Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brookhaven M.D.

Doom4?

I know Doom 3 will be out, but anybody think this would see the light of day? If Id makes it, i proberly would be a remake of Doom 2: Hell on Earth. I think it would look interesting, and maybe Trent would actually do the score. Just a thought.

Highly doubtful that id would make another Doom game, from what I gathered from their comments in one of those G4 videos they are pretty much done with the Doom/Quake series entirely and want to move onto fresh stuff.

It's completely possible that another outfit could produce another Doom, however, if id is willing to give them the rights. Just like Raven is developing Quake IV.

i think there was even disagreements and such about doing doom III. i highly dout there will be another doom game from Id. possibly another company could make it but i dout it.

Trilinear said:

It's completely possible that another outfit could produce another Doom, however, if id is willing to give them the rights. Just like Raven is developing Quake IV.

Yeah, it was done before - sort of: Final Doom and Doom2 Master levels.

I don't know about you but I just can't see id software making an RPG.

gargoylol said:

Maybe a game based on the original plans of Quake? (You know, the RPG-ish one)

Heh. There were a ton of different original plans for Quake. One of the first was that you were Thor and you wielded mjolnir (the hammer) and that was the only weapon you ever got, but it could be upgraded to do different attacks, one of which caused earthquakes. Hence, where the game's name originally came from.

But yeah, I remember the RPG idea too. It got into development after the Thor idea, which is why many Quake levels include medieval textures. But the idea was scrapped about halfway during the implementation for a futuristic/space game. But then that idea kinda got scrapped to. So, they combined the two and tried to make it work. For most part, it sort of did.

As for DooM 4, I wouldn't mind one. It would be cool to play a more cohesive "Hell On Earth" with a real storyline than just a mishmash of cool levels (this is under the assumption that DooM 3 does not include hell on earth into it's storyline).

RPG idea doesn't sound bad. It seemed to me the commentary in the Doom 3 video stated plain on: This is the last doom, and the current quake under production is the last quake. A large amount of the staff doesn't like Quake at all, but it's obviously not fiscally responsible to not make it now that they have the engine for it.

It seems the staff prefers single player, at least not mindless quake (I'm not condeming quake-- most multiplayer fps are mindless). Maybe an RPG is in their future. I don't dare say the MMORPG word. Oops I did. Well I really doubt that's their plan and I really hope it isn't as well. From playing MMPORGs all I can say is no matter how good your intentions are neither technology nor people are sophisticated enough at this point to handle it.

An RPG? It would seem a bit strange Id doing anything other than a FPS, but who knows?

Epistax said:

I mean an RPG/FPS combination of sorts.

Mmm... I don't think that would work. Id games (so far) are all about action, so incorporating RPG elements.. I don't know why, I just don't see that happening. But like I say who knows...

gargoylol said:

Carmack loves his D&D. Don't forget that.

Very true. I read about those D&D sessions in 'Masters Of Doom'.

I certainly hope not. I just hope Quake IV is as well-done as the concept art indicates, or I'll get bored of the high-tech warfare FPS setting altogether.

Jomero said:

As for DooM 4, I wouldn't mind one. It would be cool to play a more cohesive "Hell On Earth" with a real storyline than just a mishmash of cool levels (this is under the assumption that DooM 3 does not include hell on earth into it's storyline).

Why do I get the impression that people think that "add-on packs = bad storyline"?

And I think it's pretty certain that Doom 3 does not include "Hell on Earth" for several reasons:

1. There are only 28 levels (revealed in a recent review) - not enough room to portray the entire Doom 1 and Doom 2 storyline into one. Even if they did, the pacing of the story would be too great, too much of a rush.

2. Id have said time and time again that the game takes place on Mars and in Hell. If Earth was an additional setting, they'd have said so I'm convinced.

3. It will require far too much extra effort to create a convincing Earth city setting along with a Martian research base setting - much better if they focused on either setting separately.

4. No screenshots showing Earth-like locations.

Jomero said:

Heh. There were a ton of different original plans for Quake. One of the first was that you were Thor and you wielded mjolnir (the hammer) and that was the only weapon you ever got, but it could be upgraded to do different attacks, one of which caused earthquakes. Hence, where the game's name originally came from.

The name Quake actually derives from id´s early D&D sessions where Carmack had a powerful charakter named Quake. Originally, they wanted to create a game named "Quake - the fight for justice" after Commander Keen (you can find the announcement in Keen 1) but dropped the idea for another Keen Trilogy and later Wolf3D and Doom. They picked up again the idea of Quake in...well: Quake.

Mjolnir's Hammer, which I bet was Thor's main weapon in the planned Quake, made a cameback in the first mission pack :D

dsm said:

Why do I get the impression that people think that "add-on packs = bad storyline"?

Well, most of the time it's true. But I wasn't implying it there.

DooM II's levels don't flow together very well, and many of them serve no story purpose other than to be a cool level (unless you'd like to tell me just what the hell "Tricks and Traps" was for in the storyline). DooM II did have a story, but you had to search for external means and/or ONLY read the cutscene texts to really figure it all out.

I think a DooM 4 - Hell on Earth would be a great game as now they could really emphasize story over "super cool awesome levels." Not that super cool awesome levels being the focus is a bad thing. Back in 1994 it was a great thing. But try releasing a game with practically zero story and only awesome levels nowadays and you'll end up broke. Gamers have evolved into wanting interactive movies, for the most part.

-Jomero

If someone does Doom 4 it should have dismemberment. There, I said it, I like blowing body parts off in games.

doom4 no,
but guess what?
every one else is going to expand on doom3
soon we will have lots of games just like it or better.
wont be the exact same thing, but this is how pc games work
diablo came out, and a few years later look at all the diablo tpye games we have now.
games like ever quest and DnD games came out, and now look how many RPGS there are, all basicly the same thing but all adding there own spin.
warcraft - age of empires - wc2, - AOE 2, wc3, n so on....
along with like 10 or more like games.

so, doom3 with all its glory is just the new 1st, just the starting point for the rest to fallow.

just my 2 cents.

If anything, I'd like to see an expansion or add-on for Doom 3 that goes into Doom 2's "story".

hah. if doom 3 gets as famous as I think it will be, I bet fans will remake the goodamn maps of doom II to the new engine
and If i find the 3d editoe aasy, bet that I WILL do maps for it ;)

They've already set the stage for Hell on Earth. When you first start Doom 3, you're standing in a hanger. There are two computers in that hanger that show you what was unloaded from the ship you arrived on and what was loaded back onto it: destination Earth.

There were 3 classified items and two boxes with organic 'specimins'. That right there tells you that they set the stage for Doom 4. Whether they do it or not is a different story, but they ready if they get the urge.

-E

ID isn't owned by a giant parent company, and because of this economic wise they cant afford very many "dry seasons" in terms of gaming, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turned to doom as a Financial booster any time in the coming years.