Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odex

Monsters evaporates

Ok, as you all know, if you shoot "too much" at the monsters, the Soldiers, they evaporate skin -> skeleton.

Every other monster evaporates no matter how much or rather little you shoot at them, they vanish instantly after they're killed.

Is there any way to turn this off, with a cfg, console command or anything like that?

I think it would make for a much cooler game experience, this is the only thing that annoys me with Doom 3, if the monsters hadn't vanished instantly after they're killed (except the Soldiers which need some more shooting, or a real good hit) they game would be perfect.

It's ragdoll in the game so there's some real cool death scenes sometimes, but sadly, too few because they usually evaporate before you get to see the tumbling and stuff...

Pff. That's stupid. Disappearing monsters? Somebody please explain to me how that is realistic and immersive.

AndrewB said:

Huh? Graphical realism is the game's main selling point.

Ok, and as the cap'n asked, how would a demon's death be graphically, and accurately, portrayed?

Certainly not by fading away like Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future.

As to how it COULD be realistic, I suppose its muscles should go limp. as it crumples to the floor. If it's a limb wound, then maybe it should scurry away and bleed to death over a few minutes. But it's up to ID to do it right; not me.

Alright, here's the flip side of that coin, you see, nowadays, when the bodies DO stay, the second the kick the bucket, they turn into holograms, and you can just wonder through them. Now how is standing inside a dead bodies realistic or immersive?

And hey, are dissolving bodies really unrealistic? Don’t vampires turn to dust when they are killed? Aren’t vampires a kind of demon?

Besides, it’s not like doom 3 is the only game to do this. Aren’t you a big fan of goldeneye? Didn’t the bodies disappear in that one?

Captain Red said:

Alright, here's the flip side of that coin, you see, nowadays, when the bodies DO stay, the second the kick the bucket, they turn into holograms, and you can just wonder through them. Now how is standing inside a dead bodies realistic or immersive?

That's not realistic either. But don't imply that those are the only two possibilities.

And hey, are dissolving bodies really unrealistic? Don’t vampires turn to dust when they are killed? Aren’t vampires a kind of demon?

That's all fine and good, IF that's worked into the story somehow. But if it's done for technical reasons, AND people still claim that the game still is very realistic, then those people are just wrong.

Besides, it’s not like doom 3 is the only game to do this. Aren’t you a big fan of goldeneye? Didn’t the bodies disappear in that one?

Correct. In fact Goldeneye immediately sprang to mind. The thing though is that Goldeneye was never misleadingly touted as super-realistic or graphically immersive. Goldeneye was optimized for fun factor.

They're hell spawn. Look real close to the annimation of a disapearing demon. Looks pretty realistic to me. Its exactly how i would expect a demon from hell to vanish after i owned its ass.

Hmm. I haven't seen it, so I don't know. If it just disintegrates and floats away like a ... dang, can't remember what movie bad guy does that ... then that's probably not as bad.

They made the disappearing Demons into a part of the plot, so in a way it'd be unrealistic to have the bodies stay (not to mention a huge FPS strain).

Geeze, people seem to go out of their way to bust on Doom 3 around here, can't just be happy with a good game. Actually, the evaporating bodies aren't that bad. As much as Doom 3 is aboot atmosphere, it's still pretty much the same action as original Doom, at least the way I play it. I don't spend my time looking at dead bodies, I clean up and area, get whatever I need, and move on. If there's anything cool to look at I do it on the way (though I do look into crevices for hidden items). And the actual disappearance isn't the bad. It kinda looks like burning paper. But it's pretty fitting for Demons.

By the way, for the record, this is probably the first time since... Pokemon, I suppose, that I wasn't disappointed with a hyped up game.

Guest42 said:

Geeze, people seem to go out of their way to bust on Doom 3 around here, can't just be happy with a good game.

IF it is a good, fun game, then great. The evaporating demon thing is no knock against it. However, many people tout Doom 3 as being an EXPERIENCE, where people are scared and immersed through some amazing graphical achievement. Well, as has been discussed in this topic, I'm quite certain that it is not the latter. So it had better be the former (as you mentioned).

AndrewB said:
Well, as has been discussed in this topic, I'm quite certain that it is not the latter. So it had better be the former (as you mentioned).

So, because the demons evaporate, you cannot be immersed in any thing else in the game? is that what you are saying?

Holy shit this all sounds so stupid. "Wah Wah Wah its not realistic because the demons decentigrate!" Its gibbing! Id invented gibbing in the original doom when imps or zombies exceded a specific damage count. Now its even cooler. Nothing is more satisfying then plugging an imp with a shotgun blast and watching him burn away! Unless you've ever killed a demon before and watched him die, dont come here bitching about how doom 3's death scenes are not realistic.

i know whay the bodies does evaporate... because the game is made for pc and xbox... and the f***ing console can't keep bodies in game (memory limited)... doom 3 it a has a stupid game engine for that... no offence!!!
i hate id software for that!!!

this topic is full of idiots. The disintigrating bodies look awesome. I love how the imp burns up. It looks very realistic to me. Oh and when all the flesh is torn off leaving a skeleton that falls apart. That looks sooo damn awesome. It is crazy. I cannot see why people knock it. And i doubt id software made them die that way to make the engine handle it. They probably did it so that people's computers could handle it. Just imagine it now if all the dead bodies were everywhere. "ooooh doom only gets 5fps on my box, wah wah, whinge whinge". Some people will never be happy. Anyway, doom 3 is now my favourite game of all time.

For the love of God people just ignore AndrewB. He's waste of atoms who should've been banned years ago.

The disappearing corpses really piss me off but I recognize them as being necessary. As apposed to recognizing them as a way to needlessly insult doom 3 and its fan base in an ongoing charade that’s lasted years.

(Ok kids now guess who I’m talking about!)

I read somewhere that when you kill a demon in the base it goes back to hell, right? And you can't really properly kill the demons without the soul cube and even then the bodies should disintergrate? So what's the problem?

It would be cool though, if after a great battle you could scramble over the corpses like they were part of the scenery.

Disintegrating corpses look great I think, much better than a corpse lying there taking up room. Personally once a demon's dead, I want him the hell out of the room so I can get on with the game.

AndrewB said:

But it's up to ID to do it right; not me.

And they did something, didn't they.

When I made this thread I didn't mean that the evaporation of the demons is unrealistic or doesn't look great, I think it does look great and it fits the environment and story. As someone said, the demons don't die, they just go back to hell. And I love D3, I can't say anything bad about it, there's just this one thing that I don't like because in D3 you have ragdoll, and I've seen some cool death scenes with the soldiers which doesn't vanish till you shoot "too much" at them. With the demons I only get to see the very first second of the death scene because it's "terminated" by the evaporation thing. I just think it would be cooler if they didn't disappear as fast as they do, why not wait with the evaporation till at least three seconds after they're killed?

I also think it would be cool if they stayed the entire time you were on that level, but we all know that's not exactly good for performance though it would create a cool atmosphere.

I agree with odex--it would be nice if the demons would wait a few seconds before burning away.