Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SupremeGeneral

The "City" in Doom III

Something was on my mind and I would like some imput.

There is a scene in the Doom III trailer, (right after the lost souls morph the security guard into a zomb-commando), and I could swear I saw what appeared to be a "city" in the center of a whole mess of research facilities and canyons.

Is this a city? And are there streets?

Or is it just something else?

-The General

There was a city outside the mars facility in the e3 alpha, however i think that was quickly made specifically for the alpha and to only add a bit of depth to the game for visual purposes, since it was quite early development.

I recon the full game will just be the mars facility, with the mars landscape being the only visible environment.

As the story will be a re-telling of the original story, will it include the story of Doom II: Hell on Earth? If so, I could see a city being easily integrated into the storyline. However, I do not know the extent to which it is retelling the story.

astump said:

As the story will be a re-telling of the original story, will it include the story of Doom II: Hell on Earth? ...

Doom3 is mainly a retelling of Doom, rather than Doom2. It plays on mars, not on earth. So you will most likely not find a typical Doom2 city in Doom3 (Like map12-map20).

Coopersville said:

The marines and scientists need somewhere to live.

Yeah, but not in huge open skyscraper areas. I´d suspect them to live in dim lit quarters within the base.

Deathmatcher said:

Doom3 is mainly a retelling of Doom, rather than Doom2. It plays on mars, not on earth. So you will most likely not find a typical Doom2 city in Doom3 (Like map12-map20).

although doom took place on phobos, deimos and hell...

heh "Call of duty doom" actually that would probably be really really badassed.

I was speaking of running through the destroyed ruins of cities while fighting hordes and hordes of enemies with a handful of men at your side. Obviously doing that would get rid of the intimacy that the doom 3 engine was built for and will never ever be done, professionally.

Relica Religia said:

Perhaps Doom 4 will be a retelling of Doom 2. That would look like a kickass game too. :D

they said in the g4 vid that doom 3 will be the end of rehashing for them

I don't think that comment will hold much water, Carmack is well aware of the Rehash goldmine.

Didn't he comment before on remaking titles like quake 1 and quake 2 with newer and better graphics engines then in turn selling the game for a cheaper 30$?

Plus ID software is also working on Quake 4 witch is admittedly a rehash of quake 2.
I think we’ve got a lot of “hash” to go through yet. Witch I might add isn’t really a bad thing.

Apparently the whole UAC facility is so big one might call it a city. One of the reviews described it as a 'depressingly postmodern corporate park'. Which sounds great to me.

Raven is working on Quake 4 using the DooM 3 engine. id is now working on a new name (using an updated doom 3 engine ), I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Black Hand said:
I don't think that comment will hold much water, Carmack is well aware of the Rehash goldmine.

True, but I would hope that he wouldn't take such notice that id would turn into Nintendo, ya know?

Ten to one there's going to be an expansion pack for Doom2, and it will feature the "doom2 - hell of earth" theme.

Well, I meant city on the MARS base, but good to see the imput...

As for Doom-3-2, Hell On Earth 2, OMG the possibilities with the engine!!!!!!!

Xipher said:

Raven is working on Quake 4 using the DooM 3 engine. id is now working on a new name (and engine to go with), I can't wait to see what they come up with.

actually carmakc did clarify the new game will be based on a Improved version of the doom 3 engine

i guess he knows there is more things can be done with the engine

Yea, forgot about that, thanks for the correction, Will edit the post acordinly.

Also, on the subject of the city, if you look at that lobby screenshot in the HardOCP Hardware guide, you notice it has "Welcome to Mars City" there. ;)

Relica Religia said:

Perhaps Doom 4 will be a retelling of Doom 2. That would look like a kickass game too. :D

I bet someone will make a mod for DooM 3 that is totally based on DooM ][.

"Raven is working on Quake 4 using the DooM 3 engine. id is now working on a new name (using an updated doom 3 engine ), I can't wait to see what they come up with."

Id software is helping to create Quake 4 with Raven the same way as they helped create Heretic with Raven.

Uh, Id software licensed the engine to Raven and are only assisting them on a technical basis with newer engine technology. Raven now owns the rights to Quake 4, so Id software is NOT developing the game.

The same way Id helped create Heretic? Id offered a small degree of technical assistance - enough just so that they were competent enough to map for it and understand how BSP worked. Id didn't develop one thing for Raven other than an engine hull.

Also, speaking of Raven, I wonder how much it will set them back to have to use the D3 engine and re-code the game for EAX audio now that Creative went demonic on Id?

I hope Quake 4 will not become a second Duke 4ever. It has been in development for years now and still almost no material has been released.