedef definitions, or else the program will hang). [/B]

Yes you can. Draw the innder sector counter-clockwise, then click the outer sector (With the MAKE SECTOR button highlighted) to include the new linedefs, THEN click the inner sector. Piece of cake.

I wondered what VolteFace meant by that. Still I've known no other way than WadEd. I think I tried DEU years ago, found it too complex then never dared return and I've got a shareware editor called Renegade but it's rubbish and limits you to 20 sectors unless you register (still 'limitation breeds creativity' is my well-worn motto!)

I don't have access to the internet at home (I'm at work now) so I can't download. As soon as I do I'll probably give Doombuilder a go since everyone goes nuts over it.

I honestly don't find WadEd THAT buggy. I might not have much reference to compare but I've only ever had the above problem plus one when I first started using it.

purist said:
I honestly don't find WadEd THAT buggy.

That's cause IMHO it's only as bug-ridden as the original Doom.exe was -- therefore as you get into habits as an editor, you tend to instinctively work around the bugs, as much as you instinctively work with Doom's limits.

Personally I love WadEd, but then I've not even tried DB yet, although I will. But I'll probably use WadEd still even then, I'm such a SEC DEFINE whore.