Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duncan

Anticlimax??

There are many doom fans who complain about the IOS Doom climax. So, to satisfy their needs, what alternative ideas would anyone have for a map 30 that still provides an oomf at the end? Just some weird thread (im probably guilty of repeating something but this is not a what do you think of the IOS thread its how not t make a final level an anticlimax)
What im trying to ask is if the IOS wasnt an option, what would be your ideal map 30 or last map ummmm.....thing??

I think a new boss that only appeared in that level to protect the Icon of Sin would have made the last level a lot more interesting. Remove the rocket timing thing on the elevator and just make it so you're rockets are level with the brain once it reaches the top, but the boss is between you and the Icon of Sin while the Icon spawns more monsters behind you. I was picturing something like the Mother Demon in Doom 64 that can shoot multiple homing rockets/projectiles at once so you're not safe no matter where in the room you run. Once the boss dies, you have a clear shot into the Icon's brain, which somewhat forces you to have to fight to win rather than just get lucky with the rocket timing.

I always thought it was odd that the spawner of all demons would just protect itself with one Revenant, but at least he was my favorite enemy. I think I used his name for something, too.

Heh, I just remembered a map30 I made one time. All I did was take the current one and add ALOT more spawners and spawnspots(and barrels everywhere). It was a riot! :D

Id just make the doom 2 end boss a modified Cyber daemon that spawns monsters out of his head, It would also have the Cyber daemons Rocket launcher on one arm and the Spider masterminds Chain gun on the other. Then give it the spider masterminds legs and poof you’ve got one hell of a daemon to fight.

Due to the hit scan spider mastermind weapon and the supreme splash of the rockets the level would have to be altered a little Just make the stairway shelves have those “Battlement” like stone slabs. The level would also require more ammunition and general supplies for it to be “winnable.”

Ichor said:

big

I agree completely. Think of the sudden tactic changes needed to bring that down...

Someone should try to make that monster reality within Doom. That would be so cool.

Someone did make a sprite out of that recently. It only had one frame though, and it was greatly reduced in size.

Black Hand said:

Might be something special to look at in another 700 frames.

That would quite literally take up near all the frames available in the DOOM2.EXE, give or take 10 or 20 of them, IIRC.

Revenant100 said:
I think a new boss that only appeared in that level to protect the Icon of Sin would have made the last level a lot more interesting. Remove the rocket timing thing on the elevator and just make it so you're rockets are level with the brain once it reaches the top, but the boss is between you and the Icon of Sin while the Icon spawns more monsters behind you.

Memento Mori's map 30, "Viper", has something similar to this. A Cyberdemon's placed within the hole you have to shoot rockets into. As you're firing rockets at the boss brain, the Cyber's in the way and fires rockets right back at you. :-)

You can chicken-shit your way out of it, though, by BFGing the Cyber from below (where you have lots of moving space) before pumping rockets into the exposed brain.

Someone should try to make that monster reality within Doom.

That can easily be done in Doomsday, a bit of ded editing and using a model and there you have it.

Except for the fact that its over 2000 units high. (Yes I worked it out. :P)

Except for the fact that its over 2000 units high. (Yes I worked it out. :P)

What difference does that make?

If that was a model, sure, if a sprite, then it wouldn't look too good as a really tall sprite.
BTW-Dani, where's my mail >:(

I always wanted to make a Map30 replacement that had some kind of tower in the middle of a maze or something that works like the icon of sin. That in itself would have been cooler than the original, IMO. Dunno why they didnt think of that.

Darkhaven said:

That would quite literally take up near all the frames available in the DOOM2.EXE, give or take 10 or 20 of them, IIRC.

My bad I just judged it based on many of the Red Alert 2 icons i've made. I already realized my "estimation" mistake.

Danarchy said:

I always wanted to make a Map30 replacement that had some kind of tower in the middle of a maze or something that works like the icon of sin. That in itself would have been cooler than the original, IMO. Dunno why they didnt think of that.

That is cool, but remember that doom had limits back then, it would be kind of tricky to do a maze unless you made it really small. Also, where would the cubes come from? Where is the demon that ID had in the storyline? :P