Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Robert Duffy says "1 gig of memory great for Doom 3"

Another quote from hardstuff

Given a 32-bit windows environment, how much RAM should a gamer have in his PC if he wants to see Doom 3 running at it's best? Should that gamer go for more RAM is he switches to 64-bit windows?

Duffy: 512 mb ram is ideal, and if you're trying the game in ultra quality, you'll want 1 gig or more. We don't do anything specially for a 64-bit OS.

So, I guess running in high quality that 1 gig should be enough.

Yay ! Another specs thread ! I'm on 512MB, might consider buying another 512 next month. I'm sure it won't make that much of a difference to the game experience though, as I'll probably be playing in medium quality most of the time.

I don´t think that MORE than 1 Gig will make such a big difference. 1 Gig, however, will make a difference over 512 MB, IMHO.

Skeletor said:

...with a geforce 4 mx420 64mb card. YES!

Sorry, but I just gotta say this: BAHAHAHAAA! Might as well disconnect the computer and try to play Doom3! That card is gonna get you nowhere, they are easily the worst graphics cards available with performance lower than that of a Geforce3. I'm sorry, but I can only advice you to buy a better card and if the money's not there for a great one, then go for a Ti4200. Ok!? :)

The easiest way to see the difference between 512 and 1 gig is to fire up Far Cry Demo or game with only 512mb of ram.

You'll get massive swapping.

Go to 1 gig and NO pauses. Just smooth all the time.

I'm thinking it will be the same for Doom 3.

Chris Hansen said:

Sorry, but I just gotta say this: BAHAHAHAAA! Might as well disconnect the computer and try to play Doom3! That card is gonna get you nowhere, they are easily the worst graphics cards available with performance lower than that of a Geforce3. I'm sorry, but I can only advice you to buy a better card and if the money's not there for a great one, then go for a Ti4200. Ok!? :)

I see you didn't detect the sarcasm in my typing.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? I'm sure Doom III will run just fine at med-lo details. Heck, the alpha looked and played alright at 20fps. I'm sure now that Doom III is optimized for many possible video cards, It will run better.

Hmm, "512mb is ideal." Looks like I'm all set then. The fact that it's PC3200 and from Corsair probably helps too.

iv'e got 1 gig ram (dual) 3,0 ghz p4 and a radeon 9800 pro....so iam ready!!!! COME ON DOOM3

1.5 GB of PC3200. I think I'll manage. Oh, oh, and my GEFORCE 6800 GT came today!!! Yipee!!!!!!

The new article states that there is no noticible difference between 512 and one gig. The only big difference is after 2 gigs. Check out the summary; it pretty much states that the graphics card is the most important factor anyway.

Scabbed Angel said:

The new article states that there is no noticible difference between 512 and one gig. The only big difference is after 2 gigs. Check out the summary; it pretty much states that the graphics card is the most important factor anyway.

I have one word to say...... shit.

Godshatter said:

but i got a 64-bit chip

Which does nothing for the game.

2 gigs doesn't make a difference. A gig is all you need. a gig or MORE for ultra quality.

I intended to upgrade my system, but after a brief check of the prices that comes with higher resolutions and frame rates I decided that it isn't worth it. It's not even close. No wonder that the console market is moving forward at the expense of the PC market, it's the insane computer prices.

LOL, only got 512 megs, but then I run linux, and don't have all that XP bloat hogging the memory. I think I'll be fine. :)

...when they get around to releasing the linux binaries anyway... ;)

2.8Ghz, 512mb RAM and one of those old ATI 128mb 9600s.

It runs some older games (Jedi Outcast, AVP2, UT2003, WC3, etc.) in 1024x768 with details set to full whack, so i'm hoping that i'll manage to get Doom3 to chug along at a bearable rate in low res, low detail modes.

the lone crouton said:

LOL, only got 512 megs, but then I run linux, and don't have all that XP bloat hogging the memory. I think I'll be fine. :)

...when they get around to releasing the linux binaries anyway... ;)

/i no its not much but I pretty much end all processes in windows when I run games.

I have 1.5ghz P4, 512mb ram, and a Radeon 9200 (128mb), i dont ever go over 1024x768, should i be good to go for doom 3?