Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nightmare imp

Just curious about MD2 models

Created in MAX, Lightwave, Maya, SoftImage or other 3D Modelling programs. Most of the time they're painted in Photoshop or PSP, and then exported from each's program propietary format into .md2 by some nifty plugin.

Hell yeah, basically every goddam game that came after Quake 2 has a better model system than MD2.

Could we use MD3/MD4 or UMX? (Sorry can't remember Unreals model format correctly) or are we stuck with the MD2 format and those TERRIBLE models? Mind you, the guy Updating them for Jdoom is doing a decent job, pity bout the textures.....

MD5 is a full skeletal enhanced model that supports literally a million triangles. The number gets optimized to run in your current hardware in the AGP T&L stage while the pixel shaders (or Carmack´s variation) takes the entire model as input data. As MD4, we should expect multiple textures and a shader script too.

i would like to see someone redo the doom 3d models. some are good but they all need work. the cyberdemon was horrible. If i knew how i would make new ones but i dont have the knowage to do so, or the money to buy MAX

or the money to buy MAX

And that's a problem for you?

IMO, if someone's going to redo the models then he should follow this simple plan :

1) Make them complex, I don't care about your 0.0001 fps in Hell Revealed.

2) Make Hexen models too :P

I also want some more Heretic MD2 models... other than those flying chimps.

Oh right, So MD5 does exist, my apologies. I thought it was speculation.. but judging by that description..they are an incredible step foward....

Zaldron:

I agree. I want GOOD models. Nice n Purty High Polycount ones.... (yes I deliberately mispelt pretty) but yeah, Can we use md3/4 in a doom source port? If so well cool, how about Reborns models? (I know Reborn was scrapped, but we could put them in the game they originally were based on surely?) Or just make the MD2's nicely! I would volunteer for trying when I can model, but I'm still learning..... and can't afford friggin MAX/Maya.....Milkshapes good, but well once I have to register it, I'll stop using it........which is a big problem, any other ones available?

doom would require a rendering system the equivilent of quake III to run anything more complex than an md2 i think. I'd make modells except there extremly difficult to make if you've never used a modelling porgram before. Skins are even more of a bitch cause of the stretch factor. But md5's would be nice...

Oh right, yeah probably. hmm. Also I have used various modelling programs....namely milkshape, but I never got far, I either lost interest or something else caught my attention, I have made a VERY simple dilbert model, if anyone wants a look, (hardly even looks like it!) and yeah skinning is a bitch. but I might try again............one day

Come Bigbadgangsta- join the dark techno nerd side!

Techno Nerdish? Don't Think so.....
As for the Models, as I've been saying the guy who's updating the models for JDoom are getting better. go get them for the time being....I don't think they work for other MD2 capable ports.. so........hmm

the average poly count on a md2 model is about 800. a md3 is at least double the amount, iirc.

Actually is easier to make hi poly models. Mostly because of the skinning. In 800 poly models there's no geometric detail, forcing you to skin everything. And that's not easy when your model hardly looks like something.

When you have 2000 or 3000 polys, though, it's really easy. Shapes are better defined and actual geometry from the armor/weapon/helmet/spike/neck/whatever can be isolated and easily skinned. MD3 are perfect choices for this because of the several textures you can use at the same time. MD4's are skeletal enhanced, and that would take too much to implement in a source port.

Zaldron.
Right, thats good, so source ports can handle md3.
but they use md2 atm might as well stick with them, cool very informative.

I agree. I want GOOD models. Nice n Purty High Polycount ones.... (yes I deliberately mispelt pretty) but yeah, Can we use md3/4 in a doom source port? If so well cool, how about Reborns models? (I know Reborn was scrapped, but we could put them in the game they originally were based on surely?) Or just make the MD2's nicely! I would volunteer for trying when I can model, but I'm still learning..... and can't afford friggin MAX/Maya.....Milkshapes good, but well once I have to register it, I'll stop using it........which is a big problem, any other ones available?

Yes, the Reborn models looked pretty good, though there's only five or so finished. I guess you could contact Demon about it and ask real nice.

Can't afford Max or Maya ? Hey, I have Photoshop, 3D Studio Max 4 and Microsoft Visual Studio here, and I didn't pay a dime. I know this isn't the place to be talking about warez and all that, but if you have a decent internet connection you can download all that off KaZaA or some other file-sharing program.

Sue me.

I don't think they work for other MD2 capable ports.. so........hmm

Well, they seem to work with ZDoomGL, but they look and act a bit different.