Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
judasboothfan

Emulated surround sound good enough for Doom 3?

Recently purchased a surround speaker set for my comp for Doom 3. Altec Lansing VS3151. Decent enough sound for the price (US $60). This thing can emulate surround in 2/4 channel, but since I don't have the inputs required for actual 5.1/6 channel (have onboard audio, no actual sound CARD), I'm not really getting the real deal. Tested the emulation with the Fight Club DVD. Sounded great. And I was able to select 5.1 surround in the menu (obviously or I wouldn't be hearing the surround). What I want to know is if this will work for Doom 3's surround capabilities. I'd like to think so, since this thing can emulate 5.1 on DVDs well, but since this is a game its a whole other ballgame for all I know. If anyone knows whether or not I can still utilize Doom 3's surround sound features in 2/4 channel surround emulation, let me know. If not I guess I'm gonna be in the market for an Audigy 2 or something similar.

I don't think the sound engine in Doom 3 is vendor-specific, so you should be alright with or without a Creative Labs card. To the best of my knowledge, EAX Advanced HD(TM) [CAN'T FORGET TRADEMARK THEY MAY SUE ME FOR COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!] is NOT in Doom 3. It will only be in the future engine license products for 3rd party development.

Forgot to mention this: What's weird is my onboard sound chip has 6 channel/5.1 support, as indicated in the mainboard manual. Only thing is the speaker set requires two additional plugs for implementing 5.1, one in which my current setup doesn't have (black and orange outputs). Only outputs I have aside from the standard green one are a blue and red one. And those seem to be for mic and line in. Been fiddling with the connections for several days but to no avail. I have no idea how the hell I can enable 6 channel without the proper outputs. How the heck can my onboard sound support 6 channel but not possess the proper outputs required to utilize it? If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I don't want to have to shell out extra money for a sound card if I don't have to.

Is it an NForce/2/3 SoundStorm setup? I think for that you need to plug your speakers into the other input ports like the mic and stuff for 5.1 setup... That's how mine works!

Laguna said:

Is it an NForce/2/3 SoundStorm setup? I think for that you need to plug your speakers into the other input ports like the mic and stuff for 5.1 setup... That's how mine works!

Well that's exactly what this c-media mixer program for my onboard sound asks for. For 5.1 it asks to plug the additional cords into the mic outlet and what not. But it doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other. I don't get sound out of like 1-2/3 of the outputs on the back of the computer (from the speaker inputs).

I first thought about speakers but since I live in an apt and don't want to wake the neighbours up at 2am with shreiks and gunfire,I bought Zalman 5.1 headphones to plug into my SB Audigy ES. I just hope they work with it as I am out of town and haven't had the chance to try them till I get home. Anyone else have this combo and what ports did you plug the Front, Center and Rear jacks on the headphones into?

Thanks in advance

High

My Nforce2 board has 5 sockets. 2 for mic and line-in, 3 for front, center, and back.