Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smobien

FX 5200

Anyone running Doom 3 with one of these? If so, how does it perform/look?

thx in advance

'GeForce FX 5200 128mb'

Heh, that guide is a great read but it can only help so much. Hopefully I'll have the game later today, and since I'm also using the 5200 I'll post on how it runs on it tonight.

Yeah that guide is really biased on 256 meg cards. I have a brand new 5900 128 meg and it isn't in the guide. I will just see how high I can crank it on 1024x768.

I'm also one of those people who's stuck with a simple FX5200, I'd like to see how well it runs D3 myself (probably 640x480, medium settings?).

Snyp3r said:

I'm also one of those people who's stuck with a simple FX5200, I'd like to see how well it runs D3 myself (probably 640x480, medium settings?).

Quite wrong. "Being stuck" huh? I'm "being stuck" with a radeon 8500, and I play at 800x600 med settings all things on.

How many freakin' threads of this same old tired crap are we going to have? If you have a card that's newer than a geforce3 or radeon 8500 then you'll be fine.

I think we're just those people who are obsessed with worrying about our hardware, and nothing except the real game with make us stop worrying :p

Snyp3r said:

I think we're just those people who are obsessed with worrying about our hardware, and nothing except the real game with make us stop worrying :p

Then people should stop asking over and over again whether or not their card will work. Short answer: if it's on the list, it'll run fine. There are too many other factors, like specific system specs, that will cause one person with an fx5200 to experience it differently from someone else who may also have an fx5200.

Well thanks for the info anyways.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before. Im quite happy with my 5200. Its not the fastest card out, but it has full DX9 support, and 128mb DDR ram. Now keep in mind I bought this Fall 2002 for 75 bucks. Now thats a steal. I still see them going for 90+ bucks in stores.

Anyways, happy fragging guys. I'll be trying Doom 3 shortly.

Ok, I tried it out. Awesome stuff. The 5200 with 128 ram will set you to medium quality. Not too bad at all. The smoothness of the game will depend on your other settings. My processor doesn't hit the minimum so things get a little laggy at times for me. But this is important: UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS. You might not have the same problem as me, but I was getting a bright green color wherever a glass surface appeared, and the game was running ass-slow. Once I updated my drives the game became playable. That's not to say you shouldn't think about upgrading, but you won't have to to play Doom 3.

Well I just got my computer today, and with the 5200 in it im running painkiller on the highest of everything and its running quite well so im pleased.