Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MikeyScoots

Barrel Explosions

Is there some way to have a mapspot spawn not the barrel but just the barrel explosion? I'm trying to achieve a self destruct sequence here with exploding flames(barrel explosion) at some spots and can't find anything on it. If you can't do this, what do you suggest I can do to achieve this wanted effect?

Bloodskull said:

If you can't do this, what do you suggest I can do to achieve this wanted effect?

Another (admittedly clumsy) way to do it is to spawn a moving rocket near a wall where you want the explosion to occur. It's best if the rocket spawns somewhere that is not visible to the player.

Take an object you dont want, and give its 'alert frames' the barrel explosion in dehacked, then when it 'sees' you it will explode. This might work with scenery (like poles or pillars), but when i did it i used the lost soul, it also made the pain elemental into a dangerous 'explosion launcher'

If this is ZDoom (which it sounds like) you could create an invisible decorate monster that blows up as soon as it spawns. Add some explosion graphics for death frames and define it in zdefs.acs, so you can use Thing_SpawnNoFog on it.

I replaced my barrel sprite frames once with a blank sprite, later set some barrels and used thing_destroy to blow them up. If I wanted to set explosions I just spawned them with spawn_nofog at decent z heights and immideatly destoryed them after them being spawned.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

If this is ZDoom (which it sounds like) you could create an invisible decorate monster that blows up as soon as it spawns. Add some explosion graphics for death frames and define it in zdefs.acs, so you can use Thing_SpawnNoFog on it.

You can as easily use Spawnspot for it and you don't need to bother with the spawn id then.

Or you could just put a thing with a type of 136 in a dormant state and when you walk over a certain line, switch it to normal.

In a file called DECORATE.lmp, inserted into the wad. If your editor can't do this, XWE can.

ACTOR Explosion : Rocket
{
Spawn Parent Death
SpawnID 200
}

In the script:

#define T_EXPLOSION 200 (at beginning)

When you want the explosion:

Thing_SpawnNoFog(n,T_EXPLOSION,0);
Where n is the mapspot.