Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zygar

So, what's your first map gonna be?

Once I've learned the map editor, I'm probably gonna remake Dead Simple from Doom 2. Can you imagine how much fun that would be with the new engine? I loved that map on Ultra-Violence.
Anyway, what will your first map be?

deathbringer said:

Probably a square room, with a light

Don't forget the spawnpoint :)

My first doom3 map? I imagine it will be a few small boring rooms with swinging lights...possibly zombies.

TwiNCannoN said:

Depending on how friendly the editor is I may remake a couple of quake1 dm maps.

Yep -- if the gameplay lends itself to that style (and, I have a hunch that it will), a remake of Quake ztndm3/Quake III ztn3tourney1 would be excellent.

I love that map.

yeah, ztn3 and aerowalk will probably work well since they've been proven in quake3 which is definately closer to doom3 in style than quake1.

However, I think any classic map could work as long as it has a good layout - just need to apply some of the new gameplay features (lighting, objects etc) that I think will be integral to doom3 strategy.

btw, just randomly thought of this for no reason whatsoever: is doom3 going to have water, anyone know? Now that I think of it the quake series has slowly been abolishing it... would suck if doom3 had next-to-no liquid/underwater.

I think that has been discussed. If I remember correctly, there isn't any, but I could be wrong because of memory loss.

square room, light, toilet, and spawn point so I can go crap in my first doom 3 level.

You know, Doomkart or whatever might actually be VERY doable on the DOOM 3 engine. Imagine the cool lighting effects on night-time tracks. :D

mje said:

I think that has been discussed. If I remember correctly, there isn't any, but I could be wrong because of memory loss.

I doubt that. There's lava in Doom3, which means there are liquids, which means a mapper should be able to produce some water in a Doom3 map.
I personally can't imagine that all the Doom3 mappers will be left without an option to add water to their maps. Or nukage. It's unthinkable.

My first map is going to be a level in which im going to test using all the new features like realtime lighting, physics (I've heard it is possible to pick up objects and rotate, and move them around anyway you want), etc.

PS. 600th post!

lol See how many enemies you can put into one huge room without your system melting...

I'd love to have a go at an original Doom/Doom2/Final Doom map, maybe 'The Suburbs' (a big one to do, but for sentimental reasons). Or yeah, a Quake/Quake2/Q3A would also be great.

Arno said:

I doubt that. There's lava in Doom3, which means there are liquids, which means a mapper should be able to produce some water in a Doom3 map.
I personally can't imagine that all the Doom3 mappers will be left without an option to add water to their maps. Or nukage. It's unthinkable.

I know -- it sounds doubtful. It just seems like I read or heard that somewhere.

my 1st map? probably 2 connecting rooms with 12 monsters for a first test. then probably ill make a 2 story place with some interestiong detail, some puzzles, and pack it with monsters.

Sure lots of people will be making "arenas" where poor Doom3 monsters are tossed in the ring and forced to fight each other.

Hell, let's make the colosseum.

BNA! said:

Don't forget the spawnpoint :)

nah, that can wait till version 2.0

oh and carmack DID say that the engine would have absoluteley not submersion in water ever, but it still mihgt end up in there, and it could always be modded in

The first map I'm ever gonna make in D3 (provided that I don't give up underway) will probably be a prison sort of map. I'm gonna start out doing simple rooms. Then I'll keep working on it, polising, restructuring, adding new "tricks" as I learn them.

That map will never be released, but I might go as far as sending it to a select few people and ask them for advice/help. When I start actually getting positive comments, I'll start on a new map and treat it the same way (starting out simple, then gradually add stuff) and send it to "beta testers" and, if I end up getting positive comments, I'll release it :-P

But my "first map" will basically serve as a "practice map" that I'll use to practice advanced tricks (such as scripting if I ever get that far).

Wobbo said:

oh and carmack DID say that the engine would have absoluteley not submersion in water ever, but it still mihgt end up in there, and it could always be modded in

They've said there is no additional "immersion" by adding advanced liquids.
In the same sentence they said R.Duffy has added cool realtime reflections for water.

Don't understand why everybody things there wont be any sort of liquid in Doom3...

BNA! said:

They've said there is no additional "immersion" by adding advanced liquids.
In the same sentence they said R.Duffy has added cool realtime reflections for water.

Don't understand why everybody things there wont be any sort of liquid in Doom3...

he said there would be a reflective SURFACE, his excact words are "the game will have no submersion in water"

He said that you get a game done a lot faster if you narrow your focus, and underwater scenes were one of the things they decided not to do.

In other words, in the SP at least, theres no deep water at all.

Carmack isnt the one to make bad puns lol

I'd like to see Carmark start developing a liquid plugin/patch to his Doom engine. They've got that guy from the Shrek movie with them now so maybe they could figure out how to get the mud effect used in the movie to work in real time. That would be sweet, then mappers could add pretty much any kind of liquid they wanted to a map just by naming some variables that would define the liquid. Something like this would allow designers to add anything from clear stream water to tar in their maps.

I mean, it's the most logical next step to realism.

The original JC turned water to wine.
I challenge our JC to give us water in real time.

:)

-E

Oh yeah, and to stay on topic, my first map will probably be an edited version of one of the maps that ships with the game. I'll turn one of the areas into a deathmatch map for my friends and I then work on something original, I already have some ideas and some sketches for a 3-5 map single-player thing.

Wobbo said:

he said there would be a reflective SURFACE, his excact words are "the game will have no submersion in water"

He did say "there is no IMMERSION in fluids", which I interpreted as "water doesn't add much coolness to a scene, so we haven't spent much time on cool water effects, though Duffy has come up with something neat".

You could still be right about there not being any underwater parts in the game, but I don't see why something relatively simple as submersion in water wouldn't be implemented. All that needs to happen is give the view a shade of blue and lower the gravity for everything that happens underwater.

A crappy n00b map to start off with. I was giving thought to doing my own version of E1M1 when i get a bit more experience.

a SLIGE megawad.

How?

- Run slige and make your wad.
- Run QuakeDM (Quake doom map converter) on all of it.
- Run QuArK (well, when Doom III support for it arrives at the least) and hand convert each level. Compile them all.

BAM SLIGE MEGAWAD FOR DOOM III!