Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile

Compet-N videos @ Radix's site

The movie runs are twice the resolution, since I thought it would be easier on the eyes to have higher quality vids for the longer runs. That and it makes downloading over 70 short runs a bit faster.

This is a great idea. It's much easier to point a friend that's new to the DOOM scene to a video, rather than try to teach them about lmps and how doom2.exe won't work on XP, and they need to get a port, blah blah blah. :)

Agreed. One hell of a job, Drew! BTW, just how did you do it? (i.e. what tools did you use? I'd be interested to try to convert some demos to .avi's myself...) Looks like you used glBoom or prBoom as the engine?

It's GLBoom, and yeah they came out pretty cool. A fine way to show people DOOM speed running.

One tidbit that might be useful, though; standard Windows resolutions (e.g., 320x240) will give better display proportions than the standard resolution (320x200) for video, because Windows isn't stretching the pixels like DOOM does; so 320x200 seems a bit flattened out in the AVIs.

I used Fraps 2.0.0 (the full version, you can probably guess how I acquired it). Since Fraps only captures videos in GL or D3D games, GlBoom was the only possibility since it can also play back original exe demos.

I like the negative effect that results from invincibility as well. :)

The videos that get written to the hard drive from Fraps can be several gigs in size, since the resulting screen captures are quite large; the video (and sound) are uncompressed at first. I then used VirtualDub (1.5.10) to compress the videos down to something a bit more managable.