Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Doom 3 [H]ardware Guide

[Hard]|OCP has posted their Doom 3 [H]ardware Guide which tells us more about the Doom 3 those of us with merely mortal machines will experience. Of interest are some of the configuration menu screenshots.

There are also screenshots that show off the comparison between the various levels of graphics quality, so have a look.

Maybe it's just me, but every time I see comparison tests of different settings/graphics cards I never see any difference at all. The only thing that seems to make any kind of visual impact is the resolution.

Either way, I'm know my computer can handle the game without problems.

-E

yea, the HardOCP guys said with this game go for higher res before you try to crank up the AA or AF.

Endureth said:

Maybe it's just me, but every time I see comparison tests of different settings/graphics cards I never see any difference at all.

Yeah same here.

I'm glad that the game looks good at low setting. I am lucky and have a computer that will run in High Quality mode, but a good low quality picture shows me that Id did a solid job.

They have a more comprehensive benchmark round up now, from min spec to the best you can buy.

www2.hardocp.com/artical.HTML?ART=NjQ0

Looks like I'll be playing @ 800 x 600 with high details.

XP2500
5700 ultra
1GB Ram

yeah, im sure a lot of people will be relieved (though somewhat disapointed). i was definitely surprised by how good the game looks even on low/medium settings.

though i dont really know the differences to look for if i take off AA and just boost the resolution upt to 1600x1200 (though ill probobly leave on 2x or 4x AA and just drop it to 1024)

Sweetness! 800 x 600 high quality EAASILY for me! Maybe even Ultra. My god this is gonna be SWEET.

Looks like I'll be running at 800x600 and Medium quality with an average of 50fps. Good enough for me. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I think it actually looks very good at low quality, more so than I expected. And the settings screen looks neat.

"Real World" Hardware testing! 3 pages of mid/low end systems and 8 pages of Super-High end systems that of course EVERYONE can afford!

Heh, my system will barely be able to run it (my CPU is a little slower than the minimum, but they say the minimum runs smoothly so...), but I can't afford the upgrade at the moment so I'm a little relieved. All down to the waiting now.

i have a pentium 4 4.2
1 gig ram
geforce 4 ti4600 128 mb

I though I was going to play a deamn shit graphics game with my hardware, but i saw in the hard ocp page that with my specs I can play at medium quality, wich seems to be good enough to have a good doom3 experience, as the knowledge you may have, do anybody consider that is true?, with this specs to play at medium quality with 60 fps???

60 fps is already the cap. But I guess you will have a smooth experience around 30 fps when picking 800x600 / medium quality.

I thought grame devine was the sound designer? The article says Christian Anktow

1024x768 High quality 8xAF @ 47fps, holy crap thats good for 'old' tech.

although the huge dip to 7fps near the end looks a tad nasty :(

They said the last part where it dips was a cut-scene. I'm willing to bet it's drawing a fast camera movement, or a lot of action like an explosion with lysics objects everywhere or something.

Yeaa only place i think im fucked is with the stealth diamond s90 GF5200.... it is DX9.0 compatible though so I'll get to use that stoked heat wave thing.

Wobbo said:

I thought grame devine was the sound designer? The article says Christian Anktow

Devine left id Software some months ago. I´m not sure if he was fired or went volunteerly. These two things are often close together at id.

Meh, I'll probably have to play it at low quality at 640x480. Damn 1.5ghz piece of junk.

bah now i have to spend $3000 to buy a system i'm happy with for running Doom3.. meh.. my 2.5 ghz, radeon 9700 pro, 1024 megs ram will get turned into my new backup rig.. PFFFT

great my 3.0 GHz 1 gig FX5700 LE 256 will be able to run the game on high setttings at 1024 * 768. My 5700 is still good....yea!!!

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

I like the graphics options. Very straightforward. So I just pick high quality, which then automatically turns on 8x AF, then in advanced options select 4x AA, adjust the res and I'm ready to rock. Easy. I think if you plan to use HQ mode and AA, that in the graphics driver panel in windows, you just select "application preference" and then in Doom 3 is adjusts it all.