Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwiNCannoN

Just noticed something, re: left-handed weapons

Page 8 of the PC Games german article, whoever has it; there's a cell in there that I'm pretty much sure confirms the inclusion of left-handed weapon option, I know some people were interested in this.

here, clipped it out

Could just be a right-handed weapon shot which was mirrored by the magazine publishers for display purposes - I've seen this alot in game magazines.

AndrewB said:

Pff, meaningless.

DO EVER POST ANYTHING POSITIVE?!

I don't think it would matter what hand your gun would be in, unless it's like Soldier of Fortune where you can shoot around corners with the corresponding hand.

i dont see what the big deal of having left handed , right handed shooting...

its a damn game and which ever hand is used it will still play the same way..

the only games i actually dont mind seeing left/ right handed options is in sport games

To some left-handed people who want to feel like they are the space marine, it IS a big deal. It's also not that difficult to program in. iD included left-handed weapons in Quake 2. It wouldn't surprise me to see it in DooM 3.

I'm right handed so I'll be playing it the default way. But I at least see the value of adding in left-handed weapons. If it's a feature that will only please more people and not affect others, why get your panties in a bunch over it?

Im left handed but because I never changed the left or right hand I never thought I was missing something but to someone who has played games for years like that sure I could see how it would be cool.

AndrewB said:

Pff, meaningless.

Your not a tool your the whole fucking toolbox.

Trilinear said:

Another reason to bring in left-handed weapons: the original doomguy was left-handed!

Yeah that's the biggest reason (actually he's ambidextrous). The new Doom Guy would seem more like a wimp (to me anyways) if you can't choose handedness like in Quake 2. I can't stand playing games sometimes because of their weapon view being on the right side (it feels like there holding no gun at all and I can't really feel it in the gameplay. Don't know how to explain but I think you know what I mean). I prefer to play with my left hand but living with a family of right handers has pushed me to play with my right hand also (they move the mousepad sometimes to the other side and I'm to lazy to move it back so I just leave it). I still prefer my left hand. I just don't think about which hand I'm using as much when I use it. When I play with my right hand though I start thinking right away about it but it goes away eventually after a couple nightmare matches with Major in Quake 3 (warming up).

Tyockell said to AndrewB:

Your not a tool your the whole fucking toolbox.

LMFAO

Holering said:

actually he's ambidextrous

Yeah now that I think about it - he holds the shotgun right-handed, but punches and uses the pistol with his left hand. The player sprite uses his "all-purpose" weapon right-handed as well.

You know we could just rename this thread "why we think andrewb should have a lobotomy to prevent procreation" and cut the crap.

But then again we would probably end up renaming 2/3 of all forum threads since "Registered: 05-00."

Although I do agree left or right-handed weapons are completely meaningless, I’m a left handed person and its never caused me any problems before anyone who says that it’s a huge inconvenience is probably trying to excuse a “sucking” problem.

bah

left handed weapons really threw me off in counterstrike

for some reason my psg-1 skin (which was a kickass g3 skin) always wanted to be on the left. same with the m4.

that really messed me up for the longest time.

They should have centered weapons (like Doom). I wonder if you can pull your dick out to piss on things, and if you can use your opposite hand to hold it (right handed but hold my dick straight when I piss with my left). Of course these are big "ifs".

insertwackynamehere said:

They should have centered weapons (like Doom).

Since Quake 1 you could alter the position of a weapon onscreen using the console. So it's likely that the same or similar commands will be available in Doom III since Carmack used much of the Quake III technology as a base.

insertwackynamehere said:

(right handed but hold my dick straight when I piss with my left).

No comment!

Actually what I'm worried about more than the weapon placement onscreen is the "bobbing" action of the game screen and weapon. The *best* bobbing action was in the original Doom. The slow swaying of the screen and weapon was just brilliant. It really made you feel like you were trudging through the level with a backpack full of heavy weaponry.

Quake1? Awful. The weapon just changed it's frontal angle and didn't sweep across the screen.

Quake2? Terrible. They brought back a bit of swaying but it had no *consistency* dammit! The weapon was all over the place in lame little jerks. Awful movement physics as well.

Quake3? Better. If the screen didn't roll slightly when you walked, and the weapon *stayed put* when it was swaying it would have matched Doom. Fortunately the screen roll could be tweaked in the console.

Yep I need a life :)