Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

Creative tries to stop id Software with patent

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14459

Prepare to laugh your asses off - for one thing, how in the hell can they patent such a thing when they dont even make GAMES !??

Creative - kiss your ass goodbye.

My planned Audigy soundcard upgrade is now X'ed off of the list.

Christ, and to think this is literally the ONLY sound card manufacturer out there...heh...

Creative is a jackass company. 5.1 surround support will probably be stripped from future ID games UNLESS you buy a creative sound card.

These jackasses patent software algorithyms, which simply put is like patenting MATH. It's bs but our system allows this bs.

The ultra shadow tech is an algorythm simular to creative's. But honestly it's just math. But in order to avoid "trouble" JC has allowed creative to "dumb" down future Doom 3 engine based games to make creative cards the only way to get decent 5.1.

I should take out a patent on "addition". Any company/person that wants to add some numbers together (hey, I think accountants owe me money!) and charge for it has to go through me first.

Don't buy any creative products. Screw these pricks. I'm not buying a creative sound card for any future Doom 3 engined game. Even if they stripped 5.1 support for non-creative users.

These people remind me of land-grabbers. Neighbors that act all nice, ask if they can put a swing set on an old lady's property, quitely make a claim on the property, and then take the old lady to court and "steal" her property.

All perfectly legal, but totally on the slimy bottom of the moral totem-pole.

Too many people like this in this world.

Creative just lost all my future business.

They're just pissed because more and more MB makers are integrating sound right on the board and that steals their business. Oh well, it's a rough world, suck it up.

-E

Totally agree. I'm certainly buying a mobo with decent on board sound on my next overhaul.

The creative card I bought 2 years ago is going in the trash when I upgrade. They'll never see another penny from me.

and to think i was just about to buy an audigy 2 ZS from them to go with my new 5.1 headphones....

nope. not this time fellas.

So wtf, are they going to do this to EVERY new game coming out? Because this is the next step in graphics... wtf.

I just sent them a nasty email, feel free to do the same.

I haven't bought a Creative product in years, and after this I sure as shit never will again.

Hit 'em where it hurts, take your money elsewhere, and make sure your friends all do the same...

There are a whole bunch of linux and mac users that are loyal to id because they have always supported open source. Creative just lost a swathe of business.

Fuck 'em.

It's too bad I bought a soundblaster 5.1 a while back. Well, I cant UNbuy it. So I guess i'll still enjoy my dirty little sound card.

*thumbs down*

see my post in the news to see what i think about it

Okay, this is just silly. No, not the patent situation, though that may very well be the silliest thing in a long time. What's really silly is that this is a message board thread where its "news source" is another message board thread linked to yet another message board thread. Talk about fourth-hand information.

Discussion boards needs to curb this habit of linking to a long chain of similar threads on other message boards for their "news posts." This makes for very unreliable information, and it opens the door to large-scale misconceptions.

Not sure if this is related or not, but last February or so a classmate of mine whose parents work in the gaming industry said that when Carmack went to the patent office for his shadow technology, he discovered that someone had beat him to it just by a week (extremely similar shadow tech)!

At the time I heard this no specific mention of who the individual was came to light. However, now that I've heard about this recent tiff with Creative, I wonder if it was someone there who wrote the algorithim. As such maybe Carmack HAD to strike some sort of deal with them in order to implement his own.

The "algorithm" sucks anyway. It's just so incredibly far from realistic or good-looking.

I didn't see the "stop" action anywhere on what he's talking about, but if they do this, this'll mean Doom III won't ever be GPL'd in the future.

AndrewB said:

The "algorithm" sucks anyway. It's just so incredibly far from realistic or good-looking.

My god, does anything impress you or are you just a living troll?

AndrewB said:

I'd like to see andrewb's algorithm. It'd be a screen full of faces crying and saying "This sucks that sucks blah blah"

Glad to see all of you feel the same way I do about creative.

These guys are going to keep pulling this shit until they piss so many people off that once another soundcard manufacturer gets into business, their asses will be wiped out faster than you can say "patent".

This is a disgrace to PC gaming - I still cant believe something this retarded could happen...I guess I fooled myself, eh?

Well, don't boycott Creative Labs products necessarily because something from the top tried to put Id software out of business. I think my Audigy 2 ZS is an excellent piece of hardware, so is the 5.1 Inspire speaker setup.

The real people who need to be fucking thrown out of Creative are the top corporate business execs who came up with this fucking bull shit.

I will say this, though. If Creative becomes the next Microsoft I will NEVER buy their products again, regardless of my above statement.

A company can still make excellent, top-notch quality products (the Audigy 2 ZS series for example), but when their upper-level executives and business associates turn to blackmail then their public relations goes down the drain.

I'd say this to the administrative portion of Creative:

"Thanks, and good job. It won't be long before your stock drops below the red and then your company will go bankrupt. I'd start by mailing the next 3 years' wages to the innocent workers who have made Creative the #1 audio hardware producer in the world. Afterwards, I'd cross my fingers and pray some ambulance chaser doesn't come in and sue you for libelous comments and capital fraud. Good luck."

[Addenda]: Mailed.

Scuba Steve said:

My god, does anything impress you or are you just a living troll?

There are many impressive things in the world, but jagged hard shadows aren't one of them. Also, YOU using the word "troll" in another person's direction is very hypocritical.

AndrewB said:

There are many impressive things in the world, but jagged hard shadows aren't one of them.

Make better, then.