Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crisis King

Doom 3-2

Hey all, I'm new here (I don't know why I haven't signed up before, I'm a huge Doom fan). Anyway when Doom 3 comes with the level editor I'm going to spend my spare time recreating the Doom 2 levels with the Doom 3 engine. I probably won't make it into a mod because I'm not a programmer or anything but yeah. I was just wondering if you think this is a good idea or not? And if I do this should I make the levels as CLOSE as possible or just make it the same layout etc...

Your thoughts please...

EDIT: LOL, I just saw the other threads here. Damn maybe I should've used the "Search" feature! Oh well.

Pretty much every classic doom fan who's planning to play doom 3 (including myself) is planning to recreate the old maps. There's a few pwads I'd like to do as well though.

Heh, basically what I said in another thread already talking about this kind of project: Recreating classic Doom maps to get used to the editor is a very good idea, exploring and playing with the physics, lighting, etc., but trying to be serious and make a mod out of already existing maps, not that great of an idea, something that will be done over and over, and eventually get annoying (already is and we've only had two projects devoted to this :P ).

Melfice said:

Heh, basically what I said in another thread already talking about this kind of project: Recreating classic Doom maps to get used to the editor is a very good idea, exploring and playing with the physics, lighting, etc., but trying to be serious and make a mod out of already existing maps, not that great of an idea, something that will be done over and over, and eventually get annoying (already is and we've only had two projects devoted to this :P ).

I hope you are talking about mine. ;) And no recreation project shall surpass the level of greatness of MINE! >=)

Well, there's only one really good thing about so many people doing these, and that's that it'll be interesting to see the variations of how so many different people recreate maps.

Another serious problem though with tryin got be really serious about these though is that no matter what revisited maps can never live up to expectations, because obviously the old maps are nothing compared to what the Doom 3 ones will be like in their complexity and detail. Some things from the old maps I even say would look ridiculous trying to map in the new engine because if I were the one mapping I'd be thinking "oh god, why am I doing this? Something so simple in such an awesome engine looks just plain stupid."

The thing I advise anyone whose going to be switching over from editing classic doom levels to Doom 3 levels, or who've never edited before but have played alot of Doom, is this: Doom 3 is and isn't Doom at the same time. I know that's odd, but when you think about it, there's just as many things in Doom 3 that make it what we consider "Doom" and what we wouldn't consider "Doom", and that's something to consider when mapping.

Crisis King said:

Hey all, I'm new here (I don't know why I haven't signed up before, I'm a huge Doom fan). Anyway when Doom 3 comes with the level editor I'm going to spend my spare time recreating the Doom 2 levels with the Doom 3 engine. I probably won't make it into a mod because I'm not a programmer or anything but yeah. I was just wondering if you think this is a good idea or not? And if I do this should I make the levels as CLOSE as possible or just make it the same layout etc...

Your thoughts please...

EDIT: LOL, I just saw the other threads here. Damn maybe I should've used the "Search" feature! Oh well.

Bags Dead Simple.

Well that's the first level I'll do, like a test if you will. I'll post it up here and see if you guys think I'm heading into the right direction.

There was a run of doomworld pics of the day (when it had them) of MAP01 remade in various game engines, including Q3 and Half Life, and i think there was a Q2 one as well..presumably after doom 3 comes out there will be a rush of "check out my map!" threads with screenshots of a room with two pillars, triangular steps and two zombies..

Hasn't ID already said they don't want to see anyone recreating the old IWADs in Doom 3?

I doubt theres much they could do to stop it though.

Crisis King said:

Your thoughts please...

If you tried to make a reinterpretation of Doom 2 with more believable maps that exploit the architechtural capabilities of the Doom 3 engine, then I'd tip my hat to you.

Hell, if you were able to show some kickass screenshots, you could perhaps even persuade me to pen out the storyline :-P

Of course, I would probably prefer that several veteran mappers and coders (who would understand the code language that Doom 3 uses as well as how to script stuff in the engine) got together to do something like that.

Well I'm a student in 3D Animation and I use 3DS max 6 for characters and stuff (mainly for film) but I think I'll try my hand at mapping. We'll see...

Sounds to me like creating the city levels would prove to be a seriously huge problem (and system-demanding!!) in the DOOM 3 engine. Not to discourage anyone from doing it, though. it would be awesome, in the end, I would imagine.

Amaster said:

Pretty much every classic doom fan who's planning to play doom 3 (including myself) is planning to recreate the old maps. There's a few pwads I'd like to do as well though.

I'd love to do a port of the DWANGO DM maps. Only problem is I forgot who authored the Danzig maps and those were my favorite. :/

Mogul said:

Sounds to me like creating the city levels would prove to be a seriously huge problem (and system-demanding!!) in the DOOM 3 engine. Not to discourage anyone from doing it, though. it would be awesome, in the end, I would imagine.

Well, it's not necessarily that big of a deal if you're talking layout-wise. For example, Doom2 Map13 was a few thousand square units and not to mention I think it would be feasible to implement area portals and backplane clipping to help with the rendering issues. Only problem is that placing area portals in a large urban-themed map like that would be tough and it would require a lot of concentration and planning.

But here's how I say it:

Golden rule for mapping: THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY AROUND IT.

How about ACTION DOOM: SHATTERED SOLDIER? A new Action, that's even more hardcore?

:)

You know... like Contra: Shattered Soldier. It had similar gameplay to the first Contra games, but the graphics were great, and it was very, very difficult. (until you learned the strategies, of course)

Action Doom based around the DOOM 3 engine -- just a thought.

Heh.

DaniJ said:

Hasn't ID already said they don't want to see anyone recreating the old IWADs in Doom 3?

O_O

I seriously hope not. I would love to recerate doom1.

Ya, all classic Doom levels/aspects with sweet graphics. All it would take to give the classic Doom feel is to speed up Doom guy's movement and balance things out.

DaniJ said:

I doubt theres much they could do to stop it though.

Well, it being intellectual property, and with my experiences trying to remake Doom 2 on Half-Life (which was coming along nicely), Todd Hollenshead says, verbatim: "We don't want to see Doom2 on another engine. We like Doom 2 just the way it is." John Carmack felt the same way.

Keep in mind I was doing things the dumbass way and stealing copyrighted property and putting it in another engine. Using the Doom 2: Hell on Earth title IS ILLEGAL because it is intellectual property, just like using the exact same textures and maps. However, making a new "mod" that places the player back on Earth and doing it to the tune of the Doom 2 beat is probably not illegal. Just don't use the exact same map layouts and ESPECIALLY textures and map names, and you'll be fine.

I wonder if id would favor our ideas by throwing in some earth-ish textures and even offer their own advice (God willing THEY make Doom-2, remake!!!!!)

And if someone or id DOES remake Doom 2 with the D-3 engine...

Level 10 - Refueling Base, Level 13 - Downtown and Level 16 - Suburbs would finally fit their names, each 100%, and, most possibly, get world fame for the monumental accomplishment. Wouldnt you gasp at playing in a perfectly recreated and realistic metropolis???

21st century gaming, anyone????

-The General

deathbringer said:

There was a run of doomworld pics of the day (when it had them) of MAP01 remade in various game engines, including Q3 and Half Life, and i think there was a Q2 one as well..presumably after doom 3 comes out there will be a rush of "check out my map!" threads with screenshots of a room with two pillars, triangular steps and two zombies..

I still have the halflife one from that POTD

SupremeGeneral said:

I wonder if id would favor our ideas by throwing in some earth-ish textures and even offer their own advice (God willing THEY make Doom-2, remake!!!!!)

And if someone or id DOES remake Doom 2 with the D-3 engine...

Level 10 - Refueling Base, Level 13 - Downtown and Level 16 - Suburbs would finally fit their names, each 100%, and, most possibly, get world fame for the monumental accomplishment. Wouldnt you gasp at playing in a perfectly recreated and realistic metropolis???

21st century gaming, anyone????

-The General

I doubt thats going to be possible... if you want open spaces and stuff use unreal tournament's engine... id seems to have been gravitating it's engine tech into the 'less is more' catagory from quake1 to quake 3 not many of the maps really take advantage of open spaces with decent detailing/shader fx