Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niguel

blood on xp = :(

ive had blood on my system and i didnt get it to work on xp, so when i wanted to run it i restarted my computer and started millenium edition instead of xp (as i had OS' on my computer) and it ran fine there. but now that millenium edition is gone, and i recently got plasma pak for blood and wanted to try it out, i didnt remember i couldnt get it work on xp, so the screen got really fucked up as usual and i had to boot. how can i run it on xp?

thanks

I can get every other build game to run under XP with working sound but the plasma pak version of Blood simply will not run.
I can even get the Shareware version running.
http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/ This might help you. It helped me to get all the other build games (and shareware blood) running under xp.

I have Blood's Cryptic Passage, and I can't get it to run because my computer is too fast to run it (runtime error 200). I suspect that you are having the same problem.

I've tried to run this game on my XP but the sound was choppy and now I don't think it works on my XP anymore

I just hope that somebody releases a source port for Blood (like ZBlood or JBlood) and there might be a possiblity that Blood might work on ZDoom in future releases

Several errors I can point out, and their solutions:

1. Blood freezes when picking up Reflect Shot or Scuba Gear.
A1. This will happen on Sound Blaster Live cards. It doesn't seem to happen for Audigy/2 users. The only solution is to run without sound, unfortunately.

2. Runtime error 200?
A2. This is because Cryptic Passage's EXE was programmed in Turbo Pascal, which as any classic game enthusiast knows, won't support faster processors. Look up TPPATCH.EXE on Google, and run that on your CP EXE.

3. Won't run on Windows XP?
3A. Sorry, I don't have XP, so I can't help trouble shoot.

4. Will there be a source port?
4A. Sorry, NO. GT Interactive owns the source code, and there is not a snowball's chance in hell that it will EVER be released. You may want to keep an eye on the QBlood/Transfusion project (planetblood.com/qblood), which aims to remake Blood.

I swear there was a project aiming to create a Blood port using the released Duke3D code, but I can't find any mention of it anymore. I assume there was some more stuff in Duke3D that's useful to Blood than was contained in the Build code from Ken's page, otherwise I have no idea why they were using the Duke code.

I noticed now that GT interactive is now Atari...looks like we might have a plan to get the blood source code released since it looks like Atari now owns the rights to the source code because it used to be GT interactive (they have a forum in their website and that would be a good place to start)

WildWeasel said:

4. Will there be a source port?
4A. Sorry, NO. GT Interactive owns the source code, and there is not a snowball's chance in hell that it will EVER be released. You may want to keep an eye on the QBlood/Transfusion project (planetblood.com/qblood), which aims to remake Blood.

Don't say never because I know that some day that GT Interactive or Atari WILL RELEASE the source code for Blood in the future which you'll never know

WildWeasel said:

Several errors I can point out, and their solutions:

1. Blood freezes when picking up Reflect Shot or Scuba Gear.
A1. This will happen on Sound Blaster Live cards. It doesn't seem to happen for Audigy/2 users. The only solution is to run without sound, unfortunately.

I remember getting an email about that from Ken Silverman on this, years ago. He gave me a hex editing hack to fix it. I still got the mail if anyone's interested..... (Basically disables the reverb)

gargoylol said:

I remember getting an email about that from Ken Silverman on this, years ago. He gave me a hex editing hack to fix it. I still got the mail if anyone's interested..... (Basically disables the reverb)

YES! Forward that to me! I've been unable to run Blood for a couple of years now because of that!

gargoylol said:

I'm interested

Ichor said:

I have Blood's Cryptic Passage, and I can't get it to run because my computer is too fast to run it (runtime error 200). I suspect that you are having the same problem.

This is just a problem with Cryptic Passage not Blood in general.
There is a fix to adress this problem though.

I tried that. It still won't work. I'm not too concerned about it though.

most DOS emulators are poor for XP, hell many need a fairly beefy system to run doom well.
however i would keep tabs on them still. i have used DOSbox and EMU(i think, works with linux) however they lack in preformance.
best bets are... dual boot to 98/95 or drag out or build a older system for older games

Dosbox ran blood for me. I had to lower the sound channels and frequency to get it to at least play. I was able to get on through to E1L3 though! Small screen size, and 9000 frame cycles were set.

Duke3D emulates well too. I completed episode 1 in dosbox. I mod with it on Dosbox too.

Doom actually emulates worse :X

I tried everything to run Blood on my XP..but I cannot do it and Dos box just sucks (it just freezes there and I had to close it) I tried Glidos but for strange reason it keeps saying "Setup not found" and there is also a conflecting problem with IRQ almost everytime that I try to start it normally

GT Interactive better release the source code or they are goin to find themselves in great danger

gargoylol said:

Dosbox ran blood for me. I had to lower the sound channels and frequency to get it to at least play. I was able to get on through to E1L3 though! Small screen size, and 9000 frame cycles were set.

Duke3D emulates well too. I completed episode 1 in dosbox. I mod with it on Dosbox too.

Doom actually emulates worse :X

you do know duke has ports right??
DOSemu was what i was thinking of. the one i have liked the bestest. however i dont thing there is a windows port.

Nightmare Doom said:

GT Interactive better release the source code or they are goin to find themselves in great danger

GT Interactive no longer EXIST, so I think they're quite safe from your geek rage.

Me, I can't seem to get Blood to work under all that BUILDXP stuff. It does the "loading blahblah" screens, then quits out. I'm using the One Whole Unit version, if that helps.

Sephiroth said:

you do know duke has ports right??

Of course I do (JonoF's in particular, a fine port), but i'm just bringing up that it's possible to play Duke3D in DOSbox, not to actually play it seriously.

Blood doesn't freeze in Dosbox for me.

Infogrames currently holds license to anything Blood. People have tried petitions, and everything to try to make them release the source, but it just didn't happen, they weren't interested.

gargoylol said:

Infogrames currently holds license to anything Blood.

Infogrames has = Atari for some time now.

Try and search for a utility called "VMDSound". The above suggestions never worked for me, but with this I got Blood (and some other Build games) working on my XP box. When searching, you ought to stumble on a detailed instruction page for VMDSound as well.