Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IronGiant

Most unusual/out of the ordinary WAD?

What do you consider to be the most unusual (but still very playable) WAD file?

I'm thinking of something that has all new textures and potentially even LOOKS impressive. Maybe something in a natural setting? Maybe something that (gasp!) doesn't even involve shooting (I know, a strange thing with Doom, but what the heck).

I don't know, just throwing around ideas here.

Thoughts?

I dont know if it will work with Jdoom, and i dont really care cause you obviously care more about graphics than game play (or you think you do anyway, try turning the models and lighting off one day and notice how you still dodge around in your seat), that and its pretty shitty, but The Sky May Be is the wierdest thing ever made for doom

If you're interested in a wad that is designed not to involve shooting, then try Cyberdreams. It's a good and very unusual megawad. I'm not completely sure if it works with jDoom, since it needs a dehacked patch, and jDoom doesn't support all dehacked features.

In any case, you'll get far more out of Doom if you are willing to use something other than jDoom when a wad requires it. Pretty much all ports support dehacked, apart from jDoom and Doom95.

One of the most creative and unique wads is Asylum of the Wretched. It is also possible to play this map without shooting (or otherwise harming any monsters), though that wasn't necessarily the creator's intention. Again it uses a dehacked patch though, so I'm not sure how it would work with jDoom.

Grazza said:

If you're interested in a wad that is designed not to involve shooting, then try Cyberdreams. It's a good and very unusual megawad.

Oh, just working through that--very inventive and original. Its great

Loads of unique wads out there but none are coming to mind right now....

BHS_DM2.WAD

I don't remember the download link for that one, but I did remember the full name of it. It's a really old WAD, dating back to like 1995/1996, if I'm not mistaken. It's a set of 6-8 maps. It's about a suburban high school being overrun by the hellspawn. The texturing in it is real weird. And the soundeffects have been taken from various sources, such as Beavis and Butthead cartoons.
Don't know if any of you played that one....