Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Simple question

Whilst playing Doom (or a source port of Doom) how many of you use the HUD (Heads Up Display)? I don't personally, as it seems to take away the scant realism that playing Doom provides. What about the rest of you?

Yes and no. I don't like the bigass one of the original but some of the abridged HUDs tickle my fancy. I especially like the one of Boom and PRBoom.

Speaking of HUDs, what about one that only comes on when you ask it to or when something is affected? Like when you try to open a locked door without the key... what keys you have will be displayed. Evertime you take a hit it shows your health then disappears, same for ammo. Does any port have that option?

Something else thats been missing from ports... what about time display? I don't mean the current game time, I mean the RealWorld© time. I remember being late for school when I was deathmatching back in 97, I bet this could help a few people. 99.99% of users won't touch it but a few people will love it, right?

Of all the new features of them I'm really surprised these two aren't there yet.
1) Transparant. You can select the opacity in the menu to your liking. The whole thing is there but at the same time you can see right through it. =)
2) Weapon icons for mice with wheels. Anyone switched weapons in UT with the wheel? Icons for every weapon pop up on screen and the one you're currently on has a red box around it... this is really handy when you have a big selection of weapons and constant switching can eat up valuable shooting time.

I liked how Unreal had the HUD options where you could have it at the top of the screen with small icons, or at the side, or large icons at the bottom. And yeah, I do use the HUD, because with Lock and Load, the ammo flies a little too fast sometimes. But meh.

A simple question asked by a simple person. Just kidding DooMBoy. To answer your question, no I dont use the HUD.

What I never do is using full screen without any status bar or HUD at all, because I feel the importance of the info they provide and they don't take too much space. I like the DOOM status bar, because it provides the info needed, because we're used to it, and also because of the marine's mug. The mug really helps you to know and to feel when you're in a bad shape, it allows you to know the direction of the attack, and it's too bad that it's a feature you don't have in most of the non-ID games.

Of all HUDs I too like BOOM's most, because it provides all info, plus secrets/kills/items, which is cool to know in mid-level, not only in end, and because you can configure it in several different ways, to your convenience. Also the option of the colored digits in the status bar is kinda cool too, although some will prefer the bloody red style of the original.

Yeah, Boom definately has the best HUD...too bad Allegro has to fuck things up and make it one of my least favorite source ports...

Yeah, Boom definately has the best HUD...too bad Allegro has to fuck things up and make it one of my least favorite source ports...

Try PRBoom. You'll have to use Timidity to get midi but the sound is definitely a lot more compatible.

I do use the HUD, or atleast some form of it(like in Legacy, no HUD, but important stats on different areas of the screen.), and sometimes with out it. Usualy my friends and I don't use the HUD at all so that we don't know our health or what weapons we have.

it allows you to know the direction of the attack, and it's too bad that it's a feature you don't have in most of the non-ID games.

That's one of the best things about the Half-Life HUD. With the doom one, I rarely notice him looking left and right, cos I'm too busy looking at what I'm trying to kill.