Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astump

Female Character in Doom 3?

I stumbled across a image showing a female with a Pinky demon in the background at megagames.com. I am wondering if this is just promotional, or if it is actually a part of the game.

Well, it's nice to know that ATI says that they'll soon have updated drivers (referring to the article that picture is related to).

Whether these updated drivers actually improve anything, well, we'll see.

alexz721 said:

Well, it's nice to know that ATI says that they'll soon have updated drivers (referring to the article that picture is related to).

Whether these updated drivers actually improve anything, well, we'll see.

I remember a similar dilemma like this that faced NVIDIA last fall when Valve conducted their Shader Day, to test the video card giants' Direct X 9 rendering performance. ATI won it by a landslide. NVIDIA responded that they could solve the issue with drivers, but even Carmack at the time mentioned that their current crop of hardware (NVIDIA's 2003 lineup) was limited with its DX 9 compatibility. In other words, drivers aren't going to solve it, its in the hardware. It seems the same thing is happening again but now its ATI's turn to take the brunt of the performance hit. Funny thing is, they're gonna have to deal with this in the soon to NOW...unlike Half-Life 2 which hasn't even come out yet. NVIDIA has had time to get their act together. ATI is going to have some problems getting back there. I dunno...can these problems be solved solely via drivers? I would think not, but then again I know next to nothing about video card architecture. Someone fill us in.

On the topic of female characters and first-person shooters... can they ever incorporate female characters without it being sexist and/or unrealistically babeish? Because that's as lame as T3.

There's the "They took my baby" thing from one of the G4 videos, so I assume there are women and for some reason babies.

Revenant100 said:

There's the "They took my baby" thing from one of the G4 videos, so I assume there are women and for some reason babies.

can't make sick, twisted, demonic cherubs without a baby :P

Lord FlatHead said:

Well there's a pretty beat-up looking female in one of the Doom 3 review scans.

Yeah, she looks sick.

There was something about a female scientist in the alpha. Dunno if she's made it to the full game though.

Here's hoping doom 3's not gonna get bogged down by tight dressed assasins like return to castle wolfenstein.

Disorder said:

Yeah, she looks sick.

Look at Cloud (doomguy :P) behind her. He doesn't seem too pleased, heh.

AndrewB said:

On the topic of female characters and first-person shooters... can they ever incorporate female characters without it being sexist and/or unrealistically babeish? Because that's as lame as T3.

Go play System Shock 2. In the Midwives, it has some of the most ugly female "characters" I've ever seen.

Shaviro said:

Look at Cloud (doomguy :P) behind her. He doesn't seem too pleased, heh.

Oh yeah, the Doomguy looks a lot like Kevin. Great thing - Kevin´s arm was used for the original Doom weapons.

@AndrewB: The Quake2-female models also don´t look too sexy.

judasboothfan said:

I remember a similar dilemma like this that faced NVIDIA last fall when Valve conducted their Shader Day, to test the video card giants' Direct X 9 rendering performance. ATI won it by a landslide. NVIDIA responded that they could solve the issue with drivers, but even Carmack at the time mentioned that their current crop of hardware (NVIDIA's 2003 lineup) was limited with its DX 9 compatibility. In other words, drivers aren't going to solve it, its in the hardware. It seems the same thing is happening again but now its ATI's turn to take the brunt of the performance hit. Funny thing is, they're gonna have to deal with this in the soon to NOW...unlike Half-Life 2 which hasn't even come out yet. NVIDIA has had time to get their act together. ATI is going to have some problems getting back there. I dunno...can these problems be solved solely via drivers? I would think not, but then again I know next to nothing about video card architecture. Someone fill us in.

Heh. I like how ATI is trying really hard to downplay DooM 3. "It's not the only game out there. Half-Life 2 is coming! You'll see! And Carmack himself said FPS isn't everything! So.... come on, we don't suck THAT bad!"

Too bad, so sad. You're right, it was the reverse situation with Nvidia. Nvidia lost to ATI because ATI came out with a great product at the right time. To gamers (and consumer gamers), all that matters is the NOW, not the supposed future. The fact is, DooM 3 is coming out and by all reports it's going to be the most kick-ass game in a very long while. If ATI's cards don't measure up, they're going to get hit and get hit hard.

This situation would be completely reversed if it were Half-Life 2 coming out and it was Nvidia whose drivers sucked monkey balls and couldn't release their "top" card (ATI's XT) in a reasonable period. Nvidia would be the one hurting. But, it's not that situation. And ATI is going to feel it.

ATI is definitely going to feel it from me when I trade in my X800 Pro for a Geforce Ultra. Right now, DooM is the only thing that matters. And I am not alone in that mindset.

-Jomero

Deathmatcher said:

@AndrewB: The Quake2-female models also don´t look too sexy.

What are you talking about? They look great (sexy)! :-P

dsm said:

What are you talking about? They look great (sexy)! :-P

I agree. Except the Crackwhore was a bit overdone (but that was the point, if anyone else remembers exactly why she was made in the first place).

Sigh. It's too bad Paul Steed (the guy who made all the models) was fired from iD just to spite Carmack. For those of you not in the know, Carmack wanted to revisit DooM and make a DooM 3. The other management didn't like that idea one bit. Carmack held his ground and refused to do anything else. Others on the team backed Carmack. The other managers HAD to give in to John's demands, because without Carmack, iD is effectively neutered. But, they fired Paul Steed because they could and the only reason for it was to spite Carmack because he forced them to go with DooM 3.

And now it looks like DooM 3 will net them an insane amount of money. I really hope Carmack spits in the faces of the ones who fired Steed (can't remember specific names). Paul was a stud. Not only did he create awesome models, but he kept in very close touch with the regular fans like us. He was our "in" guy, and kept us up to date with what was going on at iD.

-Jomero

well, the nvidia card actually has more pipelines than ati's (like 16 i think versus ati's 12). im sure software can smoothe out some things and boost the ati's performance by a handful of fps, but architecture is a serious problem. writing software to fix it could actually slow things down if it forces the card to interpret the information in a really roundabout fashion.

or i could be completely wrong.

All I wanted to say, was, that the quake 2 models look at least like soldiers, not like babes.

And by the way: Who´s "our in-guy" now? Fred Nilsson perhaps, he is the only one who ever answered one of my infamous "my 2 cents on doom3"-emails ;-)

ID is a equal opportunity company.. so they need to put women on there.

BAd (racist) Joke Ahead!!!!!

But they don't have black people in the game cause they don't work in the future either.

Sorry for that but my friend just told it to me.

insertwackynamehere said:

Deus Ex had plague victims who were female. They reminded me of the scan.

Same here. The woman with Harvey Filbin (or what's his name, the guy who gives you the statue key) in the first mission looks just like that.

I'm sure there will be dead people of all sexes and races laying around after a demon rampage..if you can even tell what they are after the imps have peeled thier skin off and turned thier skull into an attractive but functional floor lamp

Hm, there was a Jurassic Park FPS where you played as a woman (you could even see boobs when you looked down, which was probably its main selling point to the CS-Kiddie audience), but unfortunatley instead of playing properly they went for some "innovative" Virtual arm thing that had you knocking things off shelves and blundering around while trying to pick up a clip